Is There A Recipe For Caramel Filling Like In Turtles Candy?

Baking By Taigen Updated 11 Sep 2013 , 8:40pm by CassidysCakesAn

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:38am
post #1 of 74

Caramel...like in "Turtles" candy? I looked in the recipe section but didn't find any. Is there a reason it shouldn't be used? I know it is pretty gooey but thought it might make a nice filling. My guys love turtles!! I thought maybe just melting the kraft caramels, would that work? They would harden up more I think.

73 replies
missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:43am
post #2 of 74

oohhhhhh...I would love to have something like that. I was watching the food network one day and there was a lady that had a business and all she sold was caramel cakes, her icing was supposed to be killer!!!! Only wish i could remember what her company name was.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:45am
post #3 of 74

I think you can just use caramels and add a little milk. Look at the back of the bag, it should have a recipe. Good luck, sounds wonderful.

Cindy

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 10:19am
post #4 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

I think you can just use caramels and add a little milk. Look at the back of the bag, it should have a recipe. Good luck, sounds wonderful.

Cindy

I've done this before, but never used it in a cake. would you please let me know how it turns out if you use it.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 74

The cake mix doctor book has a wonderful recipe for turtle cake that I have made several times. You melt carmel squares and evaporated milk together and when it cools alittle you pour it on 1/2 the batter that has baked for 12 minutes or so. then you place the remaining batter on top and finish baking.

I have also done this to thin carmel for pretzels and as a filling in choc. candies.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 74

Place an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk on it's side in a deep pot, cover with water by at least an inch, and put a lid on it. Bring it to a boil and boil for at least 3 hours (for a much softer caramel) and up to 5 hours (for a very firm caramel), top up the water as needed, being sure to not let the water get below the top of the can, or it may explode.

It sounds difficult, but it isn't! I boil three or four cans at a time and keep them in the pantry for when I need them. They can be used for all sorts of things! The end result is really yummy.

pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 74

thanks for the recipes NEW and eden, I'll try them both.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 74

Why not Carmel Icecream topping?You could maybe mix the carmel w/ whipcream and nuts if you want it a little more filling like. Or you could mix it with chocholate.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by edencakes

Place an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk on it's side in a deep pot, cover with water by at least an inch, and put a lid on it. Bring it to a boil and boil for at least 3 hours (for a much softer caramel) and up to 5 hours (for a very firm caramel), top up the water as needed, being sure to not let the water get below the top of the can, or it may explode.

It sounds difficult, but it isn't! I boil three or four cans at a time and keep them in the pantry for when I need them. They can be used for all sorts of things! The end result is really yummy.

ooooo...my Grandma used to make a dessert using this caramel. I think she called it Amish Dessert. It was a lettuce leaf with a pineapple ring on top of it. Put a slice of this caramel on tiop of the pineappe, and whipped cream and a cherry on top of that. It was my favorite dessert when I was growing up. When I was little, I would eat it til I got sick if she would let me. Very rich. I had forgotten about this caramel, and may try it in a cake to see how it works.

edencakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 74

jen1977 - that sounds delish! If you boil the sweetened condensed milk long enough, then you can just open both ends of the can and push it out (like cranberry sauce!) and slice it. It's got a hundred uses!

Taigen Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 74

Are you serious??????? You boil condensed milk to get caramel?? I've never heard of that....but it sure sounds good icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif My guys would go nuts over it. I really have to give this a try. I thought of doing a french vanilla cake mix with the caramel filling....maybe I will try both ways and see which they like best. Nice little chunks of nuts in it.......oh I can't wait for my KA to arrive!!!!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by edencakes

jen1977 - that sounds delish! If you boil the sweetened condensed milk long enough, then you can just open both ends of the can and push it out (like cranberry sauce!) and slice it. It's got a hundred uses!

I have a caramel pie recipe that calls for that. It sounds like a really great technique and easy! I never tried it though cause I was afraid the cans would explode on me lol Good to know it works.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 74

I have a caramel pie recipe that calls for that. It sounds like a really great technique and easy! I never tried it though cause I was afraid the cans would explode on me lol Good to know it works.[/quote]

Everyone used to think my Grandma was nuts for boiling a can, but like Eden said, as long as you keep it covered with water, you're fine!

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 74

I have cooked the Condensed Milk, but took it out of the can. It worked just as well. My friends mom gave me the recipe, but made me promise not to cook it in can, because she had a can blow up on her and she got burned. Just keep that in mind. However, it is soooo gooood!!!

Taigen Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 74

Bulldog....so if you're not using the can how do you cook it? How long, heat etc.? If you covered the pot with a lid and kept checking would that be safer?
This caramel idea sounds pretty yummy....even to me who hates sweets of any kind (except Flakes!!)

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:49pm
post #16 of 74

I went to the supermarket (publix) last week and I found the caramel can, ready to eat, right next to the condensed milk, Its a latin brand called "la lechera" This form of caramel Its being used for many years in my country is called "dulce de leche" another name is arequipe. Its very good. The method of boiling the condensed milk works really good, I use my pressure cooker for 21/2 hrs. let it cool completely, take the can out and wait for at least 3 more hrs (to cool down) to opened.

