Why Did This Happen?

Baking By TJSCAKES Updated 25 Apr 2006 , 9:16pm by ntertayneme

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 3

I made these cookies yesterday..iced them with Antonia's Royal Icing..let them dry overnight and then added the center dot today with with the same royal icing. Why is there a "stain" around the dot? Was the royal icing to thin?

TIA
LL

2 replies
marmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmar Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 3

This color bleeding sometimes happens to me too, but usually when I rush putting on the details - not letting the base icing dry long enough. You said you waited overnight, though, which is strange 'cause your base icing should have been fairly dry.

Maybe the icing you used for the dots was too runny?

One little trick I've found is to use a fan, goose-neck lamp or a slightly warm oven (DO NOT LEAVE IT ON, though) to help dry the icing faster, before it starts to run. Seems to work for me. It also makes the icing dry slightly shiny.

The one thing I haven't quite figured out is how to pour two colors at the same time and then drag a toothpick through - to get that feathered look. One color always seems to bleed into the other eventually. I'm going to try my oven trick, though, next time I make these, and see if that helps.

There was a thread recently on drying royal icing - maybe that will help you.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 3

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-22560-drying.html+royal+icing

This may be the thread marmar was referring to ... hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%