So Confused! Please Help!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 6:05pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 8

Does everyone go by the Wilton servings and cutting guide?? I don't get why you would tell people to cut a circle in their cake?? People don't do that in my neck of the woods! We cut in wedges like a pie. Should I be going by that for pricing? Then, where would I find a chart?

Thank you!! Stephanie icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
imtrying Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imtrying Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 8

I haven't done a whole lot of cakes for anyone outside my family and at my house, we tend to cut like a pie as well (at least on the 8 inch rounds we do). I think a lot of people do go by the Wilton servings and I know in my yearbook is where there is a chart for the number of servings for the different sizes. Wish I could be more help.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 8

BECAUSE A SERVING OF A WEDDING CAKE IS ONLY 2 INCHES BY 2 INCHES. HERE WE CUT LARGER PIECES (BUT NOT WEDGES) IF YOU CHARGE BY THE SLICE TAKE THAT INTO ACCOUNT

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 8

If you're cutting wedding tiers into pie shaped slices....you're gonna' have some monster slices!!! icon_eek.gif

I use the Wilton serving chart, but I know others like the chart by Earlene. Not sure if her website is earlenes.com or earlenescakes.com...maybe someone else can offer help there.

Cutting "bullseye" circles in your round tiers is the most effective way of getting as many slices as possible out of your cake.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 8

When you have a large cake, you have to use a circle or cut square across or it will not work. I always serve my cakes by cutting verticle lines into the cake and then cutting across the cake, continuing across the cake.

Does that make sense? Anything bigger than a 8 or 9 inch, the wedge would be really long. Allot depends on the serving size you prefer. But I do tend to go by the Wilton charts.

HTH Stephanie

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 8

The other thing that I have noticed is that with a 4 inch high cake a wedge is going to fall apart in the middle.

step0nmi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 8

Well, I was just meaning for like a party cake, 2 layers. I was looking at the chart and was like: What! We don't cut like that for those! Now if it was a tier cake, yes, I would go by that.

Are there any charts or threads for the norm on what I am talking about?? Thanks for the help!

step0nmi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 8

It was earlenescakes.com
Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%