Tiers Lying Flush On Top Of Each Other

Decorating By maemae Updated 22 Apr 2007 , 7:15pm by KoryAK

maemae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maemae Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #1 of 7

I'm really frustrated!

Each time I make a tiered cake (I use the hidden pillar method)..my tiers won't be flush with the tier that's underneath it.

Take for example my brown/pink polka dot cake...see the 3 layers of beads..guess why? I don't know what I"m doing wrong! How can I get that cake to be flush so that I don't have to "build up" around it so much...there's such airspace!

Can someone help me out? This cake had a million problems on its own, but that was the biggest. I tried a new buttercream recipe (lesson learned never to try new "on the cake")...but it was for a friend, so i"m forgiven.

Please check out my photos of my tiered cakes and you'll see what I mean...I've heard that the dowel system isn't as good, so I've never tried it...but these pillars seem to be causing a real problem!

HELP! (thanks!) icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:11am
post #2 of 7

I've never felt comfortable with pillar systems. I think I have more control using dowels. I use 3/8 or 3/16 wooden dowels, depending on the cake and have never had one problem.
Don't be intimidated by dowels! As long as you use a level, measure twice and cut once you should be ok.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:14am
post #3 of 7

It sounds like you're just not cutting the pillars down to size. I cut mine so they stick up only 1/8 to 1/4" above the top of the tier I'm pushing them into.

maemae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maemae Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:24am
post #4 of 7

Do you guys use the cardboard round or the plastic round?

If those pillars are 1/4" above the cake, then I place that plastic round with the "feet" inside those pillars, then it will sit "above" the cake and not "against" the cake.

I can't put on a small beaded border if the top tier doesn't sit against the bottom tear. That tray is in the way and has lifted it above the bottom tier.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:34am
post #5 of 7

Hmmmm ... now you have me thinking.....

I always use the plastic plates and put the feet inside the hidden pillars, too, when I use the hidden ones. I cut them close to the level of the cake, but they are sticking up just a bit. Maybe not 1/4" ... maybe that is too tall.... closer to 1/8. This gives me just enough finger room to set the next tier down. Then I add the border.

My plate does not stick out past the cake .... I use the non-scalloped plates.

Lately, I've been using more of the wooden dowels, tho. The hidden pillars eat up a lot of cake. They are quick, simple and easy for assembly, though! I will use them when I have more than one wedding in one day .... I use the hidden system on the cake that I send with my supv to the wedding that I won't be at. This makes it easier on her when she sets it up.

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 6:41am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

Don't be intimidated by dowels! As long as you use a level, measure twice and cut once you should be ok.

SugarplumStudio, I have had the same problem, with the cakes not being "flush", and I use dowels (I have only done two stacked cakes, I will post the second soon). Each time they are not flush. Do you actually use a level to make sure they will be flush? I am learning a lot here, so forgive me if this is common knowledge! Thanks!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 7

For a cake that is going to sit flush, then you need to cut your dowels shorter. I cut mine right to the top of the cake, but I use cardboards and straws. If you are using plates and pillars, and the use of those adds another 1/8" of height, then by all means cut your pillars 1/8" below the bottom of the cake. As long as the plate is nto pressing down into the icing you are fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%