Did I Charge Too Much? Rant!

Decorating By oohlalacakes Updated 26 Apr 2006 , 1:25pm by lsawyer

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:39am
post #1 of 26

It's been 2 days since my first wedding cake and I've been on cloud nine...so happy how it turned out. Everyone at work thought it was really fabulous and I've been on a high since Saturday. Then I got a call from my mom. Just the usual weekly call we normally have, but she never really said anything about the cake (that should have told me something right there). So I asked her if she got the pictures and what she thought of them (first mistake). She HATED it. She said she thought it was a really ugly cake and that the color was horrible and how she can't imagine anyone wanting THAT for their wedding. I tried to explain to her that I gave the bride what she wanted, that it's not really up to me. Then she asked how much I charged. I said $200. She exploded. She just couldn't believe I would charge someone that much for a cake and that someone would actually pay that. She said she thought maybe $75 or maximum $100, but she can't imagine $200. I told her that anywhere else (except maybe Wally World) she would have paid twice that. I got the feeling that she thinks I totally ripped the bride off. So now I'm feelin' totally low. The b/f tried to make me feel better, said she doesn't see what goes into a cake, but I still feel terrible.

So, please be honest, did I charge too much?

I've tried really hard to be competitive for the area around here...I checked and most places are selling for $2.50-$3.25 a serving. Mine served about 125 people, which at $200 makes it $1.60 a serving. Everyone that sees my cakes says I don't charge enough, I try not too.

25 replies
llbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbean Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:43am
post #2 of 26

I don't think I'd go through all the work for that little money. Some people have no idea what goes into this or what a wedding cake costs. Ugh! icon_sad.gif

PeaceOfCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOfCake Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:43am
post #3 of 26

Your cakes are absolutely gorgeous and I think your price was more than reasonable. All that matters is whether the bride was happy or not (value, as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder). Why was your mom upset about it? Does she know the bride?

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:43am
post #4 of 26

icon_surprised.gif OMG, are you kidding me??? You are going to let ONE person ruin your high for that awesome cake and job you did? icon_eek.gif No Way Man. You deserved the praise for that one, and you don't let it get you down; just remember that you did exactly what was asked for, and the bride was happy. That is what matters; and if they thought it was too much, they wouldn't have agreed to buy it, right!?! thumbs_up.gif Chin up.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:44am
post #5 of 26

Sorry, mom is wrong. Your price was very very fair. In some markets it would be fairly cheap. If the bride was happy, that is the ONLY thing that matters.

When people don't understand what we do, they often understimate the value.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:48am
post #6 of 26

Is your mom always this critical? If she is then you may want to set up some strategies concerning her. One is, don't set yourself up by asking for her opinion. Oh, when anyone says anything negative about what you do, smile sweetly and say, " Have you done this already." Your cake is stunning by the way. I should be so lucky!!

Kelly10176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelly10176 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:53am
post #7 of 26

eh mom is wrong..you did a wonderful job on that cake. It's a darn good job and you shouldn't let one person upset your apple cart..and i do not think you overcharged at all

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:58am
post #8 of 26

You should go up on your pricing if you are only charging 1.60 per slice.
And if your mom ever asks you to bake a cake, you should charge her double! icon_evil.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:00am
post #9 of 26

Listen sweetie, The ones we love the most are the ones that can hurt us the most. I know very well how you feel. It hurts you to the core.
Just know that your cake was wonderful and was worth much more than you recieved. Moms (or at least some of them) are so old fashioned sometimes, (well, all the time),
back in their day it really was unheard of to pay that much for a cake. They don't know about all the work that goes into one of our cakes, let alone the ingredients. Keep your spirits up, because you really did do a wonderful job on that cake. I am very proud of you for the excellent work you did. I'm sending you a big hug from someone that knows exactly how you feel.

partsgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partsgirl25 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:01am
post #10 of 26

As it just happens, I picked up the wal-mart wedding cake pamplet today. (just out of curiousity). They charge $77 for a round two tier buttercream (plainly decorated cake) that only serves 48 people. And that's the starting price! Youdefinately gave a good deal. If the bride was happy that's all that matters. Maybe you should invite your mama to help you with your next wedding cake order since I'm sure this won't be your last wedding cake.

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:01am
post #11 of 26

Thank you all so much. I'm sure tomorrow I'll forget about what she said and be happy again. And yes, fearless, she's always been this critical about everything I've done. I think your spot on, I should just not ask her opinion. I suppose you could say I'm always looking for her approval...but that belongs on one of those psychobabble forums, not this one!! Anyway, you've all already made me feel better. Thank you, thank you.

usaribbon.gif Samantha

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:01am
post #12 of 26

I just had a similar exoerience with a cake and people questioning the price, when I cut them a huge deal...

I know this is eaiser said than done, but we do NOT have to give our time for free... Stupid people think "I can get a box cake for less than $1.00, so how can you charge..."

They have no idea what time and talent goes into a cake...

I posted a similar thread and someone was funny enough to quote Sinfield the cake notzi "No cake for you!"

Just laugh at this crazy woman and let her get a cruddy cake at Wally World... I know for a fact,( I have a friend that works there in the so called bakery) that they have no idea how old those cakes are, they are shipped frozen from the main factory, they do not bake a single thing in their so called bakery! icon_smile.gif
You do not need that kinda customer!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:41am
post #13 of 26

Your cake is just lovely!!!!!

