My Friend Has Some ??-Hoping You All Can Help!

Decorating By Lenette Updated 19 Apr 2006 , 2:31am by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 7

Is there a certain way to do basketweave on a square cake? Do I just pick a starting point and go? Or start at the corner? Would it look right to do a square cake with basketweave (alternating green and white), with frangipani flowers on top and a green bow on the bottom? Too busy?

and

How many of you use or think it's OK to use silk ribbon and/or flowers on cakes? I have not done either but I've seen some pretty cakes that do. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Thank you for any help you can give!

6 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 12:58am
post #2 of 7

I'd start a square basketweave at the corner. If you start it elsewhere you'll have to deal with the issues of starting and stopping points - and I don't know about you, but mine are NEVER perfect!

As for the silk stuff....since you asked, and I hope I don't hurt anybody's feelings, but....like the ribbon...very much dislike flowers. But, the customer is always right. If a family member, friend or customer wants silk flowers on their cake, then that's what they'll get. Someone on CC did a tiered cake earlier this year using cheap silks the bride had picked out. They were horrible in their "native" state, but her creativity turned them into a pretty cake. So, it's all what you make of it, I guess.

Lenette Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:23am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Crimsicle! Anyone else??

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:29am
post #4 of 7

I think the silk depends on the quality. There are some beautiful silk flowers out there and they can make a lovely cake!! And many brides have a limited budget and these help them out.

Regarding the basketweave, if you divide your cake before you start and have equal number of divisions, you could most likely start anywhere as you should come out right at the end.

I am not sure what you mean about the frangipani flowers on top and the bow at the bottom!?! Try sketching on paper even if you can't draw well. It will give you an idea. Use colors too to give you a better visual!

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:50am
post #5 of 7

I typically start at a corner on a square with basket weave. It's kind of automatic for me. What type of basket weave do you use? (i..e. some people use the basket weave tip both vertically and horizontally. Some use a round tip vertically and then use the basket weave tip horizontally). If you are worried about your cake being "too busy" and you're alternating colors, you could try using a small round tip with the green vertical and the basket weave tip in white horizontal. Just an idea.

As for silk ribbon and flowers....I've used both many times. I really like using the silk ribbons (LOTS to choose from) but you always have to remember that when applying to BC, the ribbon will soak up the oil from the icing, thus turning it a darker shade of color. Also, be sure to use top of the line silk ribbon, not the cheap stuff. The color can bleed off onto your icing. (Not sure about fondant, I've not applied silk ribbon to fondant before).

As for silk flowers, I prefer to use icing flowers of some sort but "the right" silk flowers can be great to use depending on many things (style of cake, type of icing, purchasers choice, colors, etc...) I love the convenience of silk flowers when time is short. I have a few cakes in my album that have silk flowers and some that have BC or royal. Can you tell a difference??? One thing I do first though is wash them! Yes, they wash very easily and I've never had any of them change in any way. As long as they're top line, not "cheapies". I just fill the sink with luke warm water and dish soap, then drop them in and swish them around for a bit. Then I rinse under water and lay on a towel. I blot them with a second towel and then let air dry. I'll flip them over a few times while they dry to be sure there's no moisture left. They also wash up after use real well too, if you get to keep them after the cakes gone! Dawn liquid works especially well if the flowers were used on BC.

Hope that helps you somewhat! Don't forget to show us your cake!!!!
blessings,
elly

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:56am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

Thanks Crimsicle! Anyone else??

When i first started making cakes I did both. Now i only use the ribbons. I enjoy making the icing flowers, and because im doing this more as a self satisfaction thing than a business, i chose not to use silk flowers on my cakes, or fresh flowers. I just tell my customers straight out, and they usually will go for the hand made ones. Havent had a problem yet.
Nait

Lenette Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:31am
post #7 of 7

Wow! Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%