How Do I Stack On 2 Filled Half Sheets?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 2:05pm by ladyonzlake

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 10

I need to put the bible cake on top of 2 11x15 half sheets that are 2 layers each with filling in the middle.

I will push the 2 11x15 together and ice them to look like one cake. But then how does the bible cake rest on top?

Is it enough support if I put the wood dowels in the 2 bottom cakes and sit the bible on a cakeboard on top? Will the weight of the bible cake (it's the large one, the 2-mix bible pan) cause the 2 bottom cakes to separate?

How close to the "center line" should I go with the dowels?

Help!

9 replies
tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

I need to put the bible cake on top of 2 11x15 half sheets that are 2 layers each with filling in the middle.

I will push the 2 11x15 together and ice them to look like one cake. But then how does the bible cake rest on top?

Is it enough support if I put the wood dowels in the 2 bottom cakes and sit the bible on a cakeboard on top? Will the weight of the bible cake (it's the large one, the 2-mix bible pan) cause the 2 bottom cakes to separate?

How close to the "center line" should I go with the dowels?

Help!

Wow, that's going to be one heavy cake!

Use thicker cake board in the middle and wooden dowels with maybe one or two of the thicker plastic dowels (the ones with the about 1/2 inch across).

If you wait to place the Bible cake on site, then you shouldn't have any trouble with them separating. I would be worried about that too if you tried to stack everything and then transport. It would probably be okay, but you might not want to take the chance since you haven't done it before.

Good luck and hope this helps.

S.

projectqueen Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks, sonoma9.

I'm getting really scared now because I do have to stack these at home and then transport the whole huge thing. I'm putting roses all around the bible and that will take me forever for sure.

Not sure what you mean by "use thicker cake board in the middle"? Do you mean between the bible cake and the 2 bottom cakes? Won't that just make it heavier?

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 10

Could you put a "center" dowel down each side of the bible and into the sheet cakes? That way each side would be held to the top? I have know idea if this would help...... Good luck!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

Could you put a "center" dowel down each side of the bible and into the sheet cakes? That way each side would be held to the top? I have know idea if this would help...... Good luck!

Excellent idea! That's the way to go for sure. I would put 2 dowels through the Bible one on each side and then a few more just underneath the board.

Don't worry about the board being a little heavier - it won't cause the cakes to sink. It's done all the time for heavier cakes -- like dense chocolate. As long as you have enough dowel support, you'll be fine. With those 2 extra dowels going through the bible cake all the way to the bottom it should be fine. Good thinking marthajo1! thumbs_up.gif

projectqueen Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:29am
post #6 of 10

Thanks. Still not sure what you mean by heavier board, though.

As far as I know, the cake boards only come in one thickness. Do you mean put 2 on top of each other?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:44am
post #7 of 10

May I suggest you place the cake (11x15's)on a thick piece of plywood or thick foam core. If you are just putting the cakes on cardboard it won't support the weight and may separate and your frosting will crack.
Jacqui

projectqueen Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:38am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

May I suggest you place the cake (11x15's)on a thick piece of plywood or thick foam core. If you are just putting the cakes on cardboard it won't support the weight and may separate and your frosting will crack.
Jacqui

Jacqui, I was going to use 5 cardboard cake boards (full sheet size) and wrap them together like a cake drum. Do you think that would be strong enough or should I still go with the plywood or foamcore?

If foamcore, what thickness? I've never used it before.

projectqueen Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:43am
post #9 of 10

One other thought...

Think I could use a square plastic separator plate with hidden pillars to hold the bible cake? Would that be sturdier?

If I could find an 11" square separator plate it might hold enough of the bible which is 11 1/2 x 14.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 10

I personally would go with the foam core. You can get it an any craft store, Michaels, JoAnn's ect. I would go for the thickest they have. I think you'd be fine with a cake board under the bible as long as you have enough dowls under it. If you can find a plastic separator that would be great too! Can't wait to see pictures!
Jacqui

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%