Alice's Cookie Icing

Baking By patton78 Updated 22 Apr 2006 , 6:05am by MichelleM77

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 12

I need opinions from people who have used this icing recipe. I would like to try it instead of royal icing because it sounds like it would taste much better. Does it dry like royal icing and is it easy to work with?

11 replies
momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 12

Hi Patton78,
I just used this recipe for the first time the other night. I thought it was very easy to work with & tasted great. I iced the my cookies in the evening, and bagged them the next morning- no smearing or smudging at all. It dries to be just firm enough on the outside, but is still relatively soft to bite into. This is definitely my new favorite recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

patton78 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 12

Great, thanks so much for letting me know that. I will definately try it this weekend on the cookies I am making!

Jenni27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni27 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 12

I also like Alice's cookie icing. It dries to a shinier finish than royal icing and tastes wonderful. It's my favorite recipe, too!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 12

I LOVE Alice's Icing. I like to thin it so I get that color flow look. That means I have to let the cookies dry 24 hours before they can be bagged or stacked. But, I think it's worth it.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:25am
post #6 of 12

Good to know you had to wait 24 hours because I iced mine this afternoon and they are still soft. Hopefully by tomorrow they will hard enough to stack. This was a trial run of Alice's icing and I love the taste! I used the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe and the two together I think are great.

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 12

Me again......It's been 24 hours and the icing still smashes. I did thin for flooding, but the outline was so thick it almost didn't make it through my tip! Hhhmmm....guess I will have to try something. Maybe I will try the oven drying method that was talked about in another post. At this point the cookies are going to be stale before the icing hardens!

Anyone with ideas?

Michelle

Frohdi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frohdi Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 12

I also tried Alices Icing - it tasted great but it never fully dried, even after 4 days. I wasnt able to stack the cookies .. I piped out thicker icing and I did thin it to flood. When I tried to stack, the top harder layer of frosting crushed, showing the softer icing underneath. I am still learning, so I will try it again ..

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 12

Since you all have tried the recipe....I was wondering...

Does Alice's recipe have a strong tart taste? Or should I just buckle down and make it....I will, but I was wondering what you all thought.

I've made an icing that had cream of tartar in it, and I thought it was so tart. I really didn't like it, my mother and sister didn't either. If we all don't like something, I don't continue to use it.

Thanks,
Steph

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 12

I'm too lazy to get up and look at the recipe, but you should be able to find it in many places on this site. I don't think it has cream of tartar in it. I think it tasted great. I just wish it would crust, but you can't have everything I guess. icon_wink.gif

Michelle

patton78 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 12

I know that this recipe does not have cream of tarter. I have heard mixed results on drying versus not drying. Some do, some don't. I am wondering if that just has to do with how thick you flood it onto the cookie? I am going to make it this weekend to decorate cookies for my daughters school so I will let you know how the icing does. Thanks for all your input!

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 6:05am
post #12 of 12

Ok gotcha. thumbs_up.gif Please let us know how your cookies turn out and post a picture!!

Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%