Sugar ? For Squirrelly

Decorating By llj68 Updated 3 May 2005 , 6:41pm by SquirrellyCakes

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 3

When you sift your sugar, do you do it immediately before using it? Or, can you do it all at once into a container and then use it over the next few weeks?

I bought a big bag of 10x and I'm thinking I could get Kailey to sift it all for me (she loves sifting) into a Tupperware and then use it from there.

Do you think there will be a problem with doing it this way as opposed to right before use?

TIA for your help!!

Lisa

2 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 3

Hey Lisa,

I sift my PS in advance when I think about it. My daughter will usually sift it for me too. I put it in gal size ziploc bags & store it in my pantry. It's a good idea to do it ahead! Saves time! Go for it~

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2005 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 3

You can sift it ahead of time, but this is why I don't. For one thing, changes in humidity effect icing sugar, no matter how well sealed it is. That is why there is cornstarch in our icing sugar, to stop the humidity in the air and also the natural humidity or moisture in the icing sugar from causing clumping. The other reason I don't is this. Once placed in a container, the icing sugar settles, in other words there is less air in between the particles and so since I go by measurements of 5 cups of sifted before I use it, icing sugar, I would likely end up with closer to 6 cups by the time it has settled.
I know that this isn't a big deal for a lot of folks, but I am pretty picky about it only because I truly do notice a difference. I didn't always sift icing sugar, but I did notice a difference in my icing once I started to follow this method.
The other thing, some people buy huge amounts of icing sugar when it is on sale or just to have it on hand. Well the longer it is on hand, the lumpier it can get. Also sometimes when you get a really good deal on huge amounts of it, it is for a reason, so be cautious.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%