Shiny Fondant?

Decorating By MandaBrizown Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 8:38pm by jguilbeau

MandaBrizown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaBrizown Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:50am
post #1 of 5

I have noticed that after I put MMF on the cake and put the MMF decorations that they become very shiny. Plus they started to stretch what happened?

4 replies
angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 5

Are you using shortening to roll out the MMF? It sounds like that may be the cuprit.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

Are you using shortening to roll out the MMF? It sounds like that may be the cuprit.

What should be used to roll out MMF?

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 5

I initially use shortening to work with the MMF and get it soft, but when it comes time to roll it out, I stricktly use powdered sugar. It never sticks.

Also, I use a Silpat, and nothing sticks to that thing, so it allows me to roll out the fondant without using much powdered sugar.

If you do use shortening on your mat, then that side that is touching the mat is going to be alot shinier, so use the top side on your cake if you don't want a shiny finish. Too much shortening will break down the MMF.

Hope that helped!
angie

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

I initially use shortening to work with the MMF and get it soft, but when it comes time to roll it out, I stricktly use powdered sugar. It never sticks.

Also, I use a Silpat, and nothing sticks to that thing, so it allows me to roll out the fondant without using much powdered sugar.

If you do use shortening on your mat, then that side that is touching the mat is going to be alot shinier, so use the top side on your cake if you don't want a shiny finish. Too much shortening will break down the MMF.

Hope that helped!
angie

Thanks for this info angelas2babies icon_biggrin.gif , I had been using shortening, and always had problems with tears. Now I know what I was doing wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%