Cocoa In Cake Mix

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 16 Apr 2007 , 6:22pm by MikeRowesHunny

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 10

I have a lady who specifically wants dark chocolate cake, NOT devil's food. I usually use the dark chocolate duncan hines with a dark chocolate pudding and extra egg.... should I throw in a bit of cocoa powder too? Would that work? If so, should I add any extra water or oil or milk?

9 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 10

Ok, then this begs the question - since I am not a mix baker - what is the difference between devil's food and another chocolate? I mean REALLY? I'm sure one sid darker, richer than the other but if she is wanting a dark chocolate cake can someone tell me if she would actually notice if you just used devil's food?

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 10

I think the dark chocolate mix plus the dark chocolate pudding and extra egg should do it. I don't think I would add the cocoa powder too.

IMO, devils food cake is a little more bitter than chocolate or chocolate fudge. It doesn't have that rich full chocolate flavor.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 10

Well in my mind devils food IS Dark chocolate I mean how dark does she want it? And will she even know the difference if you just said yes it's dark chocolate?

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 10

I've added extra cocoa (2 T) and 8 oz. of sour cream in addition to the pudding and extra egg. YUM!! Buttermilk is good in chocolate cake too (replace water or milk). But I wouldn't do the sour cream and buttermilk.

I would also love to know the difference between devil's food and chocolate. BC (I think) uses dutch process cocoa in both, so I have no idea. I normally don't like devil's food--tastes like brown cake, not a rich chocolate taste.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 10

The DH fudge cake is a nice DARK chocolate color... I have made it (without doctoring) and it was DELICIOUS!

HTH

Jen

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 10

I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I MYSELF DON'T CARE FOR DEVILS FOOD TOO MUCH EITHER. BUT I DO LIKE THE CHOC FUDGE CAKE MIX AND I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE NOT JUST IN TASTE BUT IN COLOR. DEVILS FOOD HAS A REDISH TINT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 10

Try Toba Garrett's chocolate fudge cake - you won't get richer or darker than that and it truly is the best chocolate cake I've ever made (causes the eyes of my customers to roll into the back of their heads it's that good!). It's an extremely easy recipe too, even a staunch mix baker would have little problems with that one!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Try 's chocolate fudge cake - you won't get richer or darker than that and it truly is the best chocolate cake I've ever made (causes the eyes of my customers to roll into the back of their heads it's that good!). It's an extremely easy recipe too, even a staunch mix baker would have little problems with that one!

Would it work for 3D? That's what this is going to be...

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 10

I've used it for the 3D bear - just chill it well overnight before you decorate icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%