Covering The 3D Sports Ball In Fondant!?!?!

Decorating By LvMy4Runner Updated 15 Apr 2007 , 11:31pm by klg1152

LvMy4Runner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LvMy4Runner Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 11:59am
post #1 of 5

Hello All! My cry for help here icon_smile.gif I was attempting to cover the 3D Sports Ball in Fondant last night and it almost got thrown out the window! LOL I'm just looking for any tips and tricks to get this done.

The biggest problem I have is with the wrinkles going around. If they were just in one spot I could deal with that, because I could hide those w/ the pins I'm making. OK I'm just blabbing on now... I'm sure you all know what is happening icon_smile.gif

I'm attempting to make a bowling ball... so I thought fondant would be good... nice and smooth. I am using MMF if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

4 replies
kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 5

I've done it a couple of times, and both times I've used a thin buttercream layer, than a thin fondant underlayer. The underlayer usually looks like crap. Then, I use a bit thicker fondant layer for the outside. Both times, I've gotten some of those little fold marks down on the underside of the ball, but stuff that was easily covered up. Otherwise, it looked really good. You can look on my website at my teapots, they were both done with the ball pan. The MACS one is hard to see, because I covered it in sugar blobs, but you can see the shape on the other one.

Good luck!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 5

What seems to work for me is to go really slow and let the fondant stretch little by little. I actually managed to cover a couple heads recently with no pleats. I also use a piece of fondant that is quite a bit bigger than what I need.

But, if pleats are inevitable you can encourage the pleats to collect in one or two spots and then cut off the excess and smooth the seam.

I know how it feels to want to throw a cake out the window!! LOL Good luck!

Courtney

LvMy4Runner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LvMy4Runner Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 5

Well I started over on the bowling ball and it turned out much better!!! Pic is in my gallery.... Thanks all!

I rolled out the fondant a bit thicker so I had more room for some give / stretch. Last time I was also worried about covering the entire ball vs. leaving a small flat spot on the bottom for it to sit well on the cake which helped as well.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 5

it also helps to place the ball on top of a narrow cup or glass - the fondant will hang and it will be easier to smooth - that's how i did the bowling ball in my gallery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%