Fantasy Books For Kids

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 7 May 2007 , 2:35am by manderfrog

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 23

I'm trying to find some ideas for my son, he's running out of books and I need to buy him some more.

He has and has read the following: Narnia (read all but the last book), Harry Potter (1-6), Eragon, Eldest and the Hobbit.
He's reading the first book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He just started it but I'm expecting him to give up because I think it's too hard, I won't tell him he can't try it though.
I need stuff without anything dirty or suggestive in it, he's a little young for it.

22 replies
ffulch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ffulch Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 23

How old is your son? Robert Heinlein wrote some sci-fi books for kids. Have spacesuit will travel or the Red Planet. My son is 11 and reading Red Planet now. He really enjoys it. I read it and there was nothing suggestive or foul in it. Has he looked in to the Guardians of Gahoole books by Laskey. They are a fantasy book where the characters are all owls. Or another option is the Redwall books. There is also a series about the young wizard Merlin.

Hope this helps. It's hard to find books for boys these days.

mbelgard Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 23

Thanks for the ideas.
He's 8 which makes it even harder to find stuff that's appropriate but hard enough, I can't order off the grade level Scholastic fliers the teachers send home because he won't touch that stuff.

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 23

The Chronicles of Narnia. It's a seven book series, which most people don't know. I've always been a bookworm, and these books have always been at the top of my "favorite books" list icon_smile.gif I still read them all about once a year, lol. And they're at his age level also.
You're right, he'll probably won't get through the Lord of the rings trilogy right now, (I didn't until I was about 12, I think) but just give him a few years, and he'll be able to.
Here's the list of them in order:
~The Magigian's Nephew
~The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
~The Horse and his Boy (my fav.)
~Prince Caspian
~The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
~The Silver Chair
~The Last Battle

I hope that helped!
~Beth

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 23

I recommend the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. The books don't have to be read in any particular order and the series has like 30 or more books. I would normally wait until a kid is in middle school to start him on this series, BUT based on the other books your son has already read, he's ready for Xanth.

T. H. White's Once and Future King is also an excellent book.

I understand your delimma. I read on a 10th grade level in 4th grade, so it was hard for my parents to find books for me that were "appropriate" - not many 9 year olds read "Jane Eyre"!

When he's 4 or so more years older, if he's still into Sci-Fi/Fantasy, I highly recommend the following: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, and Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series as well as C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. I'd wait until he's at least finished 9th grade to introduce him to Douglas Adams's Hitchiker to the Galaxy books.

There are actually a LOT of sci-fi fantasy books written for the teen and tween sets. Your county public librarian should be able to give you some suggestions as should any good independent book seller (i.e. a store not owned by Barnes and Noble or Borders).

mbelgard Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I understand your delimma. I read on a 10th grade level in 4th grade, so it was hard for my parents to find books for me that were "appropriate" - not many 9 year olds read "Jane Eyre"!

I don't think we have it quite that bad, but that's basically what's going on. He had started on the third Harry Potter book a week or so before he started first grade and while the other advanced readers were reading Junie B. Jones for homework that year he was reading the Narnia series.

Thank you for the ideas, they sound wonderful. Part of my problem with finding books is that we don't have a librarian that knows anything and there are no booksellers at all, we're 2 hours from a Walmart, so I have to order most of his books and it's hard to do without looking at the books first to make sure they're what we want. He wasn't supposed to do this to me, he has finished the books I was figuring he'd START on in 4th or 5th and he isn't done with the 2nd grade yet.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 23

Phillip Pullman's trilogy is supposed to be excellent for children, the boys in my class like it (they're 10) It starts with 'The Amber Spyglass.' They're quite long and meaty but if he can cope with The Hobbit he will be fine.

Lemony Snicket's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' are very good, not quite fantasy - more gothic humour, but very enjoyable - there's 13 of them.

Sugarshock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarshock Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:09am
post #8 of 23

Maximum Ride by James Patterson (it is a young adult novel and a series)
The Lemony Snicket Books, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer, Inkspell by Cornelia Funke, Ozma of Oz (Books of Wonder) by L. Frank Baum
Road to Oz, The (Books of Wonder) by L. Frank Baum
The Emerald City of Oz (Books of Wonder) by L. Frank Baum
The Marvelous Land of Oz (Books of Wonder) by L. Frank Baum
The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Books of Wonder) by L. Frank Baum - These are all pretty good books, if you go through Amazons childrens section you can find tons more, that I havn't read.

prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:32am
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

we're 2 hours from a Walmart.

Congratulations! (I hate Wal-mart).

A lot of the books on Amazon.com have really helpful reviews written about them, not just by "industry" reviewers, but by parents and kids, too. Also, they have a new feature that lets you look inside many of the books. A quick search on their site yielded a treasure-trove of possibilities.

Madeleine L'Engles books are all wonderful as are all of the Oz books.

