Need Help With Jem Alphabet Cutters!

Decorating By Price Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 12:53pm by justinsnaynay

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #1 of 9

I just bought both the alphabet and numbers sets of JEM cutters. I played with just the A today, but didn't like the result I was getting. I rolled the fondant, and pressed the cutter into it. Most of the time the letter would remain on the mat and I could remove the extra fondant from around it, but it didn't look sharp. A couple of times the fondant stayed in the cutter and I had to pull it out. Do I need to let the fondant sit for a few minutes after I roll it? Any secrets I should know about with these cutters? I appreciate any suggestions. Do those of you who have the JEM cutters like them? Thanks

8 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:57am
post #2 of 9

Hi,
I have those cutters and used them on my Heart and Rosebud cake. I didn't have any trouble but as you said, I let the fondant sit (rolled out) for just a few minutes before cutting with the letters. I also moved the cutter around in a circular motion to really cut the letters out (hope that makes sense) instead of just stamping them out. At first I didn't do this and the letters were staying in the cutters.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #3 of 9

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow. I didn't have a lot of time today to try different things. Did you dip the cutter in powdered sugar before cutting with it?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 2:00am
post #4 of 9

I have trouble w/ them too. sometimes i can't get the little "holes" out, sometimes they just don't look very sharp....

mjs4492 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 2:06am
post #5 of 9

I didn't use anything (powdered sugar, Crisco, etc).
I also used a toothpick to get the "holes" out - the 'e', 'a', '&' and 'p'. When I let the letters sit just a second or two before putting them on the cake, I got a real sharp small kitchen knife to smooth up any ragged edges.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 9

I also have these cutters and have nearly given up on them! They always stick to the cutter and I can't get them out without deforming them badly! I'll try some of your tips and see what happens! How thick/thin are you rolling your fondant?

mjs4492 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 9

Not "see through" thin but definitely thinner than I would for covering a cake. Probably just a small bit thinner than if you were making a bow. I bet if it's too thin, it would tend to stick more. ? Just a thought.

maria4869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria4869 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 9

Hi there,

I found the only way i could work with the cutters was to thoroughly coat each one in cornflour before cutting. It makes the finished article look a little dusty but i just brushed it off. I do roll the paste very thin - more or less as you would for making flowers.

Hope this helps.

justinsnaynay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justinsnaynay Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 9

I have these cutters too and at first I had a lot of trouble with them. If you let them sit for a minute they are a lot easier to release. Also if they do stick a little I just use a toothpick and push it out .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%