Newbie Question

Decorating By leelvlnd Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 4:16am by leaisagary

leelvlnd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leelvlnd Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:50am
post #1 of 6

Hi! I am making a cake from a cake mix and only have 2 eggs (recipe calls for 3). Can I just put in 2 and than add ???something else to substitute? Thanx in advance

5 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:14am
post #2 of 6

I have heard that you can sub oil, but I have never tried it. Eggs make the cake lighter, so if you have 2 large or extra large eggs, you may have enough. I would say try it before you sub anything, and if it doesnt work, run out and buy more eggs tomorrow. If it does work, well, then you know! icon_smile.gif

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:29am
post #3 of 6

Do you have meringue powder? That is egg...add a tablespoon, if not add a tablespoon of mayo...it is mostly egg too...

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:39am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Parsons_Wife

Do you have ? That is egg...add a tablespoon, if not add a tablespoon of mayo...it is mostly egg too...

Has this been tried, tested and approved? if so, this is good to know!!

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:10am
post #5 of 6

This is a culinary school tip...and yup it works! Although, I would not use all mayo in place of eggs, you can, it just is a bit more crumbly...have done it for a good tasting product, yet a different texture when using all the mayo in place of eggs, but with the ratio above the mayo will work fine, and the meringue powder always works...

leaisagary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leaisagary Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:16am
post #6 of 6

iv had that problem too and i just baked mine with 2 eggs and it was fine i have always thought that the eggs were mostly to make your cake more firm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%