Greasy Stains On Cookies

Baking By Val40 Updated 16 Apr 2006 , 4:49pm by antonia74

Val40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Val40 Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hi ladies,

I just made cookies for the first time and iced them. They taste great and even though they were not picture-perfect they were a hit at the babyshower today....
But, there seemed to be a yellow-ish/greasy glow or stain on them that made them look a bit yucky.
I don't know what it is and how to prevent it. Could it be that I stored them overnight on top of each other?
I hope you can give me advice.
Greetings from your fellow-baker from Holland,
Val

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 4

It was most likely storing them stacked. The fats will leach out of the cookie. You can prevent it by using waxed paper, or plastic wrap between layers.

marmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmar Posted 16 Apr 2006 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 4

I also read on another post that it could be from not beating your butter and sugar long enough. The way I understood it was to beat those two ingredients for a long time, but don't over beat when you add the eggs, just enough to incorporate everything. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, I think, if you're covering them in icing. Even if it doesn't matter, though, it really bugs me when something goes wrong - I'm determined to figure it out, even if I'm the only one who notices (this comes from being a fanatic Nancy Drew fan when I was little!) I can agonize over a smudge in the icing - Crazy and just a little obsessive compulsive about certain things! Learning to "LET IT GO" a little at a time.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Apr 2006 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 4

yes, this happens when you stack them touching. The butter from the upper cookie stains the icing of the one below it. You must put parchment or wax paper between each layer of cookies and only pack them up when they are 100% dry, or the icing will also get dented.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%