Caramel Filling Disaster........

Decorating By curlybop Updated 19 Apr 2006 , 12:13am by Samsgranny

curlybop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curlybop Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 8

I made a cake today for SIL's birthday. It was chocolate fudge cake, and I read so many reviews for the caramel filling, and thought it would work great for this cake.

This afternoon, I checked the filling. Thought it thickened up a bit, so it should be OK. By this time, it had chilled for about 5 hours. Made the dam between the layers, just using icing through the coupler. Poured a bit of filling, not the entire thing, just a bit. Added the top layer, and you guessed it. The caramel filling ran out. I stuck it in the fridge, trying to help it set up more, and nothing helped. Tried to wipe away some of the dripping filling, and quickly frosted w/ chocolate frosting, then back in the fridge. While it was setting up, the filling still oozed out, over the outside frosting. thumbsdown.gif I spent so long making this thing totally homemade, now it's a disaster! Finally gave up, and decided to try again tomorrow, only with a different filling.

My point is this: If it looks too runny, don't chance it! Thicken it before putting on the cake.....or else!

Any suggestions for me in case I decide to try the filling again? (Won't be anytime soon though!)

7 replies
Right_in_the_muffins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Right_in_the_muffins Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know what recipie you used but if you are making caramel the hotter you get it when you are boiling/heating it the harder it will set when if cools.

Sharon1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharon1964 Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 8

Instead of giving up on the cake you made, did you try drizzling caramel all over it? Or down the sides to make it LOOK like that's what you meant to do?

Sharon

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 11:33am
post #4 of 8

I would have drizzled the caramel over the top of the cake. Maybe poked some holes in the top of the cake and drizzled the caramel in the holes so that the whole cake had some more caramel.

Good Luck the next time.... I hate when something like that happens.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 11:39am
post #5 of 8

You can add some caramel to regular BC icing, just enough to get that caramel taste and use that as your filling.

curlybop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curlybop Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks ladies......

I had followed a recipe posted here, with cream cheese, caramel ice cream topping, and conf. sugar.

I finally ended up taking the layers apart, removing some of the filling w/ a spoon, putting it back on, and putting a lot of choc. frosting on the sides, and kept it in the fridge to set. It helped some. Later I took some buttercream and made pastel swirls all around, and it hid most of the bad spots. This evening before the party, I'm drizzling more caramel on top.

Whew. Atleast I didn't rebake it. SIL will love it I'm sure, but after the disaster, I was ready to scream!

If I do it again, it will be buttercream w/ caramel topping mixed in.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 8

buttercream + caramel ..... thumbs_up.gif

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 12:13am
post #8 of 8

Sounds like a yummy cake anyway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%