What Flavors Do You Offer To Your Clients?

Business By nefgaby Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 11:56pm by OhMyGoodies

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:11am
post #1 of 98

OK, so I´m not in business right now but would love to do so... one day, hopefully soon!

So far I bake (most often):
Butter Vanilla
Carrot
Chocolate
Almond Cake
Lemon Poppyseed

All my cakes are doctored up box mixes, all taste great, IMO and my family and friends seem to like them...
So my question is, what other flavors should I offer, please help, and would love it if you are willing to share a recipe or two icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks soo much!!! I really appreciate your help! icon_biggrin.gif

97 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:13am
post #2 of 98

what about strawberry, butter pecan, marble, lemon???

Those all come in boxes.....

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:16am
post #3 of 98

Thanks Florimbio, the thing is that I like to add that extra "something" to the box mix and that is what is keeping me from adding them to my favs, I haven´t found a good strawberry or butter pecan that I really like, different from the box. Now the marble, I do bake that one upon request, for some reason I don´t love it.
Thanks for all your help!!!!

Florimbio Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:22am
post #4 of 98

I use the strawberry box cake and insted of the water I use this orange, strawberry, banna juice...My customers RAVE about it....

I use a box butter pecan, but insted of oil I use real butter, and use milk insted of water....

Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:50am
post #5 of 98

The Betty Crocker butter pecan mix is really good, and I also like Duncan Hines strawberry.

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:07am
post #6 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florimbio

I use the strawberry box cake and insted of the water I use this orange, strawberry, banna juice...My customers RAVE about it....

I use a box butter pecan, but insted of oil I use real butter, and use milk insted of water....

Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

Ooohh what a great idea, thanks so much!! I would´ve never thought of adding juice to my strawberry cake!! Thanks so much for the tip, can´t wait to try it, I love to drink that juice, can´t imagine adding it to a cake!

And do you substitute the oil for the same amount of butter? Do you melt the butter??

Thanks sooo much! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:21am
post #7 of 98

That juice thing is a great idea!

I don't have a list of flavors ... I just tell my brides ".....If I can get it, you can have it". So far I've not had a request for a freaky flavor that I couldn't do.

Florimbio Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:49am
post #8 of 98

I just do the same amount butter for oil....I do kinda soften it in the mocrowave, but not melt it....

I make an orage cake out of lemon cake mix and just use regular oj in it to....

The cake Doctor books are good to have for ideas as well...

You can also try adding Loranne Flavor oils or extracts....

Florimbio Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:57am
post #9 of 98

Ya know what else in yummy..I got it here too...Use white cake and add white choc. candy melts....

Make a yummy white choc. white cake my customers LOVE!!!! I do not know how I forgot that one, it is my most requested cake icon_biggrin.gif

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #10 of 98

My dad's favorite cake is butter pecan, so I decided to try to doctor it a little. I just add white chocolate pudding and about 1/4 finely ground pecans. It is moist and delicious.

I also do coconut. I put in coconut cream pudding and sub cream of coconut (coco lopez) for the water. Also very delicious.

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:06am
post #11 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciababcock

My dad's favorite cake is butter pecan, so I decided to try to doctor it a little. I just add white chocolate pudding and about 1/4 finely ground pecans. It is moist and delicious.

I also do coconut. I put in coconut cream pudding and sub cream of coconut (coco lopez) for the water. Also very delicious.

Thank you so much for the coconut idea!! Yuuuum, I love coconut!

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:07am
post #12 of 98
Quote:

Ya know what else in yummy..I got it here too...Use white cake and add white choc. candy melts....

Make a yummy white choc. white cake my customers LOVE!!!! I do not know how I forgot that one, it is my most requested cake icon_biggrin.gif

OK, just have to ask (pick your brain one more time icon_biggrin.gif ) How much candy melts do you add to make it white chocolate, ohhh please share! White chocolate is my fav thing in the whole world!!! Can´t wait to try this one too!! I guess I´ll be baking and baking and baking...

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:12am
post #13 of 98

because I am new in the kitchen, i invented screw up suprise...
I needed two cake mixes and only had a lemon and a strawberry, both of the same brand, and both required the same ingredients...so I combined them. it comes out kind of orangy tasting, and oragne in color but my husband, and coworker and her family loved it!
I think it is sort of the same idea as the juice, but i imagine the juice is DELICIOUS!!!--thanks for sharing.

