What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By SeptBabyMom Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 12:55pm by elvis

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 20

I began decorating cakes almost 2 years ago, just because I had an interest in it. I've never sold a cake, just basically do them for favors and fun. I recently took a cake to my work for Easter and I guess it was the first time all my coworkers realized that I do this, what I can do, etc.

Since making that cake, I've had a few people ask me to make cakes for them. One group in particular want me to make a Mother's Day cake for them, totally up to me what to make and charge. Because I have NEVER charged a for a cake in my life, I'm just wondering what you guys would charge for a cake like this Easter one that I have attached? I have a cake idea for them and I am pretty sure it will require as much detail as this one.... So what do you think? Thanks so much.
LL

19 replies
JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 20

I have no idea how much to charge. I just wanted to say that it's adorable. I love the bunny at the bottom that's trying to hide...how CUTE!

I do know that you can figure out how many servings you have a charge a per-slice charge. Also, you could figure out how much your ingredients were and then triple that for the cost of the cake. Alot of people do it those ways. I always do that then second, and third guess myself.....always thinking that I am charging too much. When I then quote that price to a customer they never blink an eye so I guess they don't mind paying the priceses that I charge.

Just ball park for me and this is just a guess here so I might be really off the mark. I can't tell how big that cake is....I'm not too good at that either icon_confused.gif I would GUESS that I might charge between $45-$55...now, like I said that's just a guess..... thumbs_up.gif

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 20

I dont know how much but I have to say that is alot of time on that cake! It is BEAUTIFULLY done!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 20

Wanted to say pretty cake! Most people will charge by the serving. I would say the serving price would be higher on this one than just a basic cake due to fondant work.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 20

I would charge $3 a serving

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 20

For me.. a basic cake starts at 2$ per serving.. for a cake with basic fondant work.. 3$ per serving.. for a cake withbasic fondant work and fondant figures.. 3$ per serving PLUS extra for the figures.. I can't tell how big the cake is so I can't guess how many servings.. but that is a lot of work to make all those little figures.. make sure you don't undersell yourself. You have to make a profit for your time and supplies. Good Luck!! And please post pictures!!! icon_biggrin.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 20

Question how many layer of cake 3 or 4 layers? How many servings from the cake? You do have some work making the figures and the cake is covered in fondant.

You cake is really cute.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 20

I have no idea, because I don't charge, but just looking at that, I would think AT LEAST $125! That's a LOT of time!

SeptBabyMom Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback. Can I get a little more? icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure how to determine the number of servings. This cake is 3 six inch torted and layered cakes. How many servings do you think that would be? I probably spent 8 hours (give or take, next time I am going to time myself, ha ha) decorating it and creating the little figures. So I guess you gotta keep that in mind.

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 20

That is a great cake. I think I would be charging a minimum of $60.00. Usually I go cost times 3 or 4 (if it is very involved and / or has lots of fondant) which this one does.

Great job! Love all the detail.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 20

I would charge over $100 maybe more like $125-$150.

Lueet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lueet Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 20

I know I am on the low end, but I usually charge 2.5 - 3 times my cost. I'm guessing for something like this I would charge at least $60 due to all the fondant. Cute!

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:01am
post #13 of 20

I charge a minimum of $1.75 per serving and extra for fondant pieces...say maybe another $7-10 and then add on for delivery $5 and up depending on how far delivery is. My cakes are done in buttercream (I could duplicate this in buttercream)so fondant would probably be more. Good luck! Cake is ADORABLE btw!!!
p.s. I think it also depends too on where you live and how much you feel people can afford to pay.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:02am
post #14 of 20

You did a great job! Seems like I saw that cake before. I am not sure what to charge but would probably say like $75. It's adorable.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:41am
post #15 of 20

This is an adorable cake!

