How Do You Store Your Ri?

Decorating By countrykittie Updated 17 Apr 2007 , 4:35pm by Lindsayu83

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 13

I'm taking the Wilton 2 and this is the class that we bring our RI. I went out and bought a stainless steel bowl and some smaller metal bowls to make and bring the icing to class. There are 4 smaller bowls so I can colour the icing and bring it to class...but, I was just wondering how you all store your RI? I don't think I'm going to be making that much RI in the near future, but if I need to make and store some for something else, it's nice to know how others do it since plastic containers seem to be out of the question...too bad though...plastic containers would be so much more convenient.

12 replies
allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 13

I've always used plastic containers, without issue. In fact, I've never heard not to. I'm curious, why were you told not to use plastic containers?? I just have a seperate set that I wrote Royal Only on with a Sharpie, so my family doesn't use them for anything greasy by accident.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 13

I'm not sure why you are saying why plastic is out of the question, because transporting those metal bowls just isnt convenient.
You should invest in just some tupperware/plastic containers. Royal icing can be left at room temp on the counter top for a couple of weeks. Just be sure to have plastic wrap ontop of the icing before closing up the container. You dont want it to get a crust ontop from the air in the container. When its time to use the icing again, just beat it/stir it again, and it will return to its normal consistancy. I took about 6 small containers of already colored royal icing to class with me, and one larger tub of white. It worked so well, that this is how I have stored it from then on. I know this is what most other people did as well. Hope this helps!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 13

I bought different sizes of the ziploc storage containers and use these all the time. I think the only time you need to be careful about using the plastic containers is if you had something greasy in them b/c it is somtimes hard to get the grease off of them. This is the only thing I can think of b/c the grease can break down the royal icing.

As for storing For regular royal icing I store with a layer of plastic wrap layed right on top of the icing to keep it from crusting. When I make Antonia's icing for cookies I find that I can't keep the plastic wrap on it or it gets to liquidy when I go to re-use it (still haven't figured this out)

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 13

I'm guessing they said not to use plastic containers because plastic has a tendancy to retain grease from other things it has come in contact with, and grease or oil will break down royal icing, or keep it from totally hardening up.

I bought some of those disposable containers and keep mine in there, I haven't noticed any problems at all, but the containers aren't used for anything else either.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 13

You can store it in anything if air doesn't get to it - I usually keep mine in a ceramic bowl and place a plastic food bag over it so that the food bag is pressing down on the icing so no air can get in. Alternatively you could dollop it into a plastic food bag and keep it in the bag.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 13

My DH vaccuum seals all of my leftover icing in the plastic vaccuum seal bowls. It works great. I also do this to leftover fondant!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 13

Countrykittie
I know exactly what you are talking about in my Wilton class they made it sound like plastic was kinda tabu when it comes to royal. I have left mine in my bag for more than a day but not much longer than that. I always use canning type jars for my royal and they work great.

mini-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mini-cake Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 13

Press and Seal I think Glad makes it is awsome. I always use it to cover my RI.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 13

I use plastic containers all the time. I just wash them out really well and then wipe them down with vinegar and a paper towel. No problems so far.

-Rezzy

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks...mcalhoun, that is exactly what they told us. But, I will go out and buy some plastic containers that are just for RI if I ever have to make RI again. What a pain...LOL

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 13

I went and bought a little "as seen on TV" plastic storage set. there are three different sizes of container, but they all use the same lids, so I don't have to worry about finding the right lid. They have their own little spinner in which they're stored.

I use plastic all the time.

Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbochick

I went and bought a little "as seen on TV" plastic storage set. there are three different sizes of container, but they all use the same lids, so I don't have to worry about finding the right lid. They have their own little spinner in which they're stored.

I use plastic all the time.

kbochick - I have this set too! I love it.

I usually keep the batch in a sealed glass bowl on the counter, and then mix as i go in small plastic cups (yogurt containers). This is usually for cookies, so I only need a little bit at a time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%