Help With Wizard Of Oz Cake Ideas...

Decorating By bulldog Updated 25 Apr 2006 , 1:17am by susanmm23

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

I have a big Wizard of Oz cake due this coming Friday. It will be double 12" layers with double 10" layers and double 8"layers all stacked.

These are my ideas so far: Bottom layers are all brown basket weave (Martha's new weave) with a giant handle laying on board. Second layers will be green like the forest with trees with faces. Third layers are sky blue with clouds and birds. I have made some ruby slippers to go on top, and a rainbow to stick up over the slippers, but rainbow broke, so going to put on sides. I have gingham blue ribbon to go around board. Fondant yellow brick road to cascade starting at top all the way to bottom (idea from CC) witch hat in puddle with broom on board (from CC) I also have a fondant plaque reading Wizard of Oz for side of cake.

Question: Since my rainbow broke, what can I put vertically on top of cake that will be stable? Oh, and how do I make ToTo or any of the other characters? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

5 replies
Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 6

Wow, sounds like the perfect cake already!! Do you have time to do another rainbow? I don't know how you did it the first time, but you could use wire, or tin foil folded for support, and then maybe use RI on it? Also, you could try candy clay, MMF, or regular fondant for the figures. Just find a book or maybe a website that shows how to mold figurines, like out of polymer clay or something, and copy the technique, just with a different medium. Sounds like you are going to have one heck of a cake; be sure to post pictures when you are done!

jacksjoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacksjoyce Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 6

I have just posted pictures of a wizard of oz cake I recently made for my grandaughter. Maybe looking at it will give you some ideas. I think what you're planning sounds great. Make sure you post pictures when it's done.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

yes, look at jacksjoyce cake photos! THere are great fondant fingures on that cake of the main characters!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 6

What about making the big hot air ballon for the topper.......that along with the Ruby slippers would signigy going home!!! That might be kinda cool instead of the rainbow...then you could do the rainbow on the side or something.....or I would suggest maybe making the rainbow out of gumpaste and make it a bit thicker ...or by adding gumtex to MMF or something...would be much sturdier than royal icing or color flow

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:17am
post #6 of 6

wow i cant wait to see this cake. i love oz maybe you can make some sort of sign or banner for the top saying theres no place like home. you could make a witches broom and have some sort of puddle for the melted witch. maybe you can make the characters out of color flow. i did a pooh cake and did tiger and pooh and piglet our of color flow to put onthe sides of the cake i think the same would work for this. if you dont want to make the actual characters then perhaps a oil can to represent the tin man some loose straw for the scare crow, maybe a blanket with a lions tail sticking out and make it look like the lion is hiding underneath. each piece could be on differnt levels of the cake and board. sorry i cant think of anyting for the doggy lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%