Chocolate Clay

Sugar Work By WarLilly Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 1:20pm by mrsg1111

WarLilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarLilly Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 17

I tried making the candy clay twice. I used 3/4 cup light corn syrup and the second time i used 1/3 cup of syrup. Both times when i went to use the clay it gpt sticky while I was working with it. I'm trying to make the chocolate roses, but I'm having problem with the clay getting sticky. Any suggestions.

Thanks

16 replies
sujeeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sujeeart Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 17

How much chocolate did you use? I do a pound of chocolate to 1/3 cup corn syrup. You should also let it air dry for a few hours before you use it. Just lightly cover with waxed paper and let it rest.

WarLilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarLilly Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 17

I used a pound also,put it on wax paper.Let it set then I put it in the fridge and it was still sticky when i went to work with it. Thanks for your reply

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 17

Also do you have super hot hands? You could also be melting the chocolate. I have to take breaks and stick my hands in ice water when I woked with it. I also have to do this when I pipe.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 17

I'm having the same problem, which I've never had before. Usually, I can add Crisco to my hands or cocoa to the mixture, but nothing is working this time! I love working with this stuff, but I've tried several different things this week & letting it rest, nothing...soooooooooo

bump!

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 17

Sometimes it depends on if you are using white or brown chocolate. The white chocolate has more butter fat in it so you need less corn syrup. I usually use 1 white candy melts to 2 tbls of corn syrup.

If it's still sticky. First how long did you need it after it set up? I usually kneed mine until the color is dull and it's smooth and feels like playdough. So try kneeding it more.

If that doesn't work - do you have more chocolate? You could try melting some more chocolate and incorporating it into the clay that you already have.

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhow623

Sometimes it depends on if you are using white or brown chocolate. The white chocolate has more butter fat in it so you need less corn syrup. I usually use 1 white candy melts to 2 tbls of corn syrup.

If it's still sticky. First how long did you need it after it set up? I usually kneed mine until the color is dull and it's smooth and feels like playdough. So try kneeding it more.

If that doesn't work - do you have more chocolate? You could try melting some more chocolate and incorporating it into the clay that you already have.

Thanks for the tip on the white chocolate mix.

Are you suggesting 1 lb white choc 2 Tbls of corn syrup?

I made white Choc last night with a 1/3 cup of corn syrup and it is very soft and melts quickly with little handling.

It just seems to ooz in my hands and I'm pretty cold natured. If push comes to shove... I'll nibble on it until it's gone - icon_lol.gif

Synfuldelite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Synfuldelite Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 17

OH thank goodness!!!!!!!!! I tried the clay for the first time with white chocolate and thought I really screwd something up and gave up! Will reduce corn sryup and try again!!!!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 17

I used 10 oz of Ghirardelli (block) semi sweet to 1/3 C lite corn syrup. I haven't made the flowers yet. Will try it tonight and let you know.

Jopalis Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:41am
post #10 of 17

Well, my first time.... was surprisingly oily!! Tried to squeeze some out...press on paper towels but unless you are careful it sticks to the papertowel plus I am not crazy about getting papertowel fibers in the chocolate. Aside from it being kind of a pain being so oily, it made a lovely rose and the oil seems to be reabsorbed into the piece once it is done and sets. Tried to follow Toba's directions for modeling choc. rose. Found it a little difficult to understand but maybe that's just me.... Rose came out lovely nonetheless. I will make more..... Takes me a long time to make them.... Probably just me too..... icon_redface.gif

I did learn to form the petals and let them set a bit... get too warm and floppy otherwise. Also don't make the middle of the petal too thin. Toba has you make the bottom of the petal thickest, middle thinner, end (part you curl/top of petal) thinnest. Tried putting hands on ice glass too.... letting it set seems to work. Handle the least possible...

Jopalis Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 17

OK... when the clay is not just recently kneaded and not too hot... most of the oil is reabsorbed and it's easier to work with. I really like it.... Here are some pics of my first ones... I didn't deviate too much from the design instructions in Toba Garrett's book ... maybe next time I will

In all I am pleased with them.
LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:30am
post #12 of 17

I'm having the same problem -- glad this topic came up.

Oh by the way, Jopalis, your leaves and roses look AWESOME!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jopalis Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:34am
post #13 of 17

Thanks!!! I got so frustrated when I tried to work with it right after kneading or handling so much. I thought it was such an oily mess. But the oil goes back in. Try not to get it too warm. It cooled off outside so I opened the door and sat at kitchen table (it's marble). Just try not too handle it too much. ALSO. we used hershey kisses on some of the bases which was great because the modeling chocolate tear drop shape can get really warm and mushy and stay that way for quite a while. I like it now that I know what to expect. People loved them at the party. The children hovered to get them and the tootsie roll roses.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:16pm
post #14 of 17

where can i find a recipe for Chocolate Clay??!!!

mrsg1111 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #15 of 17

also, is working with chocolate clay similar to working with gumpaste? i've never used it before nor seen someone work with it.. Very interested in knowing more about it. icon_biggrin.gif
[/code]

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 10:22pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieb

Here's the Wilton recipe: http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/candy/candy_clay.cfm

You can use your gumpaste tools and techniques with chocolate clay.

mrsg1111 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:20pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieb

Here's the Wilton recipe: http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/candy/candy_clay.cfm

You can use your gumpaste tools and techniques with chocolate clay.

Thank you so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%