Help With Blown Sugar Fishbowl For Seuss Cake

Sugar Work By brenners Updated 16 Jun 2006 , 7:46pm by yukisaru

brenners Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenners Posted 1 May 2006 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 9

Hello...Im very new to making cakes and all...I've done 2 so far lol...But I am going to make a whimisical cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday and we are doing a seuss theme...so I wanted to do a fishbowl with the goldfish in it from cat in the hat...we made sugar and I used a metal bowl to string it over, but it crystalized (I think we used too much sugar), but is there anywhere I could buy the fishbowl already made. or does anyone have any tips as to what I could use to make the shape and get it off easy?

Thanks
Brenda
Im in Tampa florida by the way.

8 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 9

Fish Bowl huh. Interesting item to make out of sugar. First of all how did you prepare your sugar mixture? There are several reasons it may have crystallized on you. As far as the bowl goes I do not know of any place that sells blown fish bowls. If you can draw you could cast the sugar bowl. I do not know how much experience you have with blown sugar so its hard for me to give you advice. Do you have any experience with pulling sugar? Give a little more detail.

Regards Sugarcreations...

PS: Did you grease your bowl before you spun the sugar on it? I also noticed your in Tampa Florida. You might try Ewald Notters School of Sugar Confections you could call them and see if they would make one for you. Just an idea... I will pull up the website and post it here for you.

brenners Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 9

I don't have any experience, we've just seen it on numerous programs, and thought we'd try...I did grease the pan but I used PAM< which might be the issue...I'll try looking up that school and see if they can help. Both my husband and I can draw, so we figured we'd try...her bday isn't until June...so we are practicing

Thanks so much for takign the time to answer.

brenners Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 9

IF the sugar thing doesn't work out, does anyone have any idea what else I could use to make the fishbowl clear...I know I could use like plastic but I wanted it to be edible...

thanks

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 9

Your welcome. When you boil your sugar use a pastry brush and warm water to wash down the sides of your pan. Sugar crystals forming on the sides of the pan will cause recrystallazation. What type pan are you using?Type sugar? Did you use an acid in your mixture?
You can use cardboard to draw out the design of the bowl. Sides,front,bottom and top. You could then use playdough rolled to about 1/4 inch thick ,place your cardboard cutouts on the playdough and use a hobby knife to cut them out. You can use a batch of sugar to glue the bowl together. Anymore questions post them here or you can PM me. I am glad to help...

Regards SugarCreations...

LisaV10001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaV10001 Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 9

Could you melt Jolly Ranchers, and use that to make the clear part? I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, so I don't know if that would work or not. My friend used to melt JR's and pour them into cookie molds to make decorations. Just an idea...

(And, by the way, I used to be a Brenner icon_smile.gif )

brenners Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 9

I bet jrs would work, but actually there is a scene in the book that the fish is in a teapot so we are going to use that since we can do it white...icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.... my name is Brenda so Brenners just became a nickname icon_biggrin.gif I'll post pics when i get the cake done, her bday isnt until june though icon_biggrin.gif

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 4:08am
post #8 of 9

He likes to eat cake!
LL
LL

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 9

I know it is too late but I was thinking you could do a flat (artistic) fish bowl and fish... that sounds like fun... lets see I have two cakes this weekend 3 infants to babysit and a birthday...I am sure I have time. icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%