How Do I Move The Cake From The Turntable After It Is Iced..

Decorating By nickied527 Updated 13 Apr 2006 , 6:35am by tobycat

nickied527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickied527 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 16

I don't know how to move the cake from the turntable to the cakeboard. I noticed on here, everyone's cake boards are super clean and pretty so I assume you don't frost your cakes on the cakeboard that you will be using for the party. HOW DO YOU DO IT??? I don't want to mess upo everything and break the cake moving it!?

THANKS! from a newbie.

15 replies
dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 16

i actually do frost mine on the cake board, it doesnt get very messy, usually there is a little frosting on the cake board after im done frosting the whole cake, but my bottom border usualy covers that up.

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 16

Hi: I put my cakes on a cake board wrapped with alumium (sp) foil and then wax paper under the cake to catch the spills. Vicki0052.

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 16

I would ice on the cake board. The one trick I learned was to put strips of wax paper under the cake, so they stick out about an inch. That way, if I am sloppy, the icing just gets on the wax paper. Then after it is all iced, pull the strips away and touch up any icing that might smudge when you move the strips.
Maybe the others have suggestions....

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 16

You can just scrape and wipe your board clean after you ice the cake.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 16

I ice my cakes on the cake board. I do get a little bit of icing on the board, but usually not so much that it can't be covered up with the bottom border. If you use a board covering that is impervious to grease, then usually it can be wiped with a damp paper towel, if you get it too messy.

Then, there's that old homemaker's trick of slipping strips of waxed paper beneath the edge of the cake and pulling them away when the frosting has been finished.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 16

I put the cake on a cake board that is the same size so if it's an 8 in cake then I place it on an 8 in cake board which I then set on my turntable to frost. I then place it on a piece of particle board that I had pre-cut and covered with foil and contact paper. Usually that is 2 in bigger than the cake and once on there I then add my boarder.

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 16

If you cover your cake board with contact paper, you can ice it right on the cake board and then just wipe up the mess. It comes right off with a paper towel.

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 16

I use strips of wax paper under the cake until ready for the bottom border. when i am ready for the bottom border, i gently remove the strips. this keeps the mess to a minimum on the board.

prettytoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettytoya Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 16

Hello-and welcome! I decorate on the board. However before piping my bottom border (I usually do this last) I take a couple of damp paper towels and wipe it clean. It takes a minute but it's worth doing for the clean look. Be careful not to touch the cake! Hope this helps!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 16

I also frost right on the cake board.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 16

I ice mine on the board if at all possible, and just wipe away any icing that goes elsewhere...a wet cloth usually does the trick.

When icing on the turntable, just make sure your board is the exact same size as your cake and I have actually scooted the board over to the edge and then picked it up like that.

Good luck!!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 16

I ice my cake right on the board making sure to wipe up any spills with a damp paper towel afterwards. I wouldn't suggest moving an iced cake. Best of luck!

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 16

What I found is helpful when working on a board that is the same size as the cake is to slide a spatula underneath (like a large Wilton frosting spatula) and lift it up enough to where you can slide you hand underneath, then you can pick it up and move it wherever you need to. I usually put the same size board on a larger board to decorate anyway - but once it comes time to move it - I do it with a spatula rather than trying to pry it up with my fingers.

But I love the contact paper idea - once again, the brilliance of people on this website amazes me! I never would have thought of that! Now I can cover a few different sizes of boards with it and just use those to decorate on in the future when the cake is on a same size board. Bravo!

Rosalinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosalinda Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 2:28am
post #15 of 16

I put strips of wax paper around the edge, wait for my icing to set, and remove the paper. Then I slide my large angled spatula under the cake and either lift it up and get my hands under it, or slide it to the edge and pick it up. Try it, it is easy!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 6:35am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghanb

I would ice on the cake board. The one trick I learned was to put strips of wax paper under the cake, so they stick out about an inch. That way, if I am sloppy, the icing just gets on the wax paper. Then after it is all iced, pull the strips away and touch up any icing that might smudge when you move the strips.
Maybe the others have suggestions....

Great idea! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%