What Are Your Thoughts On The Cake Dr

Decorating By heavenscent Updated 3 May 2006 , 10:23pm by onebigdogmama

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 22

I just bought both books the regular & the chocolate one. I plan on using both for the basic foundation for my wedding cake company. However I just read someone say on the Wilton site that she recently made some & they were dry and not flavorfull. I am a little freaked out now. PLease let me know your input.
Thanks in advance

21 replies
LivinInABox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LivinInABox Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 22

I love the Cake Doctor. They are very flavorful and not at all dry. I mainly use her recipes and I even sell cakes. In fact just the other day one man told me that my cake was very good and that he could tell it wasn't from a box. icon_biggrin.gif I almost said..."Wanna bet?" but I just smiled and thanked him for his compliment. My favorite book from her is acutally the cupcake one though. I use those recipes the most, even for regular cakes. I haven't tried every recipe, of course, but I have yet to have a bad one. I would highly reccomend them. I also like 101 Things to Do with a Cake Mix and 101 More Things to Do with a Cake Mix. They don't have quite as many cakes, but there are some great ideas in those. Both books are around $10 a piece.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 22

Oh yeah, those are my cake baking bibles!! I don't see how it was possible for anyone to make a dry cake with any of those recipes. They are wonderful!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 22

I also love some of her cakes, but I had bad luck with her carrot cake It was awful!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 22

There was a thread a while back about someone on a mission to bake every cake in the CMD book and posted pics and reviews. It was a great thread. I will look for it......

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 22

found it..

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-4089-cmd.html

It has some great info for anyone interested in the book

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 22

I love her recipes. I haven't come across a bad one yet! I've made the red velvet cake, Devil's Food, Milk Chocolate Chip Cherry Pound Cake, the Italian Cream and many others that I can't name right now. I have both books and would highly recommend them!

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 22

I haven't had a bad cake from the Cake Mix Doctor collection. I haven't tried all of them, but the ones I have tried turned out great and everyone that has tasted them has loved them. Everyone that I know that bakes a little, and tastes one of the cakes I made says it tastes like I made it from scratch. The ones that don't bake, just say how delicious it is.

funfoodie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie Posted 1 May 2006 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 22

I have her original book, The Cake Mix Doctor, which stated that most of the cake mixes she used didn't contain pudding. Which brands don't contain pudding, because it seems like most of the ones at the supermarket have pudding? For everyone who's been using her recipes, which cake mixes have you been using?

loriemoms Posted 1 May 2006 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 22

Good old DH..its the only cake mix I have found without pudding in it.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 1 May 2006 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 22

I use DH, usually; I don't buy the mixes with pudding already in it. I prefer to add my own pudding mix because the cakes seem to rise higher.

lkuptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkuptain Posted 1 May 2006 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 22

I love the cake mix dr., too! Every recipe I've tried has been wonderful and everyone says the cakes taste great and moist. I also use DH mixes for my base. My favorite recipe is the Snickerdoodle cake....just got the cupcake dr. book and am loving it, too! It's got some cute cupcake decorating ideas.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 May 2006 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 22

I have tried two recipes out of the cakemix doctor. I personally thought they were dry, compared to my normal cakes i make, however those were the two favorite cake that my co-workers liked. They thought they were really really moist. So i guess it all depends on your taste and what you're used too =)

Leily

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:41am
post #14 of 22

Even though the cake doctor says to use the mix without pudding, I've found it too dry -- I always use Pillsbury with any of her recipes, and it turns out great! My in-laws are INSANELY crazy over her Banana Cake with Quick Caramel Frosting. They think I'm some sort of kitchen magician icon_smile.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:14am
post #15 of 22

LOVE the cake mix doctor!!!!!!! I think her cakes are great but I mostly use her ideas for frostings and fillings-- and all of the tips. Its my most used cookbook by far!! :O)

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:22am
post #16 of 22

Every cake I have tried from her books have been wonderfull. Never had one be dry.

loriemoms Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:50pm
post #17 of 22

I need to make a german choc cake this week...has anyone tried her recipe?

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 3 May 2006 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 22

I've made her german chocolate cake quite a bit. Very moist and delicious!!!

loriemoms Posted 3 May 2006 , 4:28pm
post #19 of 22

this is the one where you ADD the canned frosting to the batter..and make it in a bundt pan. can this cake be made into a layer cake and then frost it?

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:37pm
post #20 of 22

Some people can mess up a cake mix. If you bake it too long, it will come out dry and tasteless- so maybe the person that posted that didn't bake it properly.

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:43pm
post #21 of 22

I also like the cake doctor. I've tried many of the recipes. Everyone's favorite seems to be the darn good chocoloate cake in my family.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 3 May 2006 , 10:23pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I need to make a german choc cake this week...has anyone tried her recipe?

I have made the "regular" german chocolate cake. NOT this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

this is the one where you ADD the canned frosting to the batter..and make it in a bundt pan. can this cake be made into a layer cake and then frost it?

If you make the other one, one word to the wise, cook the frosting a bit longer than 12 mins to thicken--it really does not get that thick (20 mins at the most) OH Yea--stir, stir, stir--When done--THEN put it in the fridge. I learned to hard way when I made it the first time for my husbands birthday. I just made 2 more last week right in a row and they were great. I made a square and a round. The round reminded me of the picture in the book. I was so proud of myself. I made it for Administrative week. Sorry so long...I have the 3 baking books. LOVE THEM!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%