Alice's Cookie Icing

Baking By fat-sissy Updated 9 Jun 2006 , 11:40am by newcakelady

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:49am
post #1 of 21

OK friends, I baked my no-fail cookies. They turned out great. What a wonderful recipe. I loved the tip about rolling the dough between parchment paper! I've mixed my frosting. Should it be thick, like thick buttercream, for the outlining? What consistency should it be to fill in the outline? Sorry for all the questions. I've never done anything like this.

20 replies
Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:58am
post #2 of 21

This is the Cake_Princess' forte'. She is the master of this icing for sure. princess.gif If you do a search for Alice's Cookie icing and click on "Post" instead of "topic" where it says "Display results as:" , you'll find more information. I do know that you can't thin this frosting very much.

kos

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:00am
post #3 of 21

Edit: See C_P's post below.....

fat-sissy Posted 2 May 2006 , 3:27am
post #4 of 21

Thanks for the input. I took your advice and did a search as you suggested. Thanks. I found some more info that way.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 May 2006 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

C_P had told me it should be like color flow and NOT royal, which would be flooded. It has a nice consistency but takes longer to dry, I found.

WHEN I was making cookies......

C_P would NEVER tell you Alice cookie icing should be the consistancy of color flow.

I do NOT thin my Alice cookie icing for flood work. It's not something I would recommend to anyone (particularly those I like even though they are on cookie strike - not mentioning any names). I use 5 T of water in my icing no more than that. If I make a double batch (1 cup butter, 8 cups icing sugar, 6 T meringue powder) then I use 8 T water in total.

Some other people have apparently thinned their Alice cookie icing to color flow flood work consistancy. I have no desire to end up with soggy cookies and I am too impatient to have to wait forever for them to be dry.

So that leads me to the question.... Did I tell you this after you announced you were going on cookie strike??? icon_evil.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gificon_biggrin.gif

Princess

P.S. Disclaimer I'm joking about the last question.

fat-sissy Posted 2 May 2006 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 21

Cake princess-
How do you get your cookies so smooth without thinning the frosting. What did I do wrong? I did thin it for the yellow centers.-Sally
LL

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 2 May 2006 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 21

I've never used Alice's icing, since I've read it shouldn't be thinned...I love Antonia's Royal Icing and it's worked great for me and tastes great!

Zamode Posted 3 May 2006 , 1:15am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

C_P had told me it should be like color flow and NOT royal, which would be flooded. It has a nice consistency but takes longer to dry, I found.

WHEN I was making cookies......

C_P would NEVER tell you Alice cookie icing should be the consistancy of color flow.

I do NOT thin my Alice cookie icing for flood work. It's not something I would recommend to anyone (particularly those I like even though they are on cookie strike - not mentioning any names). I use 5 T of water in my icing no more than that. If I make a double batch (1 cup butter, 8 cups icing sugar, 6 T meringue powder) then I use 8 T water in total.

Some other people have apparently thinned their Alice cookie icing to color flow flood work consistancy. I have no desire to end up with soggy cookies and I am too impatient to have to wait forever for them to be dry.

So that leads me to the question.... Did I tell you this after you announced you were going on cookie strike??? icon_evil.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gificon_biggrin.gif

Princess

P.S. Disclaimer I'm joking about the last question.

I meant that royal should be flooded and not Alice's....given that I have not done color flow, I can't really say....apologies for the ruckus icon_redface.gifthumbsdown.giftapedshut.gif

Zamode Posted 3 May 2006 , 1:31am
post #9 of 21
Quote:

.....not something I would recommend to anyone (particularly those I like even though they are on cookie strike - not mentioning any names)

You like me, you really like me? Image

Hey, I just passed 500 posts. icon_eek.gif No wonder my house is messy. Image

chriscrites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chriscrites Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 21

I hadn't heard about the no thinning of Alices icing...I have used it 4-5 times now and I absolutely love it. I thin it and yes, It does take 2 days to dry for me but it is so well worth it. I made a batch of Antonia74's the other night and no one in my family like it-including kids! Everyone said it was way to sweet. I have to make a batch of Prom cookies for Friday so I am making them today (Wednesday) so that they will be ready to go. All of my friends and family go nuts over the Alice's! Also, Alice's drys shiny-the Antonia74's did not.

