How To I Get My Cakes Not To Buldge With Filling

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 16 Apr 2007 , 1:37pm by sunflowerfreak

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 13

I did a cake this weekend and my filling was buldging. I put a double dam of icing and then filled the cake with chocolate ganache.

12 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 13

Single dam stiff bc icing then make sure not to overfill the filling. Go a bit below the level of the dam. Assemble the cake, crumb coat and then let it sit for about an 30 min-1 hour. This gives the cake time to settle and you an opportunity to see if you will have any problems spots!

hth!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 13

I always give the layer a really firm push to settle it into place, so that any of the icing dam that does smoosh out (that's the technical term!) is scraped away when I do my crumb coat.

sunflowerfreak Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 13

I am always afraid that I won't put enough filling in the cake. That's why I double the dam so I can get more filling in. I will try putting stiffer icing in and put less filling in. Maybe that will help. thanks

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 13

You could try letting your dam set a little to firm up before adding the filling and the top layer. I found putting it in the refrigerator for a little bit helps it to stiffen up.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 13

i make the dam using stiff icing about a quarter to half inch from the outer edge of the cake put on the top layer use a #10 tip to fill in any gaps and then put a pan the same size as the cake layer on top of the cake and put a couple of 1 lb boxes of confect sugar on top of that - all tips that i picked up here and it works like a charm

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 13

All of the above but also I find it helps to dig a small trench just inside where the dam will go. I put a thin icing layer then pipe the dam and fill. THe trench gives the filling a place to bulge to and the cake settles with no bulging.

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 13

Here's some info JanH gave me when I had the same question!!
Thread on leaky fillings and bulging layers:

http://cakecentral.com/c.....3481-.html

HTH

dodibug Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 1:47am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerfreak

I am always afraid that I won't put enough filling in the cake. That's why I double the dam so I can get more filling in. I will try putting stiffer icing in and put less filling in. Maybe that will help. thanks

I would think with doubling the dam you will actually get more problems since there would be alot more opportunity for leakage. And with that much filling you could compromise the stability of the cake, especially when making tiered cakes.

Here's what I do to have enough filling-try torting your cake layers. Then you will only need a thin layer of filling since you will end up with 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. Plus, it is so pretty when cut!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:06am
post #10 of 13

I've come to almost prefer torting my cakes lately. I use less filling and I do love how they look when cut. When I tort I don't have to dam to fill. I just put on a thinner layer of icing/filling add the next layer and press it down slightly to seat it then fill again etc. I also have started to spackle the sides and top, chill a few minutes then do a thin layer of icing and chill again before I actually ice the cake. It's more steps but I am so much happier with the result. I spend much less time fighting the crumbs this way. One day soon I'm going to make Toba's spackling paste using the crumbled dome of the cake. She says it's very flavorful and some people even think it's a nutty filling.

dodibug Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:21am
post #11 of 13

Ooooh! I completely forgot about the spackling stuff! I'll have to pull out my book and read that again!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:43am
post #12 of 13

For all my talk about Toba's book (The Well Decorated Cake) I have yet to get on the ball and order it. Someplace online I saw where I could order her cookie book too and it was a pretty good combo price. Yes, that spackling paste sounds very interesting. I do love the affect I get since I've added this step. Much nicer sides I think.

sunflowerfreak Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 13

Wow thanks for all of the tips. I definitely will use these tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%