Hey, it could be worse. One of my nephews isn't interested in anything but "fighting", he only wants video games and toy weapons. I'd take a consuming passion for books over than any day!

mbelgard Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:40am
post #10 of 23

The problem with being so far from Walmart is that we're so far from everything else. icon_cry.gif Our local grocery stores are TINY and the best we have is Pamida so even Walmart seems like a dream from here.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, it gives me a place to start refilling his bookshelf.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:58am
post #11 of 23

I asked my BF b/c he read and still does ready fantasy. His favorite series is Dragon Lance. There are quite a few different authors in this series and each one does a different story. His favorite authors are Margaret Weise and Kathy Hickman (I know their last names are right I don't remember both of their first names)

You may need to try a few different authors to find a writting style your son likes, but i'm sure there is an author out there for him.

HTH

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:12am
post #12 of 23

When you decide what books you want, look them up on these sites. You won't believe the prices. I have ordered from half.com with great results.

http://www.abebooks.com/docs/Fantasy/
http://www.half.ebay.com/books_W0QQ

My son was also one of those children that read way above his grade level. 3rd grade--11th grade reading level. It was a challenge to keep his mind interested and age appropriate. J R Tokien was the first series that he read in 3rd grade.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 23

Piers Anthony wrote a whole lot of "g" rated books about a mythical land called Xanth. It is actually Florida and he teaches at a community college here. They have humor suitable for all ages. I had to read them all for a new product concept when I worked for the Frankilin Mint, they eventually produuced figurines of all the characters. I actually think Shrek was inspired by the Xanth ogre, if not a downright theft of a great character.

Also I bought the books by Dave Shields for my nephew. I met Dave at a bike race, he also a very nice person and a concerned parent that there aren't more books for boys out there with suitable subject materials.

http://www.daveshields.com/

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:46pm
post #14 of 23

Maybe Emma will know this one. It is along the same plot lines as Narnia. A boy and girl are sent to live with an aunt and uncle and they find a doorway to a land much like Narnia by going throught the attic of the row house in which they are living. I can't remember the name or the author but it is a celebrated book of literature. If I dig it up, I'll post it.

What about the Borrowers, The Hardy Boys Mysteries, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Sherlock Holmes,

Bridge to terabithia, Doctor Who, Captain Underpants, OZ Series, The Mists of Avalon, Goosebumps.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:47am
post #15 of 23

Kayakado - the plot you've described is 'the Magician's Nephew' which is the first in the Narnia series, followed by 'the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe,' which is what I think you mean by 'Narnia'?

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 7:15am
post #16 of 23

well, I asked a few people on the website I visit that's for a fantasy series (The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan) and besides some already mentioned, they mentioned these...

Lloyd Alexander has a series and the Black Cauldron is part of it

The Dark is Rising

Forgotten Realms

They say that the Dragonlance books are especially good for kids as they don't have too much of the gory stuff that could be found in quite a few fantasy books.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:14am
post #17 of 23

My boys are all avid readers (9 - 12 )...
"The book of lies " by James Moloney
"Deltora Quest " by Emily Rodda
" The Merlin Conspiracy " by Diana Wynne Jones

Both Diana & Emily have written heaps of excellent books,
enjoy !! icon_biggrin.gif

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #18 of 23

As an extremely avid reader when I was younger, I'm talking 8+ books almost weekly from the library I remember enjoying

All the OZ books
All the Xanth books , especially if he likes puns
Mercades Lackey's series with the Heralds
Ann McCaffery's Pern series
The Dark is Rising
Forgotten Realms Series

A note about the last two series though, they are a little darker/scarier than the others especially some of the Forgotten Realms ones

Happy Reading!
Ahhhh reading...chapter books..sigh. Not that "Hop on Pop" doesnt have a certain charm icon_rolleyes.gif

mbelgard Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:10pm
post #19 of 23

Thanks everyone for all the ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemomne

Happy Reading!
Ahhhh reading...chapter books..sigh. Not that "Hop on Pop" doesnt have a certain charm icon_rolleyes.gif

There is a definate benifit to him reading so well, I have someone else to keep my 4 year old entertained. icon_twisted.gif For some reason he'll spend hours reading books to his little brother that he won't touch on his own. icon_rolleyes.gif

prterrell Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:48pm
post #20 of 23

Found 5 more series!

Redwall by Brian Jacques
The Borrowers by Mary Norton
The Icemark Chronicles by Stuart Hill
Septimus Heap by Angie Sage and Mark Zug
Secrets Of Droon by Tony Abbott

all are available at www.amazon.com

icon_smile.gif

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #21 of 23

Two series books that my kids like are A to Z Mysteries and Magic Tree House (both are scholastic book series). All the books are about only 80 pages but my kids LOVE to complete a book in record time.

mbelgard Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:08pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven

Two series books that my kids like are A to Z Mysteries and Magic Tree House (both are scholastic book series). All the books are about only 80 pages but my kids LOVE to complete a book in record time.

My youngest loves us to read him Magic Tree House, he's 4 and will sit through the whole story. My second grader won't touch them except to read to his brother, he loved reading them in kindergarten but about the time he started first grade I found them in his brother's book shelf. icon_rolleyes.gif

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:35am
post #23 of 23

I am a grade 6-12 teacher at a boy's school. All of the Brian Jacques books are a hit along with The Bridge to Terabithia. The Giver by Lois Lowry is also very good. I will scan my bookshelves at school tomorrow and try to find some more. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%