Cheaper Substitutes For Supplies?

Decorating By rocketgirl96 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 1:37am by PJ37

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 191

Hi everyone,
I thought I'd start a thread about what different things people might use for cake supplies that is cheaper than buying that actual supply in the store. I just started cake decorating and I'm only doing it as a hobby and since I already have one expensive hobby (rubber stamping), I can't afford to spend too much on cake decorating supplies.
So, I'll start the list (I only know of a couple) and maybe all you knowledgeable CC'ers will post some more..

Using Corn Syrup instead of Glucose (thanks, lables12)
Using empty paper towel rolls cut in half lengthwise instead of flower formers

What other stuff is out there that can be used as supply substitutes?

Thanks,
Christine

190 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 191

heres my favorite, using a flower nail instead of a heating core. i use it now on most of my cakes, even the smaller ones cause i think they bake more evenly that way. especially chocolate cakes, which i always had trouble with before.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 191

Making your own fondant like MMF, instead of buying it in the store!

Shaping your own cakes instead of buying every shaped cake pan!

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 191

Wooden skewers or chopsticks for dowels. Or buying the long dowel in the wood craft section for 39 cents and cutting it down.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 191

using a clear vinyl shower curtain for a fondant rolling mat instead of those expensive silpats. Buying the three foot long dowels instead of the prepackaged ones. You still have to cut em anyway. Why not buy one dowel that costs maybe 50 cents instead of buying the bag of wiltons dowels that cost over 3 bucks.

p.s. if you wrap them puppies in tinfoil then you can reuse themicon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 191

wow thanks for sharing

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 191

Using straws instead of wooden dowels.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 191

Using new clean playdoh extruder instead of clay gun......roll your own pearls from fondant instead of buying.....

rocketgirl96 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

You are very talented Renaejrk! icon_smile.gif

rocketgirl96 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

p.s. if you wrap them puppies in tinfoil then you can reuse themicon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Wow! That is so smart chaptlps! I would never have thought of that. Thanks for sharing.

beccakelly Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Using new clean playdoh extruder instead of clay gun......roll your own pearls from fondant instead of buying.....

where can you get a playdoh extruder? toy store? sorry i don't have kids, those kinda things are unfamiliar to me! lol.

tone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tone Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 191

Using a scraper to smooth icing

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 191

using icing plugs, helps in clean up and keeps your disposable icing bags clean so you can re-use several times. Also makes it easy to save left over icing for re-use you just tie off end and pop in zip lock bag and freeze. Newlywed should how on this thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38404.html

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 191

O yeah speaking of scrapers, Using a 12" drywall knife for those large cakes. Or even cheaper are those little paintshield thingees the have a nice straight edge and are either plastic or metal.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #15 of 191

i bought pvc pipe to use as a roller instead of the ones they sell in the store for $19.99 i only spent $2.85 and it works great!!!

Renaejrk Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketgirl96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

You are very talented Renaejrk! icon_smile.gif

Thanks - but not really! I haven't attempted major 3-d as I'm not much of a sculptor, but I have "sculpted" 2-d and small 3-d (ninja turtle faces). Anything to save $$$ - especially when you don't have it!

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:50pm
post #17 of 191

I buy generic canned frosting 2 for a $1.00 at a dollar store. I thin it out and use it for practice instead of wasting real frosting. It works well, and tastes terrible-so I'm not tempted to keep 'tasting' it.

I also buy small version barbies 3 for $1.00 and use various body parts for mini doll cakes and anything else I can think of.

rocketgirl96 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 12:52am
post #18 of 191

Wow! Thanks for posting all these great tips. This is awesome. Any others out there?

Christine

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:52am
post #19 of 191

I cover my boards with plastic tablecloths from the $1 store, they come in many colors and I try to coordinate with my cake, also one tablecloth will cover many boards.

I've also bought boards in the scrap wood section of Home Depot. I've purchased large boards that clipboards are made out of for $1, and they will even cut them for free.

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:10pm
post #20 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

heres my favorite, using a flower nail instead of a heating core. i use it now on most of my cakes, even the smaller ones cause i think they bake more evenly that way. especially chocolate cakes, which i always had trouble with before.

Could you explain this in a little more detail icon_redface.gif

I'm curious about this one. icon_smile.gif

beccakelly Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 191

instead of buying a heating core (about 7-8 dollars) just use a 1$ flower nail. cover it in cake release, and place it upside down in your cake pan. pour in the batter around it, and bake. when you flip your cake out of the pan you can just pull the flower nail right out. the metal acts as a heat conductor so that your cakes bake more evenly. i use two on 12-14 inch cakes, and i would prolly use 3 on anything larger than that. hope that helps!

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:03pm
post #22 of 191

If you are using a flower nail as a heating core don't forget what beccakelly said about covering it in cake release (or spray it well with nonstick spray at least)! The first time I tried this trick I forgot and it was a monster to clean the nail afterwards. The cake baked great though! thumbs_up.gif

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:03pm
post #23 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vww104

I cover my boards with plastic tablecloths from the $1 store, they come in many colors and I try to coordinate with my cake, also one tablecloth will cover many boards.

I've also bought boards in the scrap wood section of Home Depot. I've purchased large boards that clipboards are made out of for $1, and they will even cut them for free.

Good one on the tablecloth idea... Will have to try that.. WOW! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Renaejrk Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:13pm
post #24 of 191

Never thought about using tablecloth!! That's a great one!

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:27pm
post #25 of 191

Ok, so I don't have any great ideas...I guess I'm a huge sucker for buying the expensive cake stuff!! But I am LOVING this thread!!! And I'm am way inspired to use my imagination rather than my wallet!! My husband thanks you!! thumbs_up.gif

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:10pm
post #26 of 191

I love these tips on saving money and being resourceful . . . I haven't ever used a heating core before (no cake that large yet) but I was wondering - - - could you use a tomato sauce can with both ends cut out? Would that work? I have baked in tuna or canned chicken cans before, I did individual cakes for bridal showers and anniversary parties. They came out terrific, used ribbons around them with royal icing flowers.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:28pm
post #27 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

where can you get a playdoh extruder? toy store? sorry i don't have kids, those kinda things are unfamiliar to me! lol.

I do believe they are talking about the playdough fun factory, you can find it at target or walmart or any toy store. Good Luck and have fun

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:40pm
post #28 of 191

Love this thread!

Aunksunamun13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aunksunamun13 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:43pm
post #29 of 191

Im lovin this thread too !!!

I think the tuna can is a great idea....im going to have to try that one for the ppl at work (my testers) !!!

rocketgirl96 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:11pm
post #30 of 191

Wow! I'm so glad that people are finding this thread helpful. When I started I wasn't sure how many replies I would get. This is terrific. I love the tuna/tomato can idea. I don't have any little individual baking pans but I love how the bakers/chefs on TV are always making little individual portions. This is a great idea if you don't have those little pans.

I don't know how it would work as a heating core. I think it would work quite well except the hole might be bigger but you can always cover that with icing. icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Christine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%