Whatever Happened To "the Customer Is Always Right"

Decorating By cakeatopia Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm by Janette

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 13

I go there--2nd day--like I really needed more--lol. Theother day--no problem with the coupon.

Today, I get to the register and say, "Oh I have my wonderful wilton coupon and all this is Wilton". She rings me up and says some number and I say, "I don't think that is right". She gets all huffy and puffy. I tell her, you have the coupon. She gets the manager and they void it. Then she re rerings it and it and the number is STILL off in my head. I said, "Are you sure, all that is Wilton". She then preoceeds to get even more huffier and says it is only 1 item. I show her where it specifically says "No Limit".

Another overring. I have 3 kiddos under 5ys and trying to keep them happy and I was ready to shove her out of the way and ring it up myself.

She was sooo rude. She is NOT new--been there at least 4 years.

Wonder what will happen if Wilton has a 50%off coupon!!!

grrllllllllll

12 replies
rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 13

I try to be patient with people who work in places like that because they're not getting paid that much, they're not trained well enough for the job (and why would they want to given the pay they get?).

I know it's annoying when they don't know simple stuff like that, but at least you got your discounts, right?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:13am
post #3 of 13

I worked at JoAnn's for 30 days. That's all I could take. I didn't get enough training, was left to just twiddle my thumbs most days without anyone telling me what my job should be (I was shuttled from my main department all over the store without training), was put on the register without as much as a mini lesson that I had to do myself with a booklet, and had to call every morning to see if I was on the schedule for that day because the 3 store managers could never figure out when I was supposed to work, among other problems, and it was only one month! It was a disaster.

I try and be patient as well because I know they are not trained well enough, but getting huffy and puffy and rude is not acceptable for someone in a customer service position, no matter how little training you have. Get someone else to help you, apologize to your customer, and figure it out for them.

Did you ever get your discount?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:31am
post #4 of 13

I'm sorry that happened to you. Last night (1st Wilton Class for me to teach) I get to my store and ask the cashier about something and she said "I don't really know HOW to ring these people up, do you?" She was really nice, not rude, just untrained. I told her I didn't know how, BUT, that we would work together and figure it out. So then I go talk to the asst. mgr. (mgr. is out of town for the day) and she said the mgr. had chosen to teach the cashiers about the sign up book on an "as needed" basis. I told her "TONIGHT it is needed!" I just hope I get my paycheck at the end of the month! At this rate, who knows? LOL

They were all really nice, but, it is frustrating when NO ONE seems to know what is going on at any given time. Maybe the moon is full?

Beth

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:55am
post #5 of 13

I hate that too. I say "if you are going to do it do it well." They know the pay going into the job and have agreed to do it for that amount. It doesn't take training to be nice. IMO.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:14am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsaxe

I try to be patient with people who work in places like that because they're not getting paid that much, they're not trained well enough for the job (and why would they want to given the pay they get

I worked a private upscale toy store for nine years. I was paid under $10.00 a hour......I was always nice and went above and beyond. You can train people til the cows come home. Some people were not made for retail. Customer service is not something you can train into a person. It is common sense and most people do not have common sense!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:50am
post #7 of 13

Not every employee is going to be familiar with every aspect of every coupon. I don't take it personally or get impatient. We have issues with coupons for classes all the time at the Michael's where I teach. Guess what? Even the cashier can have a bad day.

Hope you got your discount.

Angie

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

....... Last night (1st Wilton Class for me to teach) I get to my store and .......

Beth

Beth,

Can I ask which store and location you teach at? I am going to KY to visity my best friend in June and if you're still working there would love to meet a fellow CCer!

~Chelle

STX44703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STX44703 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 13

Ohhhhh I had the same problem yesterday!! I went there all happy because I had a 40% off ALL Wilton coupon. The cashier sat there an argued with me that it was only 1 item!! I pointed out that it said "NO LIMIT" she still wouldn't believe me!! She finally called a manager over and I had to point it out to him that it was NO LIMIT!

Soooo annoying..but I got my discount icon_smile.gif and that is what counts!

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 11:58am
post #10 of 13

I agree with the previous poster that you have to be cut out for customer service. There was a girl I used to work with at a famous shoe store for a few years in early college. She thought she was the cat's meow but b/c I was there longer than she was she tried to suck up to me. I then left for greener pastures for a while and came back just for spending money and the fact I didn't really mind doing it. She then was a manager in training and almost insisted I suck up to her and let her get away with unsafe practices and such. I remember one night telling her that I couldn't stand her and that I was in no means after her future mgr job b/c I wasn't doing it for the money!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 12:12pm
post #11 of 13

Did you tell her to take her shoes off and try again? She obviously ran out of digits.

I worked in retail management for many years, and had my share of employees who should have worn sandals to work in winter.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LizzyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyB Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 13

Wow, you guys have experienced a lot of bad customer service! I don't believe that the customer is always right, but I do believe that the customer is a VIP and should be always be dealt with as such. Seems that common sense and common courtesy aren't so common these days! Maybe they should be renamed rare sense and rare courtesy icon_lol.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #13 of 13

When I have sales people like that I bring out the gooey nice me.

"I'm sure you have had a long day and will be happy to go home and relax. With all the different coupons it must be so hard to keep them straight. yadda, yadda yadda."

You would be so suprised how quick they change. And, you will feel good knowing you may have put them in a better mood.

Working for the public is a pain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%