An Expensive Lesson Learned

Decorating By candyladyhelen Updated 21 Apr 2006 , 5:16pm by loriemoms

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 22

Well, it's my busiest week ever for cakes. I don't know how you gals who do multiple cakes in a weekend do it, but it's killing me! Have a 3 tiered wedding cake, 16", 10" & 8" all double layered. A cupcake wedding cake for 100, & 3 groom's cakes all for this weekend! Well, both now want me to do the wedding cake top decorations. More & more brides are not buying them nowadays. So the cupcake one has an 8" top tier. Not too much of a problem. Wants tulips, hydranges, & mini calli's. BUT the other 3 tiered cake....is sooooo hard! It's a celebrity couple's cake. Rob somebody. It has balls for pillars. I did use the Wilton pillar set. It looks the same. Plus more smaller balls all around the separators. But the cake top is a killer. I just worked on it from 8:30 am til 3:00pm!!!! 6 1/2 hours. It has graduated pearls, all on wire, then you form them geometrically in a new age design. All of the balls & pearls have to be dusted coral & some silver. My lesson learned...ALWAYS charge for the cake topper. Really, I don't mind it too much this time. I like to try new things & it's always good learning new techniques. Just thought I'd share my experience. Oh, and the 3 grooms cakes are a huge juke box cake, a hunting cake and a fish cake! But so far, I'm on schedule. Helen

21 replies
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 22

Bless your heart! I could never do ALL that. Someday hopefully. Good luck! Thanks for the advice too! icon_smile.gif

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 22

wow icon_surprised.gif you are a superwoman, you certainly have my respect.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 22

Whew, you go girl!!!! And be sure to post pictures - can't wait to see how they all turn out.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 22

Hope you survive the weekend! I don't know how decorators do it either. If I had a wedding cake I think I'd have to turn down even the smallest of orders so I could concentrate 100% on the wedding cake. I don't do too much business yet, but one weekend I had 3 birthday cakes and I about came unglued! I for one don't do great under pressure! I know that about myself since having become a mother. Thought I could handle anything until my first child came along, now I soooo know my limitations! icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck with all the cakes! I hear you about the toppers, but I think this is how we all learn. Sometimes we can't imagine the amount of work and expense involved in a process until we're in the midst of it. You'll know next time and like you said you're learning something new! That's the best part in my opinion. I love it when someone asks me to do something completely different than what I've attempted in the past! icon_wink.gif

Try and have fun! Hope you don't lose any hair! lol

candyladyhelen Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Whew, you go girl!!!! And be sure to post pictures - can't wait to see how they all turn out.

Me either!!!! Helen

DIAELI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DIAELI Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 22

Oh my! I admire you making so many at one time!
Good luck! I know all will be a success

greetings from Guatemala
Diane

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 22

wow! you have had a busy week...I'm sure you'll stay on track. Good Luck with everything!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:27am
post #9 of 22

Wow! That is amazing! I couldn't imagine doing that all in one week!!!

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:31am
post #10 of 22

I don't think I could do it; I have two kids, and a full time job; I am room mom for my son's class, and I also have been volunteered to make the cakes for my daughter's parties at school; which usually falls on the same day as my son's parties; that is stress enough for me! I couldn't imaging doing three cakes, that someone else paid for, all at the same time! You go girl. icon_cool.gif

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:47am
post #11 of 22

I'm dying to know who the celebrity is???? Wow, you must be doing an excellent job!!!! You can do it!!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:52am
post #12 of 22

I admire you for your ability to handle all of these projects at one time. After doing a wedding cake here then the next day packing up my cake stuff etc and driving straight thru to Ca to begin work on another for the next Saturday I decided it was a wee bit more than I ever want to take on at a time again. I was pleased with my results but dealing with weddings so close together was a lot for me. I love doing cakes but I wouldn't want to be doing them all the time. I do have great respect for those of you who do. I'll be wanting to see your cakes when you post them. Hang in there!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:00am
post #13 of 22

I am tired just reading about all of that... I cant wait to see the final cakes!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:06am
post #14 of 22

You just make sure you take a good long break when you're all done!!!

candyladyhelen Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 12:37pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks everyone! I take breaks throughout the day! The one cake top with individual pearls took me 6 & 1/2 hours to make! I still have to wait for another day for it to dry then dust w/coral luster dust. Today is crumb, frost all cakes. Thank goodness hubby does the cooking, cleaning & laundry while I do this! Helen

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 22

i cant wait to see them!!!!

melody

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:29am
post #17 of 22

Your have my respect. The amount of cakes that you took on at one time is unbelievable. I would love to see the pictures when you are done if you have time to take them. Hopefully I will have as much energyand talent as you to take on that many at one time.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:41am
post #18 of 22

I can't imagine taking on that much at one time. You definately have my respect. I have two birthday cakes the same day and I'm stressing out. Can't wait to see the photos.

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:18am
post #19 of 22

looking forward to seeing your photoes. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:52am
post #20 of 22

Good luck Helen ~ I'll be thinking about you this weekend! Make sure you get those photos posted (when you're rested, that is!)

candyladyhelen Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:26pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks everyone! The only reason I took on this much was because I am now the official wedding cake person at a golf resort & the manager asked me to do another wedding the same weekend I had already booked one. It was for the owners daughter. So I said yes. Then first bride wanted 2 grooms cakes. Second bride wanted a grooms cake. Soooo, here I am! It's 10:30 Friday. Fish cake is done. Hunting Cake is just about done. Juke box is stacked, filled frosted & ready for decorating. Only 2 more tiers for wedding cake to crumb coat. Goofy cake top is ready for luster dust. (and I am ready for a nap already!) I had one mishap yesterday. I was splitting one 12x18 cake & it fell apart. I had to bake another right away. It didn't set me back though. And I will post pix probably on Sun or mon. See ya! Helen

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:16pm
post #22 of 22

gads, bless your heart!!! I could never do more then one wedding cake a week. This week I did a whimiscal cake, 100 cupcakes and have a motorcycle cake due on Sunday. I am exhausted. Last night, I took the "night off" and was in bed by 8:30 (I have a full time day job too). But I could NEVER do what you are doing!

I have also noticed brides don't want cake toppers anymore...they want you to make something "nice" or put flowers on it. Why is that? Don't they know you can go with something besides a bride and groom just standing there?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%