Airplane Question

Decorating By Lady_bug768 Updated 11 May 2007 , 1:29pm by jmt1714

Lady_bug768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_bug768 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:31am
post #1 of 14

I'm taking a trip soon and was wondering if anyone else has traveled with cake decorating supplies. What did you take on the plane and what did you pack in your carry on.

Thanks.

13 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:55am
post #2 of 14

I did it a couple of years ago and I packed everything in my checked luggage. Be prepared though because they will open the bag to check things out(so I wouldn't pack anything else of value in there or something that could easily fall out). When we got to our destination I opened my bag and there was a card that said they had opened the bag to check the contents. Guess all that metal set something off! icon_lol.gif They are so funny about carry on stuff now I just take my purse, medicine and the diaper bag!

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 14

I was wondering about this too! I'm going home to NY this weekend, I live in FL, and my family wants me to make a cake for an event on Sunday. I told them the only way I'd have time is if I made some things in FL and brought them up with me.

I'd hate to make fondant to have them say, "Throw it out!" b/c I'm doing carry-on luggage. I don't think they would b/c it's not liquid, but what about buttercream? It's not liquid but it has fluidity!

Help!

dodibug Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 14

I found this:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#10

From the way it looks I don't think you could carry-on any of it.

lesyorkwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesyorkwolf Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 14

I am a flight attendant and would say that any food items the TSA might get at little weird about. The tips should be fine, just pull them out and place on the tray to save you the time and hassle. If you are questioning something, I would put it into checked luggage. Nothing worse than having them tell you at security that it's a no-go, then you will really be scrambling. icon_surprised.gif

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 14

I think the BC is a no-go. I flew a week ago and anything cream/liquid/lotion/etc. had to be under 3.4 oz. or it was confiscated and tossed.

Good luck with your travel!

Susie112562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie112562 Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 14

I flew from Houston, TX to Jackson, MS with fondant and gumpaste roses in an egg carton. I had the egg carton inside a ziploc bag to protect the roses as it went thru the scanner. But when I was in Austin, I heard that they wouldn't allow rolled buttercream on board (not sure which airports). Good Luck.

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 14

you might try to overnight it through the post office
write ---- fragile and perishable goods ----on the box and pack it well
and get tracking, and make sure someone is at the other end to except it
this way you will be sure to get it and don't have to worry about airport security and if they will throw it out
and it also depends if it is worth the overnight expense to you

I send my son grandmas home made easter bread every year this way
---get it to post office before 12:00 noon and he gets it the next day before 12:00 noon---from michigan to arizona( I send it to his job since no one is home during the day)
I usually pack 2 9"round bread and some other goodies in the box ----cost about 23.00 kind of pricey for bread, but you cant beat grandma's easter bread

MikkelPaige Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for all your helpful information! I would agree that if the hand lotion isn't allowed through, buttercream's probably similar and the same rules apply.

And thanks for posting the TSA permitted food and drinks!

I'd love to overnight it but at this point that isn't an option AND it's so expensive to do that! But maybe in the future!

Thanks!

MikkelPaige Posted 4 May 2007 , 12:31am
post #10 of 14

GOOD NEWS! TO ALL CC VIEWERS!

I emailed the TSA today to ask them if "fondant" was okay to bring on board as carry on...and they emailed a generic response.

HOWEVER here's a line from the email that was their reply: "Passengers are allowed to travel with pies, cakes and other bakery products through security checkpoints. However, doing so may necessitate random additional screening prior to boarding."

YAY! Success for cake decorators everywhere!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

MikkelPaige Posted 10 May 2007 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 14

I wanted to let everyone know that I did in fact travel with the following, as carry-on, through Orlando International Airport this past weekend: fondant, gumpaste (all mixed already), a small cake leveler, food coloring (wilton gels), and three round cake pans. I could tell that the woman running the things through the x-ray machine and inspecting the screen stopped to "inspect" mine for a while, but she never told anyone to open it for further inspection. I was free and clear! WOO HOO!! I had my printed TSA response about being allowed to bring cake and pie supplies on the plane just in case but I wasn't even questioned. icon_smile.gif

dodibug Posted 10 May 2007 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 14

thumbs_up.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 14

"Passengers are allowed to travel with pies, cakes and other bakery products"

Whoo Hoo! I have to travel to Florida in June, and I am making the wedding cake for my friend. I wanted to bake the cakes, frost and fondant them and hopefully bring them on the plane with me, then assemble and finish the decorating once I got to FL. It will be 3 small tiers - for only about 35-40 people, so I am guessing between my 2 kids, husband and I we will be able to carry on and place under the seats in front of us.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:29pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryClo

I think the BC is a no-go. I flew a week ago and anything cream/liquid/lotion/etc. had to be under 3.4 oz. or it was confiscated and tossed.

Good luck with your travel!

from the TSA:
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

you can carry the fondant and buttercream in your checked luggage no problem. would just seal it really well (multiple baggies) to save your clothes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%