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:14am
post #14 of 98

"screw up surprise" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sometimes that ends up being our family's most favorite dish!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:14am
post #15 of 98

these are my cake flavors:

Carrot (add raisins and/or nuts)
Chocolate Fudge
Cinnamon Swirl
Coconut
Devil's Food
French Vanilla
German Chocolate
Golden Vanilla
Marble
Milk Chocolate
Rainbow Party
Spice
White
Yellow
Vanilla

Specialty Cake Flavors
Lemon
Orange Creamsicle
Red Velvet
Strawberry Cheesecake

the orange, red velvet and strawberry cheesecake are very popular.

for the orange cake, i use a box and add orange juice and orange extract. for the strawberry cheesecake, i add in a box of cheesecake flavored instant pudding and an extra egg.

i used to offer butter recipes, but i made one as cupcakes once and they shrank and wrinkled. i can't offer that to customers.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:17am
post #16 of 98

I'm proud to say that I just did my first tasting with a couple over the weekend and it went WONDERFULLY!!! I was so happy to say I offer:

Cake: Yellow. Lemon, WASC, Chocolate, Red Velvet, Coconut

Fillings: Raspberry Mousse, Chocolate Mousse, Cookies & Cream, Cheesecake,Lemon, Apricot, Strawberry, Strawberry Mousse, Pineapple, Coconut Mango

Icings: IMBC, American BC, Lemon BC, Cream Cheese BC.

Part of why I was so happy is because the fiance (man) was adamant about me not making their cake since I'm fairly new to this...about 6 months now. (The bride is my cousin)I let them go out on about 4 tastings and-disappointed by them all-they came back to me. So, I felt like I'd better come across strong. The fiance is the one that kept finding fault with all the bakeries. He loved everything and I think I reallty impressed him. I was so thrilled (and tired...I made some of everything for the tasting). Before Friday night (the tasting was Sunday) I didn't know what the heck I "offered"
icon_smile.gif (I know I went on a tangent, but I was so happy about this. Thanks for reading)

I can't wait to try the Strawberry cake with the juice!!!

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:20am
post #17 of 98

tomoore, that is a great story about converting an apprehensive groom, and I'm so glad you shared that! I'll bet you have customers for life, now! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:21am
post #18 of 98

"screw up surprise" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sometimes that ends up being our family's most favorite dish!

Florimbio Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:25am
post #19 of 98

As far as the white chocolate I just sprinkle what looks good in it..This is listed her in the recipe section, that is where I found it, but I don't measure now, I just grind it up and dump it... Then mix the cake batter...never had a problem so far....The choc. melts, so it is just a creamy, tasty white cake...

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:34am
post #20 of 98
Quote:

As far as the white chocolate I just sprinkle what looks good in it..This is listed her in the recipe section, that is where I found it, but I don't measure now, I just grind it up and dump it... Then mix the cake batter...never had a problem so far....The choc. melts, so it is just a creamy, tasty white cake...

Wow, need to look for that recipe, thanks for sharing!!!!

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:36am
post #21 of 98

Congratulations Tomoore!!! That is the greatest compliment anyone could had given you and such a confidence booster, you go girl!!

And that screw-up surprise, too funny, can´t wait to try it!!! Yuuuuum!!

cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:43am
post #22 of 98

i love reading about the fun ways to doctor up mixes. great thread thumbs_up.gif

for my basic flavors, i offer:

chocolate fudge
gold (sounds more luxurious than yellow icon_smile.gif
white
white almond
carrot
lemon
coconut

i've been wanting to try to make an orange pineapple cake. i was going to use orange flavoring with crushed pineapple but i might try the orange juice trick instead. thanks!

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:44am
post #23 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

these are my cake flavors:

Carrot (add raisins and/or nuts)
Chocolate Fudge
Cinnamon Swirl
Coconut
Devil's Food
French Vanilla
German Chocolate
Golden Vanilla
Marble
Milk Chocolate
Rainbow Party
Spice
White
Yellow
Vanilla

Specialty Cake Flavors
Lemon
Orange Creamsicle
Red Velvet
Strawberry Cheesecake

the orange, red velvet and strawberry cheesecake are very popular.

for the orange cake, i use a box and add orange juice and orange extract. for the strawberry cheesecake, i add in a box of cheesecake flavored instant pudding and an extra egg.

i used to offer butter recipes, but i made one as cupcakes once and they shrank and wrinkled. i can't offer that to customers.

