Wilton Cases

Decorating By asianmango1976 Updated 4 May 2005 , 12:32pm by ntertayneme

asianmango1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asianmango1976 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 4:05am
post #1 of 20

I was wondering at Michael's there is a case with tips and everything in it for 120.00.( of course using the 40% coupon) Is it worth buying it??

or should I buy Wilton I, II, and III for cake decorating.

I'm planning on taking some classes and was wondering what is the best one to buy.

Also, If I want to get colors.. What is the best brand to get? the wilton's one or other brands

Thanks,
brenda

19 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 4:50am
post #2 of 20

If you're planning on taking the Wilton classes, I would wait and get each course and the supplies as you need them.

For icing colors, Wilton are okay with the exception of red and black which are not very good. I use americolor. If you're going to be taking the Wilton classes though your instructor may want you to only use Wilton products.

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 5:46am
post #3 of 20

I must say that I do recommend getting the big kit. It not only gives you alot of tips and other items, but it also gives you a place to store it all for taking to class (and also when you deliver a cake you can store what you need for quick touch-ups). There will be a few things you will need to add for course two and three, but I actually bought those kits too. You can never have enough of some tips, and the 'extras' of other products will never go to waste, you will find yourself using them. When you are going through your classes, you will probably stick with what you are familiar with (wilton products) until you gain a little more confidence for trying new things.

As long as you are using your coupon, and you should also use coupons to buy the kits, you will be comming out ahead in the products you buy. The big case will have everything you need for course 1, including the practice boards, so you don't have to buy course one kit if you do not want to.

It really is your choice. Just look at what comes in what kit, think about the things you think you will add, then average out the cost of buying them separate. Which way is more cost efficient? Only you can decide.

I do agree on the americolor issue though. Or only buy 'No Taste Red' and start your black frosting with the wilton chocolate icing.

Good luck to you!
Crystal

P.S. Lisa, I am not dogging your point of view, just adding my opinion.

Lisa Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 6:00am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crylynn

P.S. Lisa, I am not dogging your point of view, just adding my opinion.

I would never think that. I hear differing views on everything. That's what makes this a great place to be. If we all thought the same way, what fun/help would that be? icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 11:59am
post #5 of 20

well, if it were me i would love to have the big kit they sell, but the question comes down to can you shell out the bucks all at once. And only you can answer that question. When i started doing cakes there was no way that i could afford to shell out the cost of that kit all at once. Now mind you i now have much more then even comes in that kit. But it was accumulated as needed. And i've been at this for over 10 years now.

Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 20

Hello
I have to add, that I agree with buying that kit!
After all of the things that I keep buying, I look back at that kit and think...man, this was in there! I should have just bought that!
I agree too, with having soooo many extras...this way you wont hold up the class...as you change tips, etc......you will have plenty.
PLUS, change your mind? Dont want it? EBAY! hahah!!
sahm

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 20

Lisa where do you get the americolor from? I have never heard of this. I just use Wilton's and am very disappointed when it comes to the red and black colors.

Lisa Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATE39

Lisa where do you get the americolor from? I have never heard of this. I just use Wilton's and am very disappointed when it comes to the red and black colors.

I order mine from Sugarcraft.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/