Writing And Small Detail Work On Cookies.....

Baking By golfgirl1227 Updated 18 Jul 2006 , 7:50pm by Misdawn

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 1 May 2006 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 22

I have tip 1s (Marpol) which is the super tiny tip. I tried to use it for writing on cookies (with Antonia74's icing) and nothing would come out. I took the tip off and one of them is not open properly, but another one is open and there was nothing blocking it. Yet, still no icing coming out. When I tried to write with a 1, I found that too much icing comes out and it ran together. I'm attaching a picture of a similar style of writing I was trying to do. Please let me know if you have any thoughts/suggestions so that this will work in the future!

TIA!
LL

21 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 22

do you know who made those cookies? prehaps you can e-mail/pm them and asked which tip they used? just an idea!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 22

If you carefully strain your icing, and slightly thin it, the 1s should work.

use a new knee high stocking for very fine straining.

Or, you can sift the sugar at least twice, and make a very small batch of icing.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 22

I agree. I think you should try thinning your icing.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 2 May 2006 , 3:03am
post #5 of 22

The icing is already really thin from flooding the cookie. Should it be thinner than that? I do sift the powdered sugar once. I will try doing it twice and see what happens.

I know Antonia74 says she uses a 0 tip to do her writing.

Thanks!

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 6:41am
post #6 of 22

I do a lot of tiny writing, and I concur w/all of the suggestions here. For writing, I exclusively use the $5 PME Stainless Steel tubes. They really work better - cleaner, smoother, finer writing. Get sizes 00, 0, and 1. You should be able to easily recreate that writing.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 22

Ts where do you get those, do you have a site you ordered from? I have not been able to find 0 or 00...

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 22

I would like to know as well, please let us know.

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 22

I see Sugarcraft has them. If you just google icing tips 0 and 00 go down to the bottom of the page on the sugarcraft site they are there. There are alot of places in the UK i saw too.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks babynewyear!

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 22

I cant wait to see somemore of you and kos cookies> So I had to find them for you. Im going to have to order some too but im still trying to get use to tip 2. icon_rolleyes.gif Hopefully golfgirl will post some too! Those baby cookies are adorable.

throwemndapan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
throwemndapan Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 7:13pm
post #12 of 22

Tscookies,
What are PME stainless steel tubes? I'm still kinda new to this. I understand the tips just not this part.

Tscookies Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 22

PME is the brand name and tube is just another name for pastry tip. Because they are made of stainless steel they hold their shape better than the other ones AND they do not rust!!!

You'll find them if you google, otherwise here's where I get them. I order one or two each time since they're so pricey - but by now I've got one of each tip no. In my opinion, you get cleaner lines. And I can't explain why, but I actually think they clog less on me (could be my imagination, though). I'd love to know how they work for others.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&SubCatId=1346

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 22

I think the difference in the PME tips/tubes is that they are seamless, creating smoother icing flow. I only have a couple of them and they are superior IMO.

throwemndapan Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:33pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks for the info. I will definately try them out and let you know what I think. I had never heard of them b4-you learn something new every minutes on cake central!!

mymichelle04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymichelle04 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 22

How is the writing so perfect on these cookies? Is it freehand? Any tips for consistency if you are doing a lot of cookies?

Tscookies Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:25am
post #17 of 22

When the text is as short as "baby," I would just practice until I could get it to look really good freehand. But anything longer, and I would get my Kopykake projector out. That will take your cookies to the next level of perfection and people will think your a pro.

I have another tip to share that I recently learned which is making a world of difference in my piping ... add 1 t corn syrup to 1 C royal icing. This is very worthwhile to try - it will dramatically cut down on how often your royal icing breaks when you're in the middle of making lines, lettering, etc. The best part is because it's so smooth and elastic from the corn syrup - you can go faster thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif !! I used to only use water to thin when writing/lining, but I have found that the corn syrup works much better (but you might still need a little water to thin if you're starting with very stiff icing & you might have to play w/the proportions of corn syrup & water)! Good luck to all.

I'm a newbie on Cake Central, but I've been decorating cookies for about 5 years. Someday I'll post some of my pictures to share.

throwemndapan Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:27am
post #18 of 22

Please do. You have lots of great advise to share I look forward to seeing your work I'm sure its great. Also, the comments I get on my pics make me feel better and more confident-and bring lots more good advice!

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:52am
post #19 of 22

I am so glad I found this thread!! Wilton tip #1 is just not small enough...thank you ladies, CC is the best icon_biggrin.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 1:55pm
post #20 of 22

Zamode,

I was able to find a 00 tip in nycake.com. The store is not too far from my office, so i went there directly.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 7:35pm
post #21 of 22

Kats I am near the PA border so a ride out that "far" would have to be to stock up. Thank you, though, I will keep that in mind, a friend and I may go supply shopping one day!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 7:50pm
post #22 of 22

Tscookies...does the royal icing still get stiff even with the corn syrup in it?

Also, what do lefties do when writing? Last night, (I'm in the Wilton Course I) our instructor had us practice writing the "correct" way. However, if I did it that way, I got BC all over my hand! Am I doing something wrong?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%