Whats Your Favorite Recipe? Swap

Baking By Chef_Mommy Updated 30 Apr 2006 , 11:42pm by Jenn123

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 26

Hi, I was thinking it would be nice if everyone would post at least one of their favorite recipes (cake, filling, Frosting, cookies, candy etc) that have been tried and is successful, we could build up a very nice recipe collection for ourselves without haing to experiment and figure it out on our own.

I thought of this because I have a really large stack of recipes that I want to try but I don't want to experiment with. I hate not knowing if its going to work or not and wasting money on ingredients that if therecipe doesn't work then there goes my time and money. I just want to know that the recipe is good and that it works so I can add it to my personal recipe book. I would like to have a little bit of everything having to do with baking in there so any recipe is welcome. It can be from scratch or from a mix as long as you know it works and it is good.

I'll start:

Here is the cake recipe I use and everyone raves about.. They tell me how moist the cake is and all I get are compliments about it.

1 Duncan Hines Devils food cake mix
4 large eggs
1pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
1-1/4c Milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2Tbls sourcream
1 teas vanilla
1teas butter extract

Mix all ingredients as you would a regular box cake and bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Thanks
Jackie

25 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 26

most of the tried and true recipes are already posted in the recipe section.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:21am
post #3 of 26

I'm sure that there are many good recipes posted, but that doesn't mean we can't share our favorite. Besides, quite honestly, they are not all good. I think this is a great idea. I wish I had a recipe that I swore by to contribute. I'm not sure if I'm just sick of tasting white cake from all the attempts, but I wish I could find "the one" if it exists.

Angie

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:28am
post #4 of 26

My all time favourite cake that I make is not mine but was given to me by Nati.... CARAMEL MUD CAKE..... not sure if its posted on the site... I know her caramel mudcake cupcakes are and so is the dark chocolate mud cakes and they are also divine...

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:40am
post #5 of 26

This one I got six years ago from my decorating instructor Amy Malone in La Mesa, Ca.

Mrs. Saul's Chocolate Cake

2 C flour
2 C sugar
2 sticks butter
4 T cocoa (mix with cinnamon)
1 C water
1/2 C buttermilk
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 t. vanilla

Sift flour; mix in bowl with sugar. In medium saucepan, boil butter, cocoa, and water. Pour hot mixture over flour and sugar mixture; mix well with large spoon. Add buttermilk, cinnamon, soda, eggs, and vanilla; mix well. Pour batter into greased and floured 8x12 pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Do not underbake!

This cake is light and airy. It is great with raspberry filling!!!! It's one of my most requested chocolate cakes!!! It's also great with a milk chocolate ganache filling. It tastes like a big s'more if you cover it with MMF!!!!!

Enjoy,

Amy

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:47am
post #6 of 26

1 box of DH french vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup whole milk
8 tbs of butter (melted)
1/2 tsp cherry extract (you can add up to 1 tsp depending on your taste)
1 tsp almond extract

Combine ingredients and mix on low for 1 min. Increase speed to medium for 2 min. Bake at 350 for about 27-29 min. (9 in. round)

I made this for my mom's birthday last weekend and my SIL who is from Slovakia said that this was the best american cake she's had. icon_biggrin.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:49am
post #7 of 26

Ooooooh!!! icon_razz.gif That sounds yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just might have to make some cupcakes with that recipe. It sounds like a great cupcake recipe maybe with a cream cheese frosting!!!!! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Amy

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:58am
post #8 of 26

Don't know if this one qualifies, but I have made so many of these lately I am just about sick of them. They are sooooo delish, so here it isicon_smile.gif

Chewy Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies thumbs_up.gif

3 1/4 cups plain flour
1 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup butter (softened to room temp)
1 tablespoon vanilla 2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips

Sift plain flour and cake flour, baking powder and soda set aside.
Blend in mixer sugars and butter until creamy (about 2 minutes), add vanilla and eggs (one at a time). Add flour mixture and blend again for about 2 minutes or until well blended. Mix in chocolate chips with wooden spoon. Use a cookie scoop(I used a large scoop) or drop with a spoon on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 14 minutes,just until brown around edges, DO NOT OVERBAKE.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:50am
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

This one I got six years ago from my decorating instructor Amy Malone in La Mesa, Ca.

