Where To Buy Colored Fondant? Also A Q About Mmf?

Decorating By nicolag Updated 2 May 2006 , 2:51am by dsoutherngirl

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:13am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,
I am new to the site and have spent a few days sneaking about quietly getting a feel for this terrific place. I have admired the cakes in the galleries and hopefully will be able to 'hang' a pic there to one day.
Meanwhile I have a couple of Q's...
I am making a grad cake which will be predominantly red and black, I am planning to use fondant but since I can only get 4oz packs from wilton(in the small boxes with 3 other shades) I have been searching for an alternative... a couple of sites sell something called Satin Ice in various colors - has anyone used it and if so what do you think of the product(taste, colr, apperarance, etc)?
Also I noticed something called MMF being used instead of fondant - would someone tell me about it please.

Thank you for any replies,
Nic.

4 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:20am
post #2 of 5

I've heard Satin Ice is really good and I'm interested in trying some. I have made and used MMF and it's much better than Wilton. Here's a link

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:22am
post #3 of 5

I don't have any experience with Satin Ice, but I work a lot with MMF (Marshmallow Fondant). Marshmallow Fondant is made with marshmallows, water and powdered sugar. It is much cheaper than Wilton and also tastes better -- a little bit like those orange circus peanuts. You can find the recipe for it here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-14-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:44am
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for your replies, While reading old posts I came across a posting entitled 'Satin Ice' - ahaaaa!
The comments there were very positive - infact one of theem specifically mentioned the red and black that I need. So I will take a chance and use it. As for the MMF thanks for the info, depending on how the Satin Ice taststes I may very well try it next time.
Have a great night!
TY again.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:51am
post #5 of 5

LOVE that Satin Ice! I keep 5 lb tubs of black and red at all times! I get mine from Country Kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%