You didn't overcharge. I just priced a cake for my son, and plain old b/c starts at $2.50 slice. Fondant, of course, would be more!

Since the bride was very pleased, you have every right to feel happy with yourself!!!

I feel your Mom over reacted.... Just wonder what she must think about the price of gas at $2.89 gal. for regular? (I can remember when it was 39 CENTS a gallon!)

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:43am
post #14 of 26

Samantha,

I just checked your cake out and it is BEAUTIFUL!! You did an AWESOME job on it!! Don't let your mother get you down ( I know easier said than done!) Anyway, I'm with everyone else, if the bride is happy then thats all that matters. You should be very proud of that cake, it is very classy looking!!

~luraleigh~

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:08am
post #15 of 26

Samantha, All your cakes are beatiful especially the wedding cake.
And i mean it thumbs_up.gif . I have an aunt that is so critical of everyone that does anything i am starting to wonder if she enjoys doing this.
She came to visit me when i was pregnant and telling what detergent is good (i already had one i liked), This curtain needs to be washed etc.
I cannot believe i did not say anything all those time. I could never anything untill one time i just exploded (even i was shocked).

If this is the case please let her know or don't ask for her opinion .
Because this went on for years until i couln't take it anymore!

You are very talented!!Good getting more cake orders and charge more!!

Ashiana

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:15am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oohlalacakes

Thank you all so much. I'm sure tomorrow I'll forget about what she said and be happy again. And yes, fearless, she's always been this critical about everything I've done. I think your spot on, I should just not ask her opinion. I suppose you could say I'm always looking for her approval...but that belongs on one of those psychobabble forums, not this one!! Anyway, you've all already made me feel better. Thank you, thank you.

usaribbon.gif Samantha

Sounds like my mother and I chalk it up to jealously because she can't do it. When I quit having little fights with my mother and she knew it wouldn't bother me to critize anymore she stopped only took over 40 years, but I am much happier for it. Don't let her get you down happiness comes from within and for all us cake decorators making cakes makes us happy. You did a wonderful job on the cake and you have nothing to worry about, chin up and be proud of your wonderful creation.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 4:39pm
post #17 of 26

The cake is GORGEOUS. Your price was more than fair. Mom does not know what she is talking about, plain and simple.

We are paying for an artisan's time and talent. I can take a picture and get a print for less than a buck, but if I want it to look beautiful with different finishes and perfect lighting, I go to a photographer. I can sew a simple dress for a few bucks, but if I want it to look flawless I go to a seamstress. I expect to pay for their time and talent. That is how the world works.

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 4:49pm
post #18 of 26

Your cake is beautiful and you did not over charge. That is all that matters.

Cheer up, smile at your mom and thank her for her sincere thoughts. In other words, kill her with kindness. Once she knows you don't really care about her opinion, she will cease to give it. Or hopefully anyway. icon_smile.gif

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 4:55pm
post #19 of 26

Samantha,
Nope Mom was wrong on this one...your cake is so beautiful and the bride must have been crazy happy - it is very elegant, love the color too. Very resonable price...so just keep up the GREAT work!

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 5:21pm
post #20 of 26

OH MY!! I have a mother kinda like that.. she's gotten better over the years. You are a better person than me cause I would have told her how I felt about that comment.. she didn't pay for the cake so her opinion dosen't matter.. you gave the bride exactly what she wanted!!! Besides you mom might be jealous that you are more talented than she is so don't let it bother you!!!!!!
You charged plenty if not enough..

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 9:34pm
post #21 of 26

Mom's crazy... the cake is gorgeous!

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 10:02pm
post #22 of 26

Kudos to what everyone else has said...if you were happy with the cake, and the bride was happy with the cake...that's all that matters! You did an awesome job! thumbs_up.gif

jacksjoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacksjoyce Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 10:12pm
post #23 of 26

Well, I just looked at your wedding cake and I want to say it is beautiful.
You did a fantastic job and should be very proud.
I remember my own mother having a fit about how much I paid for my husband's cologne ...she thought every guy was still using aqua velva!
I'm sure in her own way she means well.
I think your price was more than fair. I just took a order for my first wedding cake, (very simple three tiers with fondant and some simple trim for 150) and priced it at $350.00. Actually thats about a hundred less than the bakery since Its my first and I want to get my name out there.
Love your work....keep on baking!

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 10:25pm
post #24 of 26

Is your mom usually critical of your cakes? if not, I would chalk it up to the fact that that gorgeous cake you made is not a "standard" wedding cake. It clearly is not her taste, but if it's the brides...I am sure she was totally thrilled! And your price was more than fair! mom's aren't always right. icon_smile.gif

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 1:03pm
post #25 of 26

Mom is wrong (gasp)icon_surprised.gif They often are. Your cake is really beautiful.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 1:25pm
post #26 of 26

The problem is not with the cake/pricing--it's with your mom. You say she's always critical, so don't take her comments to heart. We can't change people, we can only change the way we respond to them. How about something like, "That's interesting," then change the subject. "That's interesting" is such a nebulous, wonderful, non-confrontational phrase. Your cakes are beautiful; listen to other bakers, not to others who don't have an understanding of the business. Keep smiling and keep baking!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%