Anyone Else Notice Crisco..

Decorating By SweetConfectionsChef Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 5:31pm by dryerson

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:11pm
post #151 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

I haven't noticed a change in my frosting with the new Crisco, and that's the recipe I use except I use water instead of milk/cream - maybe that's the difference? I'd be curious to know if others that have not had a problem with the new Crisco use water or milk/cream.....

~Chelle

Unfortunately, I have tried it both ways, and got the same result....frosting that was way too soft and almost runny, and just about impossible to pipe with icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif The batch with water held up slightly longer, but after just a small amount of time started to become 'soupy'....looks different, spreads different.....

I'm going to the local Smart & Final today to pick up some of their brand since I have not had good results with most market house brands.....hope this works better....have a cake due Friday! icon_confused.gif

Shalan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalan Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:21pm
post #152 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eme

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

I haven't noticed a change in my frosting with the new Crisco, and that's the recipe I use except I use water instead of milk/cream - maybe that's the difference? I'd be curious to know if others that have not had a problem with the new Crisco use water or milk/cream.....

~Chelle

Unfortunately, I have tried it both ways, and got the same result....frosting that was way too soft and almost runny, and just about impossible to pipe with icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif The batch with water held up slightly longer, but after just a small amount of time started to become 'soupy'....looks different, spreads different.....

I'm going to the local Smart & Final today to pick up some of their brand since I have not had good results with most market house brands.....hope this works better....have a cake due Friday! icon_confused.gif

Well, there went my little balloon of hope! LOL Oh well, back to the brainstorming drawing board.
Just as a FYI to everyone, I picked up a can of the Food Lion Store Brand Shortening and gave it a whirl last night. The consistancy was great, no air bubbles, wasn't loose or runny, no specks of shortening when colored, however, the taste was very bland, no matter how much flavor you added to it. Also, I noticed that if you sealed it up in a airtight container and then went back and opened it later, it had a really strong "chemical" smell to it. Needless to say, I will not be using that to make my icing. They will think the cake is radioactive or something!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:25pm
post #153 of 479

I use milk....

cakejayhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakejayhawk Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:43pm
post #154 of 479

I too got on the Crisco site and told them about my troubles. I missed her call back to me icon_mad.gif . My e-mail bascially said I wanted two products, one with the transfat and the other with none. I want the right to choose which product I use for whatever project I have. Sure hope they can do something! I too encourage everyone to let them know how you feel. icon_sad.gif

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:49pm
post #155 of 479

For gateaux: Crisco changed its formula before it changed the label. The true "old formula" cans have the trans fat listed in the percentages on the back. The new formula in old-style label looks the same, but if you read the back label you'll see it's 0% transfat. Finally, they now have the new label which excitedly proclaims 0% Trans fat!! Woo-hoo!!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:19pm
post #156 of 479

Got my phone call from Crisco.

Basically I was told they 're no longer making the product with the transfat. The woman also told me that they have gotten lots of complaints but that she isn't sure that will be enough for them to start running the old product again. icon_cry.gif

She will pass along my complaint.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:27pm
post #157 of 479

I went and looked at the last can of Crisco I got awhile back. It says no trans fat. I did not notice any difference when I made some icing awhile back.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:42pm
post #158 of 479

Has anyone in Canada noticed the new Crisco formulation? I just bought a can of Crisco last week and it is chock full of trans fats! I wonder how long it will take us to get the new formulation. Maybe I'll become a mad woman and buy the stores out.... lol.... now just where to store them!! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Eme Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 6:37am
post #159 of 479

Well, I went to the local Smart & Final today and found that they had a whole shelf full of the 6# tubs in the old formula!! WooHoo.. Trans fats!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I bought 4 of them for now and will probably go back and buy more this weekend with my cake money icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Had to make frosting tonight, so did a little comparison of my own with the leftovers from the previous batch on Mon.....Here's my take on it:

The transfats (TF) give the frosting a much smoother texture, it doesn't look like its sweating, no appearance of separation, more delicate mouthfeel, looks the same after sitting for 30 minutes as it did fresh whipped, and I can already tell it will smooth beautifully on the cake with minimal effort.

Without TF the frosting looks and feels very gritty and has a sweaty shine to it, the taste when directly compared to the other is VERY noticable.....gives that coating taste/feeling that so many people talk about with Crisco. I have never had that taste before (or at least it didn't bother me) but now..YUCK! thumbsdown.gif When I put a spatula upright in the frosting to check for consistency, it starts to lean right away ... this is 'stiff - medium'. Just overall, it looks soupy and sloppy compared to the good stuff.

