Don't Sell Yourselves Short!

Decorating By southaustingirl Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 9:12pm by mkolmar

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #1 of 29

I learned a very valuable lesson this past weekend.........don't be afraid to quote a price because you think the customer will walk away. I made this castle cake for a little girl's 4th birthday (it's also posted in my photos). The bottom part is 4 layers of chocolate cake and the top is a 3 layer, 6" strawberry cake. Even the turrets are cake..........and it weighed a TON!!

I am too ashamed to post what I charged but it definitely was not enough! I am always afraid that I will lose a customer because they might think my prices are too high..........it was a hard lesson to learn.
LL

28 replies
showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:46am
post #2 of 29

I am right there with you on the charging business. Your cake is adorable and I'm sure it took countless hours to make.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:49am
post #3 of 29

I feel the same way you do! I ALWAYS underprice myself for fear of them thinking it's too high. So I feel your pain!

Your castle is adorable! What did you charge? Don't be ashamed, I bet alot of us do the same thing!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:59am
post #4 of 29

I agree, we think your cake is beautiful....but I never really know what we should get for one of these? Please what did you get?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:02am
post #5 of 29

Your cake is awsome and I know it's hard to charge the right price but it as you become more confident it will be easier. Just remember don't charge less than the grocery store and remember too that your cakes have more creativity than a grocery stores so for cakes such as your castle you need to charge extra.
Jacqui

southaustingirl Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:05am
post #6 of 29

I only charged $45.00...........I know, I know....how STUPID!!! icon_cry.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:26am
post #7 of 29

I would never say that, we are all starting out, and trying to win customers confidence in us....but you are right, your cake was worth much more than that. Next time we will all know better! thumbs_up.gif

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:41am
post #8 of 29

your cake is def worth more for sure....im guilty of diong the same thing icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:56am
post #9 of 29

Folks, what is wrong with us? I think I've read about 3-4 threads similar to this just today! (ok.... I admit it .... I spend WAY too much time on here!) But the common thread in the threads is that we are "afraid" to charge a higher price. Because they "might" think it's too high.

Afraid? They MIGHT think it's too high?

In most cases, I get the impression that the customer never actually SAID anything about the price being too high, but the poster just felt it was too high. (picture us standing there, wringing our hands, the beads of sweat on our forehead as we fret and worry about if we're are going to hurt someone's feelings with a reasonable price!)

I say we start a Baker's Anonymous - Decorators division (" B.A.D." for short). We will stand up in each meeting and recite, "My name is Debi and I am B.A.D. because I am not confident in my skills and talent and don't charge what my work is worth!"

Who's with me! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 5:24am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Folks, what is wrong with us? I think I've read about 3-4 threads similar to this just today! (ok.... I admit it .... I spend WAY too much time on here!) But the common thread in the threads is that we are "afraid" to charge a higher price. Because they "might" think it's too high.

Afraid? They MIGHT think it's too high?

In most cases, I get the impression that the customer never actually SAID anything about the price being too high, but the poster just felt it was too high. (picture us standing there, wringing our hands, the beads of sweat on our forehead as we fret and worry about if we're are going to hurt someone's feelings with a reasonable price!)

I say we start a Baker's Anonymous - Decorators division (" B.A.D." for short). We will stand up in each meeting and recite, "My name is Debi and I am B.A.D. because I am not confident in my skills and talent and don't charge what my work is worth!"

Who's with me! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Count me in....

The way I figure it... At the grocery store a sheet cakes 9x13 starts at $21.00 and that is for a basic cake. icon_confused.gif

I was so disgusted with the last cake that I (in a firm voice) requested a discount because the gal that did my cake could not follow simple (in ink pen) directions, but claimed she couldn't read what was on the order by another gal! Did I get a phone call to confirm - NO icon_mad.gif

It was suppose to be a marble vanilla/chocolate marble cake. White icing, with red/blue boarder on half and orange/purple boarder on the other half. With "Congratulations Name" in one of the colors. How simple was that? icon_eek.gif

Needless to say, I got a white cake (no marble), with blue and gray icing only!

So with all that being said, I will have no problem asking for a fair reasonable price based on what I went through and what a customer is asking for...

I would still like to join B.A.D. just in case I loose my NERVE - icon_cool.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:32am
post #11 of 29

southaustin your cake is beautiful and I suspect with all the time you put in your cake (AND TALENt) that you will charge a hell of a lot more for this cake in the future...I would of paid at least 130.00 for this cake!! (AT LEAST)

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:52am
post #12 of 29

Your cake is fab and worth a lot more. I'm terrible for quoting cake prices and after we've all agreed on a price, I always thnk - I haven't charged enough!
I think its cos people who don't bake cakes really have no ideas how much work and effort goes into baking and decorating a cake to their design, they just think, 'I could bake a sponge and throw some icing on top', icon_eek.gif so unfortunately each time we quote a price (the price it should be)! just ignore the glazed look which crosses their face and wait for a reply. If they don't want it then its their loss!! (I know easy to say)!! icon_biggrin.gif

cheers
Jan x

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:55am
post #13 of 29

OUCH! What did that serve 50, 60, servings?! I wouldn't have let that go for a cent less than $150!!! Learning lessons the hard way is the worst! Great cake btw!

dhawkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhawkins Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:21am
post #14 of 29

I have yet to find my confidence. I have made all 3 of my sisters wedding cakes, my son's' my dad's, and two nieces' too, as gifts. I always offer to do cakes for people I know, who I want to give a break to, because weddings can cost so much and I want to help them out - I have never charged more than $50 for a wedding cake for a non-family member- all have been at least 4 tiers - I deliver and set up. One time, I guess I wasn't clear enough and lost my cake plates/pillars in the deal. My sister is encouraging me to get out into the business world of baking, but I don't think I'd survive too long without a really good business partner! I do photography, too, and have the same problem - mostly, I give my work away - I guess I like to make people happy. My mother's best advice was to never give more than you can afford to - never do anything expecting something in return unless you have agreed before hand. She was a wise woman.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:31am
post #15 of 29

Your cake is beautiful and worth more than that! Did you make any profit? (Don't forget the hidden costs.)

We have to remember, "We are not the Dollar General of the cake world, we're the Macy's." We offer exclusive designs and people can't get that anywhere.

I always ask my customers what theme or ideas they have in mind and how many guests they will have. Then, I work up 2 or 3 designs and let them know in advance the price range for each design based on material, time and complexity etc. They know in advance, that it's not going to be cheap. They usually pick the price range that they're comfortable with and I work from there.

Benita143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Benita143 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:41am
post #16 of 29

I am so glad that I am not alone . Last week I was asked to bake my first 'paid' cake. The first one where money will be exchanged.
I sent the lady a few samples that she can choose from and gave her the price for one....she wants two spiderman themed cakes.
She took so long to reply that I made contact and told her that she can have one free and pay for the other...cos I was so worried that it was too expensive and she would cancel.
I know...that was silly.
She now confirmed her order and I will bake two cakes of which the one is free.
Keep in mind that I only bake cakes from scratch and live in Germany where one cannot find 'stuff' easily.

debbed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbed Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:09pm
post #17 of 29

Your cake is great!! Just remember that you need to not only charge for your products but also for your time and talent. After all dressmakers don't just charge for the materials to make your clothing. Keep up the great work!!

Oh indydebi, I want to be a charter member of B.A.D.!!LOL

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:29pm
post #18 of 29

I've gone through this before too-- sometimes I still underprice on "extras" like fondant modeling...but on everything else, as long as I'm priced with the nicer bakeries, I feel okay.

I've learned that the quickest way to get burned out on making cakes is to feel like you're working for peanuts!!

Benita143, no more free cakes!! icon_eek.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:47pm
post #19 of 29

the most important thing not to forget is that once you start undercharging for your work, people will come to expect it. then it will be harder to adjust up to where your prices truly belong. if you are afraid of people walking away, i have two feelings on this. first, let them go. they can get a sheet cake at the local grocery store for a couple of bucks, but will it be as beautiful or as personalized or (as cheesy as it might sound), made with as much love?

second, if you are worried that people won't want to pay a higher (yet well-deserved) price, offer them something as an incentive. i offer chocolate mice or chocolate dipped strawberries or oreos with orders sometimes. the customers are thrilled to get something extra and are more willing to come back and pay that little extra money.

i had a promotion on my web site in march, if you clicked on a link and told me a special code when you ordered (marchmice), you got 6 free chocolate mice with your order. so many people loved getting the free mice (which costs me pennies to make) and i'm sure it will bring them back again (even if the next time they don't get anything free. they might the following order, ya know?)

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:49pm
post #20 of 29

Question - regarding this string?

Has any one thought of taking a design or cake order to a grocery store or another bakery to see what someone else will charge?

I remember a thread last week about a Bridezilla that wanted a multi teir wedding cake for less that $400.00. The CC member was so frustrated with the bride that her husband suggested in getting three quotes for the same cake at other bakeries.

Find "Bridezilla - what do I do" for details.

If I remember correctly, it could not be done for the price the bride wanted to pay.

The way I figure it... if a professional bakery or a grocery store offers a $XXX price why can we not?

After checking a few backery websites that have prices listed, most cakes start between $2.50 - $4.00 per slice. A 12 slice cake at $2.50 is $30.00... add on some extras for fillings, piping, etc and you see that your time and effort will pay for itself.

Heck - Duff's cakes start at $500.00 not matter what design he makes. Some of those cakes on his site must be in the $1000's of dollars!

I have been doing this for less than a month and have spent a small fortune in equipment and classes thus far and will more than likely spend more for my first paid cake...

From what I have read of everyone.. and i mean everyone is more than generous with their cake abilities and time...

I do not have a college education in finance, but I know what I'm willing to pay for something that is out of my talent zone.

My plan is to start with a basic rate sheet and have additional prices for extra's...

1. sheet cake - $xxxx
2. two teir cake non wedding- $xxxx (extra for more teirs)
3. wedding cakes - $xxxx
4. basic cake flavor (yellow/chocolate) - included in base price
5. Gum Paste / Fondant work - $xxxx
6. 3D cakes and figures - $xxxx
etc... etc... etc...