2 C flour
2 C sugar
2 sticks butter
1 C water
1/2 C buttermilk
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 t. vanilla

Sift flour; mix in bowl with sugar. In medium saucepan, boil butter, cocoa, and water. Pour hot mixture over flour and sugar mixture; mix well with large spoon. Add buttermilk, cinnamon, soda, eggs, and vanilla; mix well. Pour batter into greased and floured 8x12 pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Do not underbake!

This cake is light and airy. It is great with raspberry filling!!!! It's one of my most requested chocolate cakes!!! It's also great with a milk chocolate ganache filling. It tastes like a big s'more if you cover it with MMF!!!!!

Enjoy,

Amy

Cakemommy
The recipe sounds devine!! I'd love to try it, now is 2 sticks of butter around 1 pound?? In Australia butter comes in @1/2 pound and @1 pound packets, we dont get sticks.
cheers
Nati

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 10:16am
post #10 of 26

Nati, I beleive that would be 1/2 poundicon_smile.gif

lakecountrymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakecountrymommy Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 26

Nati:
1 stick of butter is 8Tbsp.
1 stick = 1/4 pound.

So her recipe needs 1/2 pound

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountrymommy

Nati:
1 stick of butter is 8Tbsp.
1 stick = 1/4 pound.

So her recipe needs 1/2 pound

Thanks ladies
Im going to have to try this cake, sounds wonderful : )

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

2 C flour
2 C sugar
2 sticks butter
1 C water
1/2 C buttermilk
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 t. vanilla

Enjoy,

Amy

Hi cakemommy,
Got 2 questions....which is the cocoa you add? I was thinking of using the Hershey's unsweetened? Also, would this be enough for a regular 8 x 3 pan?

Thanks for sharing this recipe, it sounds delicious!

Naty

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 26

my favorite cheesecake recipe: I made this up one day when I was dying for some cheesecake and didn't wanna spend 10 bucks for a 4 inch one at the store LOL It's incredibly simple and bakes up perfectly every time with no cracks in the top or anything.

2 8oz. packages of cream cheese (room temp.)
2 lg. eggs (room temp.)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

Pour into graham cracker crust, bake @ 350 for 40 min. cool, refrigerate at least 3 hrs. before serving!!!

edited to say: This recipe fills a standard store bought graham cracker crust perfectly, If you want to make your own say with a deeper pan, this recipe can be doubled and even tripled with great success.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 26

I wanted to also share mine.........

BUTTER PECAN FROSTING
2 tbs. unsalted butter, softened
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 box (16oz) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a skillet, add pecans and cook over med. heat 10 minutes stirring constantly until pecans are toasted. Set aside and let cool completely.

In bowl cream 1/2 cup butter till creamy, add cream cheeses, continue beating. Add sifted sugar. Fold in cooled pecans and add vanilla extract.

Note: This recipe is for 9-inch cake layers. I had leftover frosting because my cake was 8-inches.

PD. I have also grounded the toasted almonds then added it to the frosting. It is perfect for icing and piping on the cake this way.

Butter Pecan Frosting Recipe from: Christmas with Southern Living, 1996

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great American Cakes
by Barbara Kafka
Gourmet December 1987

Yellow Cake Layers

Makes two 8-inch layers

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter, add sugar gradually, beating, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, add the vanilla, and beat the batter until it is smooth.

Divide the batter between 2 lightly greased and floured 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans, smoothing the top, rap each pan on a hard surface twice to expel any air bubbles.

Bake the layers in the middle of a preheated 350-degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean and the layers pull away slightly from the sides of the pans. Let the layers cool in the pans on a rack for 8 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge of each pan, and invert the layers onto the racks. Let the layers cool completely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CARROT CAKE WITH MAPLE ICING
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups canola oil
4 large eggs
3 cups grated peeled carrots
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger*
Icing
10 ounces cream cheese (such as Philadelphia), room temperature
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

12 walnut halves (for garnish)

For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper. Butter and flour paper; tap out excess flour. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend. Whisk sugar and oil in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in carrots, walnuts and ginger. Divide batter between prepared pans.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 15 minutes. Turn out onto racks. Peel off waxed paper; cool cakes completely.

For icing: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed until well blended. Beat in maple syrup. Chill until just firm enough to spread, 30 minutes.

