Flakey Cake! How To Do This??

Business By step0nmi Updated 16 Apr 2007 , 1:29am by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 17

My stepmother asked if the next cake I made wasn't sooo....moist! She wanted it a little more crumbly! Wow! I was shocked icon_eek.gif I thought this was weird. I thought..."moist" was a good thing? Do I need to omit something, bake it longer, etc.?? I HAVE NO CLUE!

Thank you, Stephanie icon_smile.gif

16 replies
step0nmi Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 17

wow! I didn't know there was so much going on on CC today!

BUMP icon_lol.gif

sujeeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sujeeart Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 17

Too moist? I'm with you on thinking that's a weird request. maybe she wants more of a pound cake texture.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 17

Are you a scratch or mix baker?

step0nmi Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 17

I am a mix baker! And I never do anything Xtra to it! What could I do with that! That is what she was sayin'! I think it's odd!

dodibug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 17

Here's what I found going by the CMD book. I have made this cake several times per her recipe. Haven't monkied around with it too much yet.

Try using the cheapie box mix (I have used wal-mart brand white) without pudding in the mix, a stick of melted butter instead of oil, 3 whole eggs, 1 c milk, 2 tsp vanilla extract. This is her basic butter cake but you could use it as a jumping off point to make a drier cake. It's not as moist as a regular box mix but not what I would call dry either. Sounds more like what she's asking for.

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 17

Wow, that is one wierd request.

step0nmi Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 17

Oh! and she does like the flavors of the box mixes. She just says "how about it not be as moist! Like more crumbley!" I don't know. icon_razz.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 17

She could be used to the texture of a scratch cake? If you are used to a scratch cake mix cakes are VERY VERY moist. I know that's my feeling anyway. When I eat a mix cake it feels almost wet to me. I don't mind mix cakes, but I much prefer the texture of a scratch cake. That's just me.. I know people who prefer the texture of a mix cake. Do you add anything to your mixes? I know that doctored mixes can have a better texture than straight mixes.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 17

i don't htink it is weird - that's one of the things I DON'T like about cake mixes - they are just too wet-tasting to me

step0nmi Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 17

Well, I only use box mixes and I never add anything. I had never thought about it! I always like the flavor and the taste! And she always uses box mixes but, maybe a different kind?? I think that it might be cause I mostly leave mine in the fridge if I am doing it a day ahead. I think I might make the next one on that day but, have everything prepared!

Thanks for all the input! This is great help!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 17

I've found that Duncan Hines are much less moist than Betty Crocker or Pillsbury -- maybe she is using DH?

Personally...I find recipes that *I* like and that's what I make. If someone requests a cake or icing that's "less rich" or "less sweet" or .. whatever .. (never had anybody ask for "less moist" yet!) I just figure my cake is not the cake for them. If you are making your cakes for your stepmother for free...maybe she should just eat her cake and say thank you. icon_smile.gif

dodibug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:38pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I think that it might be cause I mostly leave mine in the fridge if I am doing it a day ahead. I think I might make the next one on that day but, have everything prepared!

Thanks for all the input! This is great help!

I don't think it woulde be refridgerating it. I find that it kind of dries my cakes out! But who knows! icon_razz.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 17

You could overbake the living crud out of it... that would dry it out reaaaaal nice! icon_wink.gif Just teasing! But seriously, try using a non-pudding in the mix brand, and prepare just like the box says. Should be less moist. icon_confused.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 12:41am
post #15 of 17

Actually I think Melvira is on to something, maybe try baking it about 5-10 minutes longer which would still give you the box taste but it would be drier, if you stick a toothpick in it and there's no crumb on it, then it should be dry enough.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 1:17am
post #16 of 17

One word----ew...........but to each his own I guess....let me know what you do to serve this customer....lol

step0nmi Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 1:29am
post #17 of 17

Yes, I think I am going to cook it a couple minuets longer. And by the way, if anyone is still paying attention, I have a new oven that is ELECTRIC! Is this going to effect my cooking??? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%