Secondly, have a book of pictures to show clients. This way they can see what is on paper vs what is in your head and encourage them to ask questions.

If a customer is shopping based on price, send them to the grocery store bakery.

If they want something unique SELL YOUR CAKE, YOUR TALENT and why YOUR cake is a good investment!

I look at things like this... If a customer wants a Yugo Cake - send them to the grocery store bakery... If the customer wants a Cadillac Cake convience them and charge them accordingly.

In the long run it will pay off and your guilt and worry will be well worth the postitive word of mouth and honest pricing for what you do best - Make Cakes - thumbs_up.gif

Just one Gal's opinion.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:57pm
post #21 of 29

well put, sonja.

i did just that. i have a page on my site that pretty much lays it all out there. it's like buying a car. you get the base car for $x and you pay for the bells and whistles. I tell them what to expect to pay for all my cakes as a base cake (two layers of cake, torted and filled, smoothed frosting, a piped border (top and bottom), and writing (if requested)).

then i list the detail work i can do. a fbct is $5 extra, piped flowers are an extra $3 and up, etc.

if they add the numbers up and like what they see, yay! a sale! if not, then enjoy your dry grocery store cake that's been sitting there for 3 days and isn't what you wanted at all. you'll be back! lol

southaustingirl Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:04pm
post #22 of 29

Well, one thing is for sure..........anyone that went to this birthday party is gonna want a cake for the same price!!

I made a fireman theme cake for the lady who referred me to the lady wanting the castle cake. I charged her $35 for an 11" x 19" cake. When she finds out I only charged $45 for the castle......YIKES!! She origianlly wanted a 3-D fire truck but I told her that would cost, at least, $50.00 (she thought it was too much).

I really screwed up!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:35pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benita143

......She took so long to reply that I made contact and told her that she can have one free and pay for the other...cos I was so worried that it was too expensive and she would cancel.....

icon_confused.gif Why is it better to lose money, to come out in the red, rather than have them go somewhere else? icon_confused.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:40pm
post #24 of 29

Your cake is beautiful, I think we have all undercharged at one time or another.

I used to undercharge to get customers and because I THOUGHT the person may not want to pay that price. Since then I give the customer my price and they can take it or leave it. There is no way I'm working hrs and hrs on a cake for almost free.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm
post #25 of 29

LittleBigMomma

Quote:
Quote:

We have to remember, "We are not the Dollar General of the cake world, we're the Macy's." We offer exclusive designs and people can't get that anywhere.

Thanks. I needed this. I am always underpricing because I think people will think it is too high because the people in my area are used to going to Wal-Mart or the Piggly Wiggly and because I am still new at cake decorating don't think my cakes are worth what I'd really like to charge.

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 5:35pm
post #26 of 29

I'm right with indydebi ~ When I first started I was very unsure of myself but as my confidence has grown I FINALLY realized the time it takes to make a one of a kind cake is time consuming. I used to underprice everything as I was just trying to build a clientel so to speak. Well, ALL my customers have raved on the cakes I've made so before I let it go too long my prices went up, and rightly so.

I don't do this full time, I have a regular full time job and a child and husband to take care off, not to mention my son is just beginning soccer so my time is very valuable, Ssooo with that said I made up a price sheet and go from there. If someone really wants a cake from me GREAT, if not they can find someplace that will make their cake more in the budget they had in mind. Not to be mean but its no sweat off my nose as I have plenty of other things to keep my busy, and if I don't have any orders any free time I have I spend on teaching myself some new technique ~ my latest endouver ~ gumpaste. icon_biggrin.gif

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 5:38pm
post #27 of 29

Sorry, I got on my high horse there and forgot to say your cake was absolutely beautiful!!!!

Kaysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaysha Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:57pm
post #28 of 29

Beautiful cake! I'm the same way. I get funny looks about some cakes I have done when I give them a price. I know I charge less than another lady in the area because I am worried about charging too much. I never charge family for cakes either.

I did a wedding cake for my sis-in-law's brother & told her I was going to charge $300 to cover my supplies. She informs me the week before we do it that she's not going to tell her brother the cost since she was going to give that as the wedding present. I was not too happy since she knows I feel guilty about charging family. I did the castle cake for my youngest brother's little girl & he was going to give me $200 for it when he couldn't afford it. Told him I wouldn't take his money.

I guess if I have a brother who can't afford it willing to pay for a cake, I shouldn't have a problem charging others

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:12pm
post #29 of 29

I finally have decided to be true to myself. I may mess up and undercharge, but it won't be deliberate anymore. I just don't have the time to invest to hardly cover my expenses. A few people have said "that's kind of high" and have not cameback. They decided to go to a grocery chain store because they were cheaper. That's fine with me. I can not compete with their prices and what I do is different than what they do. So no skin off my back. I'd rather be paid what I'm worth and enjoy doing it and if not it just gives me that much more time to spend with my family. Mind you, it's taken me a while to get to this point. If you heard what I was charging for my first wedding cake this december you would hit the floor, wayyyyy to cheap, but it's my first one and will be a learning experiance. (that's my excuse and rationalizing it in my head icon_lol.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%