Place 1 cake layer on platter. Spread with 3/4 cup icing. Top with second layer. Spread remaining icing over entire cake. Arrange walnut halves around top edge. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.)

Makes 12 servings.

* I do not use the ginger, but add 1/2 cup raisins previously soaked in rum, to the batter instead. I use the butterpecan frosting (above) instead of the maple frosting.

This recipe is from Bon Appétit Magazine, published September 1999

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also very, very, good is the recipe for "No Fail Sugar Cookies".....its the one I use, I think its posted here on CC.

Regards,
Naty

LOVEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LOVEME Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:08pm
post #16 of 26

This is everyone favorite...
White Chocolate Cheesecake
2 D.H. French Vanilla Cake Mix
1 3 oz. package each of White Chocolate &
Cream Cheese
2/3 cup.sugar 8 Large Eggs
1 1/3 cup flour 2 tsp b.p
1/2 cup oil 2 sticks Butter,melted
2 1/2 cups milk 8 oz.sour cream
2 tsp.almond extract
2 tsp.Bakery Flavoring (order form King Arthur Flour Site)
Sift all dry ingreadients,melt butter add all wet together wisking eggs a little..add to dry mixing about 2 min.'s.
This will fill a 9 x 13 character pan,3 9" pans..or a 12x 18 sheet and a 8 inch pan.
Preheat at 350..BAKE at 325...watch and test.About 30 min.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:26pm
post #17 of 26

Here's my favorite cake recipe. It can be made with oranges or lemons both are so yummy.

1 pkg white cake mix
1small pkg white chocolate instant pudding
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 C butter softened
4 egg whites
1/2 C milk
1/2 C lemon or orange juice (fresh squeezed)
zest of two lemons or one orange

Mix all ingredients together, dump into prepared cake pans and bake at 325 until toothpick inserted in center comes clean.

This recipe is super yummy if you substitute orange or lemon juice for teh liquid in your buttercream, use almond extract to flavor the buttercream and add some zest to it for the filling and if you plan on covering with fondant, I use MMF, you can put zest in the buttercream you ice the cake with as well.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 26

I discovered this one years ago on the Internet and everyone that has tasted it begs for more.

STRAWBERRY TALL CAKE

Ingredients:

1 Yellow Cake Mix Moist or with Pudding in the Mix
3 Eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1-1/4 cups water
2 cups strawberries
1 package or a jar of strawberry glaze
1 package (8 oz) original cream cheese
½ cup sugar
10 oz container cool whip
1 cup confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)

CAKE:

Assemble cake as directed on package. Pour into 3 round greased and floured cake pans (8 or 9). Let cool.

GLAZE:

Slice strawberries and mix into glaze.

ICING:

Beat with electric mixer cream cheese, sugar, whipped topping and confectioners sugar until well blended.

ASSEMBLY:

Put down 1 cake (upside down) and spread cream cheese mixture on top, followed by strawberry glaze. Put other cake on top of first cake (upside down) and spread with cream cheese mixture, followed by strawberry glaze. Take last cake and put on top of other two layers (right side up) and spread remaining cream cheese mixture on top and sides of cake. You can also add a couple of strawberries on top of cake for decoration or even all over top. Place in refrigerator and let cool for about 2 hours. Keep refrigerated.

Christina

PeaceOfCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOfCake Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:35pm
post #19 of 26

What a great topic! It's nice to have some "tried and true" recipes. I'm always looking for recipes on CC, but a lot of them don't have 5 stars and I can't seem to figure out if there is a way to review the comments to see why someone gave it less than 5 stars (or how many people brought the rating down). Sooo, I don't try a lot of them because I hate to spend the time/money on something that may not be good. With these recipes from you guys, I will definitely try them out! Here's my recipe for Pastel de Tres Leches or "Three Milk Cake":

Pastel de Tres Leches

Cake:
1 C. Flour
2 tsps. Baking powder
3 large eggs (separated)
1 C. sugar
¼ c. milk

Milk Sauce:
1 c. heavy cream
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x9 pan. Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat 3 egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Continue beating and gradually add sugar, then beat in 3 egg yolks, one at a time.

Add flour mixture little by little while continuing to beat at low speed or stirring with spatula just until mixed. Add milk and continue beating until smooth.

