New To All Of This Need The Basics

Decorating By jewels1881 Updated 14 Apr 2007 , 6:14pm by mizshelli

jewels1881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels1881 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 6:23am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me what to start out with as far as the basic supplies and such. Its overwhelming the amount of product available for cake decorating and I see so many things that I would love to buy but dont want to go nuts buying everything. SO if someone could let me know what are the best things to start out with (for practice and first cakes) as far as fondants, tips, pans, tools, colorings etc. Any help would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

7 replies
spoiledbyneil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoiledbyneil Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 6:51am
post #2 of 8

Yes, me too! I've done alot of research and there are so many things to buy. My biggest challenge was marshmellow fondant and it didnt hurt to bad, lol, but want to explore so many other things! Any help would be so appreciated!! So many of you have made the most beautiful cakes I've ever seen, and wish you would of made my wedding cake and anniversary cake, and birthday cake...etc!!

mschroder1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mschroder1 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 8:14am
post #3 of 8

I'm just starting too. For my first purchase I bought a Wilton starter kit, I believe it was a 25 piece set. I also bought 2 round pans, some dowels, a few extra tips and dusts. I guess it really depends with what you want to attempt. I'm very impatient and I wanted to attempt stuff way beyond my "level" LOL. But I would recommend a starter to kit for sure.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 8:25am
post #4 of 8

Wilton Starter kit is a "must have" item.

Round pans too. Oh! good books for inspiration.

doobsd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doobsd Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 11:42am
post #5 of 8

Get your basic primary colours I use americolour or wilton, some piping nozzles and bags ( i use disposable bags) pratice on your bench tops with your trimmings and writing, some basic utensils (really depends on what you are decorating with) and just sorta play it by ear really!! Good luck and remeber its supposed to be fun.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 8

wilton makes a prefilled caddy (carrying case) that has 100 some items in it.

Pricey BUT w/ 40% off coupon -- very much worth the price as it includes most everything needed to get started as far as tips, bags, spatula, etc.

then yes, pans- just avoid the 9" ones that come as a pair as the sides are slanted and not all that straight.

two 8" or two 10" are a good start.

and of course get Americolors -- from here on CC or else where -- they put the wilton colors to shame.

then -- well start building a pan collection. Most eventually ditch wilton and go w/ Magic Line pans as the ML pans have true straight sides w/ sharp square corners -- wilton's tend to be rounded.

if planning to sell cakes or run a business -- avoid licensed character pans (like mickey, pooh, etc.) as those can NOT be sold legally -- they're only for private home use.

some other nice to haves:

extra couplers to make switching tips easier

extra flower nails to use as heating cores (grease and put flat top down in large pans for more even baking)

bake even strips or towels just for same purpose (wet and wrap around pan to make edges cook slower and less crispy)

----

after that--- well -- send the family on vacation so you can bake undisturbed

(hmmm big DO NOT ENTER OR DISTURB sign for kitchen???)

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 8

Personally, starting out the 150piece Wilton caddy has been great! I learned quick that it pays to purchase about 12 couplers (3 cards of 4). Also, there are certain tips that you will find yourself using with multiple colors simultaneously....so those you'll want to purchase multiple tips to prevent having to constantly run to the sink and wash use!! For instance....I have four #1 tips, three #2's, three # 2010 (you get the point). I found that one out the hard way! HTH

Here is a link to a thread I posted not long ago that some might find helpful:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=216031&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 8

The bake strips are a must have if you don't want domes on your cakes. The only problem I have with them is I can't use them on my 13x9 pan cuz it has slanted sides, and my nonstick pans don't keep the strips on the sides too good. Otherwise they are a good investment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%