Wanting To Know What To Charge In Texas

Business By MurphyJ Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 4:35pm by kelleym

MurphyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MurphyJ Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 4

I want to start a new cake decorating business in my area of south Texas(Brazoria county), but I am not sure how much to charge. I have Alice's pricing matrix but am not sure what I should put in the base price box. How do you come up with what you should charge? icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 4

I'm in north Texas (Fort Worth area). I've only sold a few cakes, but I figure up how much it will cost me in supplies and ingredients, and double it.

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 4

MurphyJ,
Do you have a storefront or are you going to do this as a home business? The reason I am asking is that it is illegal to bake, decorate and sell cakes from your home. I don't want to spoil your idea of turning this into a business but if you aren't aware of this law I want to save you from a possible visit by the health dept. You need to check with the city/county health dept. to see what the regulations are in your area.
Bradymom

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 4

In Austin, wedding cake prices are usually around $2.50 - $5.00/serving. I start at $3.00/serving for 3-tiered cakes, and those are for Earlene's serving sizes. For 1 and 2 tiered cakes I start at $2.00/serving. Austin is probably one of the higher priced markets in Texas, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%