Mmf, How Long To Keep?

Baking By eekala Updated 20 Apr 2006 , 10:42pm by pinkopossum

eekala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eekala Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make MMF for a cake I am making for my brothers birthday. I'm only using it for some accents (cake will be iced with buttercream) so I know I won't need all of it. How long will it keep? Will it still be good to use next month or should I just try and make a half batch?

9 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 10

I would recommend that half batch.

ariun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ariun Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 10

I've kept mmf for slightly over 3 months in a cool dark place, with no problems. Nothing a little zap in the microwave couldn't solve, anyway.

clb307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clb307 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 10

I've kept MMF in the freezer for 3-4 months and it was still good. Just let it thaw and then microwave it for a couple of seconds to get it soft again.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 10

I've got some I've had in sealed bags for over two months now. I like keeping bits of colored leftovers around to use for this and that. It's come in handy many times. Sometimes I have to pinch off little crusty patches, but in general, it's fine. There's nothing in it that will spoil. You just have to fight dryness. I routinely have to microwave it, and I usually knead some Crisco into it. But, I tend to use lots of Crisco anyway.

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 10

I made some the other day then was unable to use it. I am glad to aee this ? since I was wondering the same thing. I have a food sealer. If I put it in a bag and sucked all the iar out of it do you think I would still have problem wiht it getting dried out?

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 10

so you can freeze MMF - I figured it wouldn't be pliable anymore, but I guess that's why you heat it in the microwave. icon_lol.gif

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 10

it would be fine...just keep it tightly sealed in a dark place

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 10

my dog is hypothyroid and takes pills twice a day. Since he LOVES MMF I just stick the pill in a small ball of it. I have kept scraps of MMF forever. Granted it is for the dog, but.....I still pinch a bite off for myself every once in a while. The stuff last a long time if well wrapped.

ps.. The dogs hypothyroidism is under control, now I worry about diabetes. LOL LOL

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

my dog is hypothyroid and takes pills twice a day. Since he LOVES MMF I just stick the pill in a small ball of it. I have kept scraps of MMF forever. Granted it is for the dog, but.....I still pinch a bite off for myself every once in a while. The stuff last a long time if well wrapped.

ps.. The dogs hypothyroidism is under control, now I worry about diabetes. LOL LOL

LOL - another great use for MMF icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%