Pour into pan and bake 25-30 minutes until browned and top springs back. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes.

While cake is cooling, combine all ingredients for milk sauce in a bowl and beat just until well-mixed. Leave cake in the pan and prick cake at 1 intervals with a toothpick (toothpick holes should pierce through to the bottom of the cake). Pour milk sauce slowly over cake. The cake absorbs the sauce as you pour it on so you may need to wait between pours for the sauce to fully absorb).

Refrigerate the cake for at least one hour (ideally overnight).

I make this a lot for holidays and everyone always loves it. I have never frosted it because the recipe as written makes the cake very soggy. I'm usually no fan of soggy stuff but this recipe is the exception because the sauce is so yummy. I usually make it in a corningware "bowl" and then prick it and pour the sauce in and serve it that way (sometimes with sprinkles). I've also baked it in a square pan and it has turned out fine. If you want to frost it, whipped frosting would probably taste best but I would say reduce the liquid by at least half and take cake out of pan before adding liquid. Wait awhile between pours so that the cake can completely absorb the liquid and it doesn't come out the bottom. This cake is best served cold....

My husband is from Mexico and I'm from the US and both of our families like this cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:53pm
post #20 of 26

This is a great thread. thumbs_up.gif Its making my mouth water. I can not wait to try the recipies.

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 1:17am
post #21 of 26

this is soooo simple! and only three ingredients......

Cherry Crisp

Take 1 can cherry pie filling and pour in the bottom of a 9x13 pan

In a separate bowl:

Melt 1 stick margarine
Mix in one box white cake mix (just the cake mix...no eggs, etc) till its a nice crumb mixture

Then just crumble the mixture by hand on top of the cherry pie filling

Bake at 350 for aprx 30 mins or until the top is golden brown

Yummy.....you can also use a yellow or coconut cake mix in place of the white......

I always keep these 3 things in my pantry......it has saved me several times when I've had unexpected guests!!!

Donna usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 3:26am
post #22 of 26

Thank you all for sharing your recipes. I look forward to trying all of these now that I know they are tried and true favorites, I hate trying new recipes and then they are flops.

Thanks again.
Jackie

bakescakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescakes1 Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 2:34pm
post #23 of 26

Euphoriabakery, can you omit the almond and add vanilla for your orange/lemon cake???? Just wondering for those allergic to nuts. If not, any other orange/lemon cakes out there???

Here is my favorite chocolate cake recipe:

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs - room temp
1 t. vanilla
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 stick of butter - softened

Mix all of the above in your mixing bowl.
Boil 2 cups of water on a pot on the stove. When it boils, add 1 Cup of cocoa powder. Boil and stir with a whisk until thick
Add to mixing bowl, pour slowly because mixture is very hot. Mix until well combined.
I usually use a strainer when pouring in the pans, sometime because of the hot mixture, everything doesn't combine well.
Pour into two 9 inch well greased pans. I use my own pan release.
Bake at 325 until done. Completely cool in pans before inverting onto a cooling rack

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 4:13pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakescakes1

Euphoriabakery, can you omit the almond and add vanilla for your orange/lemon cake???? Just wondering for those allergic to nuts. If not, any other orange/lemon cakes out there???

Sure, I personally like the combo of citrus with lmond extract, but am sure it would still be pretty good with vanilla.

PeaceOfCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOfCake Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 8:58pm
post #25 of 26

Jackie, I made your chocolate cake doctored recipe and my family loved it! My 4 year old polished off two pieces in about 3 minutes. My 10 y/o did the same and asked for a third. My DH who is SUPER picky about chocolate cake loved it too and said it was very "moist" - his main complaint about most chocolate cakes is that they are too dry.

Thanks again! Can't wait to try the other recipes on this thread!

PeaceofCake

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 11:42pm
post #26 of 26

This is my Great Aunt's recipe and has been a family favorite for years. It is very versitile and delicious.

Roberta's Cobbler

1 20 oz. can pie filling (apple, cherry & peach are great)
1 stick of butter or margarine (1/4 lb)
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp salt

Melt butter in 9" x 13" casserole dish. Mix flour, sugar, milk, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Pour mixture over the butter. Spoon fruit filling over this and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 40-50 minutes until nice and crispy on the edges. Great with ice cream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%