Okay, done with the science stuff detective.gif , I'll take my teacher hat off. icon_rolleyes.gif Now I know that many of us have already discovered there was a difference in the 2 formulas, but for me to see it up close and personal really put it in perspective. The differences are extremely obvious. I am totally convinced that this is the reason for my recent wedding cake disaster and the difficulty in piping my half & half recipe. Since we obviously will need to be able to work with this at some point, I have to ask those of you with no obvious problems.....What is your secret?? Are you doing something different?? Do you have a different recipe?? Do you put something in to stabilize your recipe usually?? What about the hi-ratio shortening? Does it have TF? Since it is formulated to suspend various molecules within the frosting anyway, do you think it will affect its use?

Okay, this is, like, really long icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gif But hopefully somebody has some suggestions.... Anyone?

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 6:50am
post #160 of 479

Note to self: Go to every quiet grocery store and buy them out of the "old crisco" and tell my Ma to "Buy them out" when she goes to the local bent and dent grocery store (if they get in a load of liquidated crisco)..

I honestly wondered what was going on with my icing this last go-around... It just didn't seem to stiffen up like I'm used to. Especially for working with fondant, my base just didn't harden enough.. Now I know why.. thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 6:53am
post #161 of 479

Well, I was browsing through this thread and thinking about how I had a problem in the middle of 3 cakes last weekend. I made 3 batches of icing and sent DH to the store for more shortening. It was in a blue can, so I didn't pay any attention. I made another batch, adding all the same ingredients, and it was super soft and grainy textured. I thought I had absent-mindedly added too much water or something. Next time around, I added a tablespoon less of water, and that seemed to help some.

After scrolling through the post, the new shortening is trans fat free! I guess adjusting the water might help some. I will definitely be aware of this next time I buy some.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 7:17am
post #162 of 479

I knew Crisco was going to do this but I hadn't thought much about it. The last time I purchased some I got 2 cans that looked normal and 2 that had the zero trans fat logo on the lid. I didn't think to look at the normal cans to see if they were also trans fat free. Anyway, I have been noticing that my icing was turning out much softer than normal, but I thought it was just because I was starting to wean in a little butter in my recipe rather than just straight shortening. Now I know to check my cans when I get home. I don't have a problem with "healthier" shortening, but we've got to be able to work with it. Thanks for all the tips posted, I was starting to get freaked out cause I have a very large order to do on Friday.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 7:21am
post #163 of 479

Have any of you considered switching to an all-butter buttercream? I make both a powdered sugar version and IMBC or SMBC. Yummy!

I know melting can be an issue in high humidity areas, so I'm not sure what you'd do about that since I haven't experienced it. However, most of the big name cake decorators use meringue or French buttercreams and since some of them are located in high-humidity areas, there must be a way to make them work!

It is more difficult to make perfect roses and such with an all-butter recipe, but it's possible (still getting there myself).

I'm not telling you to give up your fight to get your Crisco back--just saying there are other options.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:24am
post #164 of 479

I think most crusting BCs have a Crisco or shortening base.

You can't use the mats with IMBC or one that doesn't crust.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:19pm
post #165 of 479

I decorated two cakes yesterday adding the 2T cornstarch to each batch. I must say...it helped but it's not even close to the same consistency I had before the crisco change. I'm switching to generic - walmart brand had transfat yesterday - until I find a supplier for high ratio in this area. thumbsdown.gif

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:28pm
post #166 of 479

I think I'll try the high ratio. I just need to find a supplier.

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:59pm
post #167 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eme

..... I have to ask those of you with no obvious problems.....What is your secret?? Are you doing something different?? Do you have a different recipe?? Do you put something in to stabilize your recipe usually?? .... Anyone?

I'm not having a problem, but I've no idea what I'm doing different. I'm doing the same thing I've done for 25 years. Sugar, crisco, milk and vanilla. I add the milk "as needed" until I get the consistency I need.

I will offer that when I've seen folks post the recipes they use, that i'm sometimes amazed at how much butter/shortening is being used compared to what I use. Most of what I've seen has twice the butter/shortening in the recipe.

Not sure if this makes a diff, but I use about 1-1/3 cups of crisco to 2 lbs of sugar. I've seen recipes posted where folks are using 2 cups of shortening (or shortening/butter combo) to 1 lb of sugar.....Twice the fat in 1/2 the sugar.

