How Do You Choose A Name?

Business By meghanb Updated 3 May 2006 , 5:50pm by Jenn123

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 2 May 2006 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 13

I am just starting to do some cakes for people other than friends and family. I would love to make some business cards, and I am working on a website....but I am at a total loss for a name.
Right now I have the watermark "Cakes by Meghan" across some of my pictures, but I don't think it sounds particularly special.
Any ideas would be appreciated, as well as any suggestions on how to come up with a name.
Thanks!

12 replies
janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:53am
post #2 of 13

Hey I'd love to help but I'm in the same boat myself. Every name I come up with, my husband says its corny. Right now I'm throwing around "Delectable Designs" or possible "Simply Sweet". I got these names by looking up adjectives in a thesaurus that are related to cake decorating and art, etc. Good luck...(wish me luck too!) birthday.gif

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:53am
post #3 of 13

Hey I'd love to help but I'm in the same boat myself. Every name I come up with, my husband says its corny. Right now I'm throwing around "Delectable Designs" or possible "Simply Sweet". I got these names by looking up adjectives in a thesaurus that are related to cake decorating and art, etc. Good luck...(wish me luck too!) birthday.gif

ariun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ariun Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:15am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghanb

Any ideas would be appreciated, as well as any suggestions on how to come up with a name.
Thanks!

I don't know why, but the first thing that popped into my mind was "Meghan's Dainties". Maybe 'cos "Meghan" sounds kinda petite and delicate to me. icon_razz.gif Hmm hope that didn't conjure up images of lacy underthings or something. Sorry.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:21am
post #5 of 13

sometimes people use nicknames or names of kids or other special things as a name. i use "smashcakes" because it's what you make for a kid's first b-day,now noone but me and people REALLY into cakes gets it, but it's cute. are you doing all sorts of cakes, just weddings, etc?i've seen monikers like "a cake above" hopefully this helps you , cause i'm not good at actually coming up with names

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:31am
post #6 of 13

hi ALL!

What about Meghans sweet creations? or sweet creations by Meg? I picked Iced Dreams Cakes. I was trying to go for something a little more formal as I do more weddings. Meghans Delecitbles(not sure if that is spelled correctly) I love to try to come up with names.

Sweet Treats
Sweet Temtations

Hope this helps
Bestest,
Dawn

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:51am
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the ideas, this gives me something to work with.
Unlike my husband's idea....Mad Meghan's Cakes.
He was trying to merge Mad Hatter and my name...I think it sounds scary!

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 3 May 2006 , 4:25am
post #8 of 13

Meghan, just sit down and start writing down anything cake related. Sometimes you'll come up with a good combo on accident. Sometimes, a business name will just click with something inside you....a yah...that's it moment. I love my business name Into The Oven and I still have WOW, I'm really glad I chose this one moments. I was forever telling someone, "Hold on, let me get this cake into the oven." Have fun with it and let us know what you come up with.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 3 May 2006 , 4:35am
post #9 of 13

janetwhitson -

I kinda like Simply Sweet.

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 3 May 2006 , 4:53am
post #10 of 13

Bittersweet Tiers....play on words...just came to me this minute so I thought I would post

JollyRoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JollyRoger Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 13

Meghan,

First - how big do you plan on becoming? If selling cakes is going to be just an occasional thing, the name you chose isn't really that important. If people like your cakes and rave about them to your friends, you could call yourself the Muck Bucket Bakery and still get plenty of orders.

If you want to grow and begin selling online, that's another ball of beeswax. That's when you need to take time to create a unique, compelling brand that sets you apart from the rest.

Either way, I would start by picking up the phone book or local bridal guide to research the names other folks in your area are using. You'll definitely want to avoid a name that might be confused with somebody else.

Try to come up with something sticky - a name that will stand out and be easily remembered. "Sweet Delights Cake Designs" is a fine name, but something like "Frost Bites" would really stick in people's heads.

Also, don't underestimate the power of using YOUR name. It might not seem that exciting, but this angle worked just fine for Mrs. Field and Famous Amos.

If I were to make a suggestion for you, it wouldn't be all that different from what your husband came up with, how about:

"Meghan's Mad Batter" or maybe "Mad Batter Bakery"

Your logo could be a little guy with a cake for a top hat - ugh, that might be a little too much. Anyway, you get the idea.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll do great!

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 13

How about ,

Meghan makes marvelous cakes!

It's a little long but it's catchy.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 13

It needs to be short, easy to remember, and tell what you do. If you plan on using a website, try to find a name that is available as a ".com"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%