My suggestion is this: THINK ABOUT YOUR LOCATION! In Western KY I would be lucky to get $40-$45 for this cake. But, in other areas maybe you could get more. I would think this would serve approx. 12 people so at $3.00/serving you are only at $36.00. I'm sure it is WORTH more but I think $125.00 is out of range for the size.

Just MY opinion and like a nose....pretty much everyone has one and it is only REALLY important to THEM! LOL

Beth in KY

SeptBabyMom Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:36am
post #16 of 20

Thanks again ladies...

I think for me it's kind of like Bethola said, it depends on how much people in the area are willing to charge.

I don't think there are alot of people out there doing cakes like this. Oh there's a wedding cake market for sure, something I'd love to tap into eventually. And there's definately alot of people out there that make birthday and anniversary cakes, but not alot of them are done with fondant... including fondant accessories. So I'm wondering if I'm venturing into a new area here and just wanted to price myself accordingly for any additional work that comes my way in the future.

That cake is definately small, I was going to charge $40 for something similar. Until my Mom told me that one of our grocery chains here has a doll cake (you know the kind I mean, the dolls dress is cake with a body and head at the top) on display and they're charging $50 for that. So I know that I should definately be at $50 for sure. Not necessarily this cake, but just something with as much detail... know what I mean? This cake that I have to do would probably need to serve 20 to 30 people, and I was thinking of making a two tier cake... wanting some kind of brick effect on the fondant. I don't have a brick press and can't seem to get one around here, so I'm going to cut the bricks and place them all about. Then I intend to create potted greenery all around, a stone pathway, gardens and a bench with a molded fondant mother and child. So, I'm thinking the fondant work will be as much or more than this particular cake I'm showing you AND there will be more cake. So, I'm wondering if I should definately charge $60 or $65 for it?

Oh this is hard. Thanks again for all your help, I reallly appreciate it!

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:50am
post #17 of 20

At minimum $75, but I would do $100. It is a lot of work and detail. You can always lower your prices later....difficult to raise them significantly. If you don't need the money and just want to do the cake for the experience, then charge for your supplies and move on. If you want this to become a business then charge $100. They can always say, "no, thank you." Otherwise, if you charge too little then this becomes the price for all your cakes as people talk and will want to know why Susie Six Pack got hers for $50 and Carol Carton Cigarettes is being quoted $75. Quote $100. If they say no, then you quoted too high. If you quote $65 and they don't flinch, you'll always wonder how high you could go. icon_wink.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:57am
post #18 of 20

Oh what a cute. cute cake! Personally I would class this along the lines of a Debbie Brown cake as far as work goes, and my prices for those start at $6 per serving and not a cent less! I reckon your woodland cake would serve around 16 (it's at least 6in deep, right?), so my price for that one would be around $100. Your Mother's day cake, if done in fondant with that much gorgeous detail would be around $150 for 25ish people. I am on the high-end of price ranges for this forum though (and make no apologies for it lol!)

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:26pm
post #19 of 20

I think your Mother's Day cake for 30 people and that much detail would be worth MORE than $65.00. At 3.00/serving you are at $90.00. So, here's a plan. If you are afraid of the 5 figure digits do 97.50! LOL I do that with my cakes; instead of 40.00 (yes bonjovibabe it was probably a 65.00 cake! LOL just teasing) I charged 38.50. But, again, while THAT is acceptable in MY area.....$40.00 would be considered too expensive! Also, I don't do this for a living!

Beth in KY

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:55pm
post #20 of 20

I don't know--the cake looks awesome-- I'd probably charge something like $55-$60 for a 6"--but that's just me. The thing is, a lot of people wouldn't want to pay that much unless it was a really special occasion. I would tell them what you would have charged for the cake that they saw...to give them an idea. On the other hand, maybe they have a lot of $$ and wouldn't bat an eye!

Then tell them you can adjust the level of detail on the cake based on the range that they give you. That way, they'll feel some level of control in the pricing....and then if you feel like going above and beyond, just for fun...or to show your skills, you can, but they won't be expecting it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%