In W-A-Y Over My Head!!! Help!!! Size Of Cake....advice.....

Decorating By isacrowe Updated 23 Apr 2006 , 12:01am by isacrowe

isacrowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isacrowe Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 12:13am
post #1 of 19

Well, I volunteered (ie:forced myself on them) to make a friend's wedding cake - figured they wouldn't expect much since they didn't even want a cake at first.....Now, I'm getting really nervous...the wedding is in 4 weeks and I have no earthly idea why I did such a stupid thing!!! I need help figuring out how many and what size stacks I need for a cake to serve 150...The design is pretty simple, but they wanted strawberries and blueberries cascading down the side and I was wondering if it's even possible, and how, to sugar the strawberries and blueberries (I'm not sure if that's the right term - but what I'm looking for is how to get the pretty sugar coating on the fruit!!!) Anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks.

18 replies
isacrowe Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 12:39am
post #2 of 19

......anyone???.......

.....cricket.......cricket........

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 12:47am
post #3 of 19

Hi There!

There's this handy chart on this website that shows you how many servings per cake size.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/article15-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---3-in-Deep-Pans.html

As for the sugared fruit, I think I remember seeing a few pictures and possibly a thread on the subject. I'll try to look for you!

I'm sure you'll do well!

HTH!
Mirjana

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 12:58am
post #5 of 19

If you are nervous about placing all of your servings in one cake...you could also do a couple of sheet cakes that can go in the kitchen.

I have a wedding for 230 next weekend and I am doing 2 sheet cakes for the kitchen. That sometimes makes it less stressful. icon_smile.gif

isacrowe Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 3:04am
post #6 of 19

Thanks....I'm starting to feel a little more confident now that I've read some of those threads.....I guess I was just getting cold feet!!! I imagine they (bride and groom) can relate!!! icon_lol.gif

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 3:18am
post #7 of 19

Well...........I just wanted to say that I don't know what you're all worried about, lol!

I mean, by the look of that xbox controller, you'll be able to pull off a wedding cake EASY!!!!!!!!!!

Really, your cakes are great! And, I'm sure your 1st wedding cake will be great, too!

Good Luck!!!

partsgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partsgirl25 Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 3:22am
post #8 of 19

your cakes look great . You still have time to get everything organized & planned out. your description of volunteering made me laugh out loud. It sounds just like me.

traci Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 19

Wow! Just wanted to tell you that your cakes are gorgeous!!!! thumbs_up.gif

This wedding cake will be a piece of cake!!! icon_wink.gif

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 19

for the easiest first time wedding cake do not stack more that 2 teirs... That should travel fine then using either push in pillars or ones with bottom plates ( I like the push in they are easier as they are their own support) seperate the top teir and place on the cake when you get there. It also make it easier for them to save the top teir or take it on the honeymoon to enjoy. I prefer to use plastic plates between the teirs and not cardboard as they are stronger but then you can not use a center dowel.... also for the best support to avoid slippage the larger 1/2 inch white plastic dowels are more stable than wood dowels but with either it is critical they are EXACTY the same size and not slanted when you cut them.

As far a sugar fruit it is quite easy but should be done no sooner that 24 hours ahead with fresh fruit and place on the cake at the last minute possible I would do it there if possible...

Use tooth picks to hol the fruit in the sides of the cake but on flat areas a little frosting will work

You will be going for a natural look so you can not go wrong. a few bunches or white flowers mixed in would be lovely

Use the super fine bakers sugar but you can run regular granulated sugar through a food processor.

Eggs whites and a little water make it stick but safer to use merainge powder and water or powdered egg whites to make a egg white wash

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 19

I forgot to add your cakes are lovely I am sure it will work out fine..

don't forget to allow time to enjoy the wedding

and if you are not charging the bride give a card with a picture of the cake saying it was made with love for her... and THAT should be your only gift it is a huge gift.

isacrowe Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 19

Oh....thank you all so much for your encouragement and info!!! I'm starting to be able to wrap my head around what needs to be done!!! It's all the little things like when to assemble, when to prepare, etc...etc...so I really appreciate the comments that explain the little things that I wouldn't necessarily think of asking!!! I love the card idea!!! What a wonderful touch!!! I'm also singing for them...We've laughed about them getting a two-for deal!!! Where else can you get your wedding singer and cake maker for one low (by low I mean free icon_lol.gif ) price!!! I will post a picture when it's all said and done and I'm sleeping again!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

traci Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 1:01am
post #13 of 19

Best of luck...I know you will do a great job!

Also...this will be a nice picture that you can add to your beautiful portfolio of cakes! icon_smile.gif

isacrowe Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:24am
post #14 of 19

You are soooo kind!!! I'm looking forward to having it over with and looking back on it!!! Looking at it from this angle is a little more scarry - but I think I'm up to the challenge!!! I do really appreciate the encouragement and feedback from all you experienced decorators!!! icon_biggrin.gif

isacrowe Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Use tooth picks to hol the fruit in the sides of the cake but on flat areas a little frosting will work

msmeg, you said to hold the fruit up with toothpicks. In this case, all they want are starwberries and blueberries. I was wondering if I pricked a hole in the strawberries - with a toothpick, to hold it up - will the juice from the strawberry start running down the cake????

isacrowe Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 10:27pm
post #16 of 19

Well, I went ahead and did a sample cake for the bride and groom!!! I think it turned out quite well...I learned a lot and they were quite thrilled...I feel much calmer now!!! But please, I would appreciate some practical criticism....It's my first wedding cake and I really would like to get it right!!! thanks.
LL
LL

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 10:34pm
post #17 of 19

That is just beautiful. My BD is in August--make me one, Please???

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 10:53pm
post #18 of 19

I think it looks beautiful. You should feel very proud! How on earth did you get the fruit to cascade down the side of the cake?
Cindy

isacrowe Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 12:01am
post #19 of 19

Thank you both....As for the cascading fruit, I actually cut wedges out of the cake and the fruit is just sitting on the cake and each other (I used some icing to 'glue' them together) there's actually only one strawberry that I had to use a toothpick to secure it to the cake. It was the groom's idea to cut wedges out of the tiers...I think for the actual wedding cake, I'll make the wedges a little wider and deeper so that you can actually see the effect.

Quote:
Quote:

That is just beautiful. My BD is in August--make me one, Please???

I would love to Mac...unfortunately, I was so nervous about getting it up the street to the grooms house (seriously! and it's only a 2 min drive!!!) that I'm not sure I'm up to Fedexing it to Texas!!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%