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 21

I just made my first cookies yesterday and I thinned Alice's icing and it worked out fine. My family also loves the taste. I haven't tried royal yet.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:43pm
post #12 of 21

ok, I'm confused.......the recipe for Alice's cookie icing says right on it...remove some icing while thick, then add more water until it is very thin and flows like color flow??????? Can you thin it??? or not???

chriscrites Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:56pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

ok, I'm confused.......the recipe for Alice's cookie icing says right on it...remove some icing while thick, then add more water until it is very thin and flows like color flow??????? Can you thin it??? or not???

Your right! I don't know where others got the idea that you couldn't. If anyone out there hasn't tried-do, it's a wonderful icing!

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 3 May 2006 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 21

Does anyone know where I can find the recipe??

newcakelady Posted 3 May 2006 , 1:19pm
post #15 of 21

look in the recipes under frostings. It should be one of the first one's.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 3 May 2006 , 1:27pm
post #16 of 21

I love Alice's Icing. And I thin it. To me, it's worth the wait for them to dry enough for stacking and packaging. It's that much better than royal or the royal types, IMHO. When it's thinned, it dries with a beautiful, glossy finish. If the cookies are to be consumed at home, we don't worry about whether it's dry or not, of course. We just suck 'em up! icon_smile.gif

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:09pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcakelady

look in the recipes under frostings. It should be one of the first one's.

Thanks so much!! I'll have to try it!

chriscrites Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:36pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

I love Alice's Icing. And I thin it. To me, it's worth the wait for them to dry enough for stacking and packaging. It's that much better than royal or the royal types, IMHO. When it's thinned, it dries with a beautiful, glossy finish. If the cookies are to be consumed at home, we don't worry about whether it's dry or not, of course. We just suck 'em up! icon_smile.gif

Amen! I couldn't have said it better myself! I have tried the MMF, Buttercream fondant, Antonia74's, and Alices-I like Alice's the best. I seem to be able to get the consistancy right every time for details, damming, and flooding-and for a beginner-thats very important. Also, my friends and family were guinea pigs and Alice's stood out as being the best tasting. If I have to wait a little longer for drying-no big deal! If I were packing and shipping...I may consider Antonia's for that.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 May 2006 , 11:30pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-sissy

Cake princess-
How do you get your cookies so smooth without thinning the frosting. What did I do wrong? I did thin it for the yellow centers.-Sally

You did not do anything wrong it's just the type of icing it is. You just need to experiment and get used to using it.

I use a spatula to smooth out my icing once I have it all on place. Recently i have been using a fan brush to smooth the icing. I know in My pictures my cookies seem really really smooth but they are not. But that textured look works for me. Too smooth and they look unrealistic for what I try to achieve.

But the old spatula works wonders. Remember to keep the tip of your icing buried. Smooth it over with the spatula. Experiment with a paint brush.

I will have to make a mini-how-to on how I use my Alice Cookie icing one of these days. When I have someone that will be patient enough to take the pics for me so I don't have icing all over my camera. But be careful what you wish for (Kos and Zamode)I have been known to use a toothpick (unused of course) to apply icing to Milano cookies to make minature graves and tombstones for one of my cakes.... LOL...

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 8:19pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:

... I will have to make a mini-how-to on how I use my Alice Cookie icing one of these days. When I have someone that will be patient enough to take the pics for me so I don't have icing all over my camera. But be careful what you wish for (Kos and Zamode)I have been known to use a toothpick (unused of course) to apply icing to Milano cookies to make minature graves and tombstones for one of my cakes.... LOL...

C_P princess.gif ,
Where's that tutorial!!! I need it right now. (but I can wait 10 minutes or so icon_confused.gif )

For those of you who thin down the Alice's icing, how thin do you make it? Pancake batter thin?? Do you have a problem with the butter separating then?? Ooooooh, what to do???? icon_cry.gif

kos

newcakelady Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 11:40am
post #21 of 21

Hi Kos,

I thin mine down until I can drop some into the bowl and shake it a little and have it blend in. I hope that makes sense. Kind of the same consistancy of thinned color flow, if you have used that.HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%