Taigen Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:53pm
post #17 of 74

Okay I have a can!!!!!!! Gonna try this tomorrow....no cake or mixer but I want to see if it works. I can just see hubby now...he'll eat it with his ice cream!!! Oh he'll be more than on board with all this cake stuff in no time!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:03pm
post #18 of 74

Hi Taigen-- I take it out out the can and cook it over a double boiler. I really don't know how long, but I stop when it looks like caramel. I do stir it occasionally. It does take a while, though. No matter how you cook it, your family will love it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:22pm
post #19 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudine1976

I use my pressure cooker for 21/2 hrs. let it cool completely, take the can out and wait for at least 3 more hrs (to cool down) to opened.

doesn't the pressure cooker run dry during that time?
do you have to/how would you add more water?

pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:22pm
post #20 of 74

thanks bulldog, for all your tips. I've wanted to try the can recipe, but have been scared of all the exploding stories. you inspired me...lol icon_biggrin.gif

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:32pm
post #21 of 74

I have a big one, I fill the pot with water till the max mark, I never had a problem but if you dont feel confortable using this method just go and boil the can for the double time (5 hrs.).

Taigen Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 11:35pm
post #22 of 74

Okay I boiled it for just over 4 hours (I want it a bit spreadable) and it didn't explode!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Everyone thought I was nuts though. It is cooling down now and I'll open it tomorrow to see if it worked.
The KA arrived today (happy happy joy joy! icon_biggrin.gif ) and I hope to get a cake made soon. Cake will be french vanilla with butterscotch pudding added and this caramel filling. I am making a two layer 9x13 then I will cut it into 3 sections (like little loaves) and ice each one differently. One will be all fondant (hope to try a new fondant recipe), another will be all snow white frosting and the last will be combination of snow white frosting and fondant overlays. This way they can taste each and decide for certain what topping they want. They'll get to taste the cake too. Then if we still find fondant (that is what they would like) I will try a lemon cake iced the 3 different ways.
Any advice?????? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Thanks so much everyone for the caramel idea.

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 11:47pm
post #23 of 74

My exMIL who was Cuban taught me about evaporated milk/caramel. She did it in the pressure cooker. I loved it!! May have to make some. Thanks. icon_smile.gif I love it over icecream.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 11:52pm
post #24 of 74

I saw a recipe in Southern Living magazine a few years ago, you put a can of condensed milk in your crock pot and cook it for 3 hours until caramel colored. Then pour it in a graham cracker crust. Let firm and top with cool whip. It was to DIE for. icon_twisted.gif

ILoveBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveBaking Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 11:58pm
post #25 of 74

I've also read about making caramel or dulce de leche by putting the content of a can of sweetened condensed milk in a 9" pyrex pie pan and baking it in a 350 degrees F for about an hour or so. I haven't tried it.

I did make it once from scratch. The nice thing about that is that you can make a big batch at once and keep it in the fridge. I'd have to look up the recipe in one of my food magazines (either Food and Wine or Bon Appetit). Basically, it's whole milk, sugar, vanilla (I used a vanilla bean). You bring it to a boil and then simmer it for 2.5 hours. It is sooooo good.

Have fun!

Taigen Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 12:00am
post #26 of 74

Gee I am soooo glad my quirky idea of "turtles" filling has evoked such great memories and recipes!!!!!! I don't know of anyone that doesn't love Turtles!! ((thanks))) everyone icon_smile.gif

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 12:08am
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taigen

Okay I boiled it for just over 4 hours (I want it a bit spreadable) and it didn't explode!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Everyone thought I was nuts though. It is cooling down now and I'll open it tomorrow to see if it worked.
The KA arrived today (happy happy joy joy! icon_biggrin.gif ) and I hope to get a cake made soon. Cake will be french vanilla with butterscotch pudding added and this caramel filling. I am making a two layer 9x13 then I will cut it into 3 sections (like little loaves) and ice each one differently. One will be all fondant (hope to try a new fondant recipe), another will be all snow white frosting and the last will be combination of snow white frosting and fondant overlays. This way they can taste each and decide for certain what topping they want. They'll get to taste the cake too. Then if we still find fondant (that is what they would like) I will try a lemon cake iced the 3 different ways.
Any advice?????? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

could you describe in detail on how you did it, i"m a little confused on this and I would like to "hobble" not run in the kitchen to try it. (i'm off my feet for a few days, so this is simple work) tia
b
Thanks so much everyone for the caramel idea.

edencakes Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 12:17am
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy

I saw a recipe in Southern Living magazine a few years ago, you put a can of condensed milk in your crock pot and cook it for 3 hours until caramel colored. Then pour it in a graham cracker crust. Let firm and top with cool whip. It was to DIE for. icon_twisted.gif

Add some bananas and you've got the traditional British dessert, Banoffi Pie!

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 2:36am
post #29 of 74

Can you all share some of the uses for this caramel??
How would you use it for filling a cake? Just as it is, or would it have to be mixed with something first?
What is the texture once it has cooled? Still spreadable??

Thanks icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 5:01am
post #30 of 74

One of the ladies on Baking911.com was talking about making a Turtles like filling, no exact measurements given but sounds like it would be easy to duplicate. Just as another easy option.
http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/viewtopic.php?t=2971
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%