Now Jescapades, here I go..... ready to pick your brain, if you don´t mind icon_lol.gif

So for your strawberry cheesecake, all you do is add the cheesecake pudding to the strawberry cake? And the extra egg? Do you get a good cheesecake flavor? Just curious... sounds yummy!

And for the non-specialty cakes, do you add anything "special" to your box mixes? (other than your raisins and nuts to the carrot cake?) For example, the coconut cake, do you add some extra coconut flavors? Or the cinnamon swirl... or the spice cake? I´ve tried this flavors, from DH, just like so, out of the box, nothing extra and they are good but I´m afraid to offer something with nothing "extra special" added to it... icon_confused.gif Might be just me, but please, do share your opinion. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks Jescapades and BIG THANKS TO EVERYBODY!!!! I´m so happy to hear so many new ideas and tips!!
Gabby

jescapades Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:57am
post #24 of 98

hi gabby! what i do is add some kind of instant pudding and an extra egg to those flavors that the pudding would complement. for example, chocolate pudding to the chocolate flavors, vanilla pudding to the vanilla flavors, etc. for the flavors that don't have a complementing pudding, i add extra flavors. for example, extra spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc) and extracts to the spice and carrot.

i add lemon juice and extract to the lemon (holy puckered lips batman! icon_lol.gif ) and the red velvet is from scratch.

the cheesecake and extra egg is all i add to the strawberry cake mix. that, and some extra vanilla. it really does taste cheesecake-y. i am going to play around more with extra add-ins and such since i am getting more confident with my skills.

i also want to add the wasc cake to my list. i want to try it first, though, and make sure it's as awesome as i've heard.

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:04am
post #25 of 98

Thanks so much Jess!!!! I will do the same this weekend, I guess I´ll be having a 1000 and 1 cake balls in the freezer by next week...

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:34am
post #26 of 98

I LOVE CAKE!
This is what I offer:
Cake:
Chocolate
Chocolate Cherry
Chocolate Orange
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Chocolate Coffee
White Vanilla
Cherry Almond
Coconut
Yellow Butter Cake
Lemon
Banana
Strawberry

Filling:
Orange Cream
Lemon Cream
Cherry Cream
Chocolate Mousse
Vanilla Cream
Raspberry Cream
Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse
Coffee Cream
Strawberry Cream
Chocolate Strawberry Cream

Icing:
Buttercream
Chocolate Buttercream
Vanilla Cream Cheese
Chocolate Cream Cheese
Cherry Buttercream
Orange Buttercream
Lemon Buttercream
Chocolate Coffee Buttercream
Strawberry Vanilla Buttercream

So far my #1 seller has been the Yellow Butter Cake with Raspberry Cream filling. Some people put chocolate buttercream or chocolate cream cheese on it. I prefer the lemon buttercream on it.

nefgaby Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:13am
post #27 of 98

OK Mizshelli, your turn now, may I ask you a couple questions??

How do you combine a chocolate cake with cherry, orange or peanut butter? Are you a scracth baker?
And your coconut cake, what do you add to give that extra coconut flavor??

Thanks so much! Really, will test a TON of recipes very soon!

cakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:54am
post #28 of 98

When using filling such as a flavored mousse- do you refrigerate your cake? Do you use the mousse filling in a wedding that sits on display for a few hours? Some of the fillings listed sound DELICIOUS!!!

Florimbio Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:07pm
post #29 of 98

WOW, we have some talented bakers here on CC!!!!! I would love to know more about the choc. cherry, and I LOVE the cheescake pudding idea....

jescapades Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:49pm
post #30 of 98

as far as frostings and fillings, i offer:

Filling Flavors
Any Frosting Flavor
Bavarian Cream
Chocolate Mousse
Chocolate Pudding
Cream Cheese
Fresh Fruit (seasonal)
Fruit Mousse (assorted flavors)
Lemon Curd
Marshmallow Cream
Peanut Butter Mousse
Vanilla Pudding

Frosting Flavors
Buttercream
Chocolate
Chocolate Buttercream
Chocolate Chip
Coconut
Coconut Pecan
Cream Cheese
Dark Chocolate
French Vanilla
Lemon
Milk Chocolate

Specialty Frosting Flavors
Chocolate Ganache
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Dairy Whip
Marshmallow Fondant
Mary Kay
Peanut Butter
Whipped Chocolate Ganache

I also offer chocolate mice, chocolate dipped and tuxedo strawberries, chocolate dipped oreos and fruit pizza

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%