Not To Scare Anyone, But It Happened ...

Business By boysmomintx Updated 5 Jul 2005 , 2:00pm by SweetCreations

boysmomintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boysmomintx Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 12

I just wanted to share this with everyone. A lady who goes to my church made cakes from her home and advertised her phone number in the yellow pages. She had done it for 3 years, and someone reported her to the health department, and she was shut down. I am terrified to make cakes now. She said they give you a warning first, but if you continue, it is a fine or a class C misdemeanor.

11 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 12

You know something like this happened to Earlene too. You can read about it here...

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 12

without a lisence, i wouldnt put my number in the phone book, but i do occasionally hand out business cards...which is a no-no. i actually am waiting on the 80 day process to get a special zone permit so i can get my liscense. i talked to a local authority and asked about selling at craft fairs and craft shows, and they said that was fine.... that was in a grey area.
i would be careful with out a liscense!
not to scared to do more cakes though.
maybe you and she can go into business together and get a legal kitchen? or maybe she can talk to her church if they have a kitchen most likely it has been inspected and she could bake there. if i were her i would explore some options before i just stopped decorating cakes!!!!!!
let us know what she decides!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 2 May 2005 , 3:54am
post #4 of 12

so, what happened to your friend? what did she decide to do?????????? let us know

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 3 May 2005 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 12

I had the special in home zoning permit thing when i made my cakes from home and now am liscensed etc at my shop. But the thing i was hoping would be helpful to anyone wanting to get the new about their cakes out there to generate more income.I had a woman the other day from a BBQ rest. near me to come in and ask if i would give her a good deal on cakes and she would let folks know who did them etc. They are a well known and established place and I am going to do it. I wont make as much as i normally do on each cake, but they will buy LOTS of them. And it will be great advertising as they have a nice little display they kept boxed prefab desserts in b4 that is now going to have my cakes in it. Some might want to check into it, local family owned restaurants pushing your cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 3 May 2005 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 12

that's not so bad just to get a warning, at least they give you that, they don't just straight lock you up or anything for life icon_eek.gif i'd love to add on to the back of our garage but the money is definetely not there right now, probably won't be for a long time so till then it will just be for family and friends... and maybe the occassional bake sale

Connie515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie515 Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:08am
post #7 of 12

That is what scares me... I sell my cakes to co-workers and their friends and everyone tells me to get business cards made but I want to get a licence 1st. I'm defiantly not ready for a licence and don't know where to begin.
--Kay Day, What is home zoning permit?


KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:27am
post #8 of 12

I don't think they do it everywhere, but they do in the city where I live. It is a special permit which in my case granted me the right to have my catering business in my house, well actually to run the OFFICE from my home. And if anyone asked I told them I worked out of the halls where my events were which are already health department certified ...which I did. But I also baked cakes from home. To be honest it might not have been right, but food related sickness from baked goods is RARE. So I didnt worry alot. Also the rules for having baked good made from your home are different than restaurant rules. Which is why people have bake sales and cake walks at is easier to get a permit to sell them. And in some cases you dont have to have one at all.

Mine was called a "Home Occupational Variance". So check on that and if they don't have it where you are, ask about a bakery type liscense. I dont think it will be too hard unless maybe you are in a huge city or something. Hope this helps!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 12

icon_sad.gif let me tell you about the special use zoning permit......its a piece of cake, haha its just alot of rediculas paper work, then here i have to wait because its an 80 day process to get the thing finished. i have to have a meeting with my neigbors and inform them that i would like to make cakes in my basement and ask their permision, and if i dont get a lot of neg. feedback then we proceed to next portian of paperwork. its not that big of a deal, but 80 days is a bit nuts! THEN i still have to work with the health dept. to get a liscense. here you have to have a seperate kitchen with a three bay sink and a seperate sink for washing hands.....i got all that. (got it at garage sale and ebay!) so now i just have to wait for my 80 days of paperwork to be finished. grrrr
but in the long run, it will be wonderful to have a liscense...theres not much bakery business around here, except for the grocery stores, so i am going to go CRAZY with advertisment. i guess the 80 day wait isnt so bad, it'll give me a chance to finish all my wilton courses and some gumpaste flower courses. icon_lol.gif
i love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 12

DARN! it sux that it is going to take so long! Here the committee meets every month and you get your name on the roster and then you meet when they vote on it and there are a lot of others asking for the same type things. You stand and tell them what you want to do . They vote and tell you yea or nay then you go to the liscensing area of the same building (city hall) pay and get your temp one and get the other in the mail in a week. Either way you have got it started! thumbs_up.gif

Lizzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzi Posted 26 May 2005 , 5:49am
post #11 of 12

I have made a few business cards with just my cell #, no address, just my 1st name. I have been asked for some too, but am scared to make more. I would never put it in the phone book, unless I was all legal. I still have lots to learn to become legal & all that.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 2:00pm
post #12 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif Hey Ya'll,
I too have been told that you have to becareful with the advertising part of the business. I was told that you can't even run an ad in the local paper b/c of the health dept. I have also heard that you need a commerical type dish washer that heats up to at least 190 degrees. a friend of mine has one. its Awesome,, washes an entire load in 1 minute flat. icon_surprised.gif
Good Luck to you All!
~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%