Butter Recipe Cake Mixes Dryer???

Decorating By flayvurdfun Updated 29 Apr 2005 , 8:40am by blessBeckysbaking

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:24am
post #1 of 18

Well after I did my mothers day cake contest cake, I made a butter recipe cake mix cake for hubby to take to work, I didnt do anything fancy so no I didnt take a picture, but I noticed the mix wasnt as shiny once mixed as the regular yellow, white etc cakes. I just talked with him and he said the cake is great but not as moist as all my others that I have made. I got to thinking that another cake I made for us a week ago was also butter recipe but this time chocolate....it too wasnt as moist... I got to thinking I may not make these anymore, though they may taste good, if they arent moisty then I dont want it. I have always been told how moist my cakes were...and I always buy regular mixes and I can remember every cake I have made for parties and people were this...so its my experience that the butter recipe ones arent as moist.. hoiw about you?

17 replies
blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 9:27am
post #2 of 18

I havent tried the butter one as I will add so much tto the reg. ones now after getting the cake mix Dr. book! maybe add a bit of sour cream along with your butter next time. every cake I've made with a dolop of sour cream be so moist. NO one has ever tasted the sour cream in it either.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 9:43am
post #3 of 18

Maybe you got a few mixes that weren't as fresh as usual, I wouldn't think having butter in them would make them drier. The sour cream is a good idea, I think that definitely adds to the moisture. Janice

flayvurdfun Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 9:49am
post #4 of 18

I know... I am puzzled icon_confused.gif: but what can I do? I always buy the regular ones... but these were given to me as the people moved... I am just glad it was for me/us and not for someone else...

JSartin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSartin Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 9:57am
post #5 of 18

I have had a recipe for 20 years that says use milk in the place of water in butter recipe cake mix. Give it a try, mine are always moist. JSartin

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 10:26am
post #6 of 18

I have found the same thing. I won't use butter anymore in my cakes. It also makes mine "crumblier" and for some reason, I always think they taste like burnt butter. Don't ask me why--I always use butter in everything else I bake--cookies--just not cakes.

I have also found that using buttermilk instead of water makes them more crumbly. So--I've been half & half - ing the buttermilk, water, because I like the flavor. Another bonus is that the acid in the buttermilk reacts with the leavening and makes the batter puffier--I don't have to use as much to fill up my pans.

Lisa

flayvurdfun Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 18

make sense llj... I have never used sour cream in cakes... will have to give it a try...
and dont you know it, I thought of the milk instead of water... and thought hmmm with butter would it work right...and since I had never done that I didnt do it this time..... icon_redface.gif wont hesitate next time though

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 18

Flayv- I say give it another try. I have made the bride's white cake out of the cake mix doctor book and that has butter in it, and it turns out moist all the time. I also use milk instead of water, and I swear that freezing cakes for at least overnight really helps the cake retain it's moisture.

flayvurdfun Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 18

ok, I will try!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 18

I agree mouse. I do it to all my occasionn cakes. People rave about how mosit!..... I just tried coffee creamer instead of water in my white cake... does it make it denser, drier, or mositer? It just seemed diffrent to me and I'm not sure what it was. What is adding creamer supposed to do to your cake?

flayvurdfun Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 18

supposedly just give a little extra taste! I havent tried that either but intend to the next time I make a french vanilla cake... and then add the same creamer!

cgcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreations Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 18

I always use the butter recipe cake mix. I have never had a problem with dryness. They even tend to come out more moist than my regular mixes. (These are box mixes). I do use half milk/half water, maybe that is the difference. Or the butter used, I use the soft in the tub. Cheap store brands on both. They are a bit crumblier, but I've never had to hard time. All of my friends and family prefer this way. To each his own I guess! Good luck next time!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcreations

Or the butter used, I use the soft in the tub. Cheap store brands on both. They are a bit crumblier, but I've never had to hard time. All of my friends and family prefer this way. To each his own I guess! Good luck next time!

I'm sure it has some impact that you are using "tub" butter because that has some water in it whereas stick butter doesn't. All I know is that after a public disaster at my nephew's birthday party--I'll never use butter again. Although no one said anything to me--when I tasted the cake I just about died!! My sister quietly mentioned to me that it wasn't up to my "usual par" and that was enough for me. I'll stick with what I know works for me. Who knows--it may even have something to do with the oven--the area where I live--etc., etc., etc.

Lisa

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 18

I almost always use the butter recipie mixes and even in reg mixes, I use butter. They always turn out great. I use milk instead of water too so this might help. I have even added the pudding mix too and they turn out sooooo good. I also found that the wal-mart brand mixes are too dry, no matter what you do to them. I'm with mOuse. Try it again, it can't hurt. icon_biggrin.gif

m0use Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:59pm
post #15 of 18

llj68- I know this may sound like a stupid or nosy question (and it's not meant to be offensive), but do you cut the butter into the dry ingredients (like when you make biscuits or pie crust) or do you melt the butter and then pour it into the cake mix?
I wonder if that would make a difference, because I melt the butter and like I said, my cakes are not dry.
m0use

m0use Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 18

llj68- I know this may sound like a stupid or nosy question (and it's not meant to be offensive), but do you cut the butter into the dry ingredients (like when you make biscuits or pie crust) or do you melt the butter and then pour it into the cake mix?
I wonder if that would make a difference, because I melt the butter and like I said, my cakes are not dry.
m0use

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 8:20pm
post #17 of 18

are you kidding? icon_surprised.gif that is my best and moistest cake i've ever made. all my customers who've had it say nothing but good things about it. i'm curious, what brand did you use??

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 8:40am
post #18 of 18

so buttermilk helps the cake rise more? 50/50 or 100%?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%