Duff's French Buttercream

Decorating By fat-sissy Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm by CasperCakeCreations

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:26pm
post #31 of 169

as for storage-----it says "Buttercream can be kept at room temperature for a few days"

Really???
...interesting

sounds good and would love to try it out.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:58pm
post #32 of 169

Quick question - can you use this for FBCT? or can you use it for anything other than smoothing over a cake? I have a friend allergic to corn, this sounds like a recipe I could use for her. I would like to make her a 3-d Pooh bear or FBCT of him (she loves him!) and was hoping I could use this?

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:08pm
post #33 of 169

Love this!

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:15pm
post #34 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbert

as for storage-----it says "Buttercream can be kept at room temperature for a few days"

Really???
...interesting

sounds good and would love to try it out.

Mmmmm, I don't know if I would leave it out for a few days. The egg whites are still perishible, even if they are pasteurized. Maybe a day max out at room temp., but you can keep it in the fridge for up to a week (just bring to room temp, and stir to use again) or freeze for up to 6 weeks in a well sealed container.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:21pm
post #35 of 169

I wrote to the makers of Just Whites and asked about refrigeration of an item using their product. They wrote me back and said that it certainly needs to be refrigerated. They said to treat anything that you make using this product just like you would if you used fresh eggs. Just thought I would pass this along.

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:25pm
post #36 of 169

Thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:38pm
post #37 of 169

Thanks for the recipe!
Can someone tell me Collette Peter's recipe or give me a link to it? Please?

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:17pm
post #38 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyMonica

Thanks for the recipe!
Can someone tell me Collette Peter's recipe or give me a link to it? Please?

Oh, mannnn!!! Now I'm givin' away all my secrets!! Shucks! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Hows this?

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=189758

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Enjoy!!

Renaejrk Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:23pm
post #39 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

Quick question - can you use this for FBCT? or can you use it for anything other than smoothing over a cake? I have a friend allergic to corn, this sounds like a recipe I could use for her. I would like to make her a 3-d Pooh bear or FBCT of him (she loves him!) and was hoping I could use this?

ANYONE??

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:32pm
post #40 of 169

If this is like IMBC you can pipe with it. I even make flowers with IMBC. The only thing you have to do it make sure that it stays chilled when your piping with it or else it will get too soft. After you get onto working with it you'll love it!!

I have a practice cake coming up and I'm going to use the JustWhites for the egg white part of my regualr IMBC recipe. I'm anxious to see how it comes out

Thanks for sharing that idea and the recipe with the rest of us thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:30am
post #41 of 169

Yes-you could use this for a BCT.

Renaejrk Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:32am
post #42 of 169

Thanks! I'm excited to try it!!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:08am
post #43 of 169

put it back in the mixer using the whip or the paddle, and apply direct heat with a propane torch you can find at any hardware store.

Hahaha...only Duff would do this! Like i would do that to my baby!

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:12am
post #44 of 169

Here's my 1st cake using this recipe. I can't get over how easily it smooths. It also piped very well.
LL

tmf315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmf315 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:29am
post #45 of 169

This recipe is very similar to my favorite, Mousseline Buttercream from The Cake Bible. That recipe requires making a sugar syrup, the pouring the still warm syrup into your meringue, then adding the butter. It is a super silky gorgeous buttercream tht pipes nicely and is absolutely delicious.

CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:45am
post #46 of 169

Eme, thanks for the recipe link. I wouldn't worry about sharing your "secrets" with little ol me. I don't think my 2 cakes a month are any threat to you. icon_razz.gif

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:52am
post #47 of 169

Thanks fat-sissy for sharing the recipe! Thanks to Eme too, for her Collette recipe link!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:04am
post #48 of 169

Oh, well, welcome to the club, everyone! I have been endorsing Duff's FBC recipe for about a year now, ever since it was first published on FN. It is so easy, and soooo good!

You know it is an icing that needs to be refrigerated, so remember to Not cut it while the icing is cold, or like any other meringue-based buttercreme, it will taste like a stick of butter until it comes to room temperature.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:17am
post #49 of 169

Hmm, I will have to give this one a try. Always trying to find the best. Thanks for the posting!!

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:46am
post #50 of 169

I checked the recipe out and it says 10 egg white, it says nothing about it being pasteurized.

Here is the link to the recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32891,00.html

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:01am
post #51 of 169

I can't wait to try this one!

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 9:27am
post #52 of 169

Oooh maybe is this what I have been looking for.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 10:59am
post #53 of 169

I am excited about trying this one!
About the "save"? I just "copy and paste" from here to my regular email and send it to me! That way I can put it in my files. Besides, one day the site might be down and you need a particular recipe! Just my$.2!

debbed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbed Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 11:21am
post #54 of 169

Confectionary2, I also copy and paste to my e-mail. Then I print them and put them into my CC recipe note book. I decided to do this after not being able to get on CC for an entire weekend and needing/wanting a certain recipe.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:11pm
post #55 of 169

Confectionary 2, I do the same thing! You never know when you won't be able to find a post or get on here while they are doing maitanence or something and will need a certain recipe.

I always save it to my email, print them out, and put in a binder so I can have the binder full of helpful hints and recipes right by my mixer or oven.

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:15pm
post #56 of 169

The receipe says it can be kept at room temperature for a few days, but I'm reading in these posts that it must be kept in the refrigerator. If I use this icing to ice a stacked cake the night before a party, would the cakes have to be refrigerated and then stacked right before the party? If so, then how long could the cake safely be out of the fridge during the party?

Also, does this crust at all? Thanks!!

CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:21pm
post #57 of 169

I forget who said about halving the recipe and adding a 1/2 c more sugar? Could you give specifics and reasons? You said another thread advised this?

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:34pm
post #58 of 169

It does not crust at all, but smooths beautifully.

I keep mine out at room temp over night and it's fine.

Love this receipe. Toughest part was figuring out what to do with the 10 yolks! There is another thread somewhere with ideas for them icon_wink.gif

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:36pm
post #59 of 169

id like to know too please

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:28pm
post #60 of 169

I read (on baking911, I think) that in icings with a lot of sugar that the sugar actually acts as a preservative for a period of time. This is evidently why it is OK to leave it out for a while even with dairy products.

You know, the person to ask is Alton Brown, food scientist! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%