However, if your recipe has been working for you and now it's not, then I'm not going to be much help.

(edited to correct a typo)

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:04pm
post #168 of 479

I'm sure you meant 2 lb. of sugar not shortening.

Diane

stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:07pm
post #169 of 479

This thread is so long and I don't know if I'm alone in this or not, but I have tried the Great Value shortening and it was waaaaaayyyy tooo soft! Even scooping it out of the tub I could tell it was a much different consistency than Crisco. I was able to make the frosting work, but I will never use it again. I have no idea what I'm going to do about the new Crisco, I had some of the old stuff. icon_sad.gif

lionladydi Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:07pm
post #170 of 479

Personally, I use 3/4C Crisco to 1# powdered sugar so that is little more than Indydebi and I add milk until it is the right consistency. I do not mix my liquid and shortening before adding the powdered sugar. I have not tried the new Crisco yet as I haven't had an order since I got my new can. I'm dreading trying it.

Diane

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:17pm
post #171 of 479

Well, I just attempted to finish a cake with it. I have made frosting for years, so I know it is not me. I went to fluff it up after being in the fridge, and it turned to BC soup!! It would not be so bad, but I had made an 8lb. batch. I guess I'll just use it for my writing and leaves. Off to the store to find some Trans Fat!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:19pm
post #172 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

I'm sure you meant 2 lb. of sugar not shortening.

Diane

YIKES!!!! you're right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll go in and edit to correct that! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Eme Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:34pm
post #173 of 479

Only problem with all butter anything is it gets rock hard if refridgerated and served cold...... I would prefer to only use my IMBC, but the bistro keeps the cake in the walk in and if it didn't have some shortening it would not be palatable to many people icon_sad.gif For any of my regular cakes, the heat here in the valley just melts it icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gif However, I'm thinking that the texture of the butter may be better than the sloppy soupiness and UNPREDICTABILITY of this new @#*%$# tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif .... icon_lol.gif Just another excuse to experiment. icon_smile.gif

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:47pm
post #174 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

I think most crusting BCs have a Crisco or shortening base.

You can't use the mats with IMBC or one that doesn't crust.

Crusting has more to do with the ratio of powdered sugar to fat than what type of fat you use. A powdered sugar buttercream made with all butter does crust.

Eme Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:14pm
post #175 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm not having a problem, but I've no idea what I'm doing different. I'm doing the same thing I've done for 25 years. Sugar, crisco, milk and vanilla. I add the milk "as needed" until I get the consistency I need.

I will offer that when I've seen folks post the recipes they use, that i'm sometimes amazed at how much butter/shortening is being used compared to what I use. Most of what I've seen has twice the butter/shortening in the recipe.

See, now to cut some of the sweetness, I have adjusted my recipe the opposite way.... a little less sugar with the regular amount of fats ..... I use 1 1/2 cups fats (butter/crisco) to about 1 1/2 ~ 1 3/4 lbs of sugar. I'm wondering what would happen if I didn't use any extra moisture?? If I left out the milk or water, maybe used some piping gel (or corn syrup) to adjust the smoothness of the frosting detective.gif Maybe this is the key, since hydrogenating the fats keeps them solid to a higher temp, then doesn't this no TF thing mean they will become liquid sooner??

Darn, guess I will have to play this weekend icon_wink.gif Unless someone has tried this already? indydebi...how much liquid do you think you add??

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 6:36pm
post #176 of 479

Eme, I use between 1/3 to 1/2 cup of milk. I have a bride coming over for a sampling tomorrow and I have to make a new batch, so I will actually measure what I'm doing. Your idea sounds interesting.....

Eme Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 7:29pm
post #177 of 479

indydebi - icon_cool.gif cool!! let us know!!

lionladydi Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 7:45pm
post #178 of 479

Indydebi, do you not use butter or almond extract in your icing?

Diane

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:03pm
post #179 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Indydebi, do you not use butter or almond extract in your icing?

Diane

nope! vanilla only and lots of it! I don't like the almond taste or even the creme bouquet taste in cakes. Pure vanilla is heaven to me!! I've had cakes in which I thought "this would be a great cake without that nasty nut taste in it!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

If a recipe calls for 1 tsp of vanilla, I usually put in 3 or 4 tsps!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:06pm
post #180 of 479

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems. My icing may be a little softer but it's smoothing great!

Keep in mind that if the state you live in bands trans fats - there's nothing Crisco can do about it or any other company. If they want to make a product it can't include the trans fat unfortunately - no matter how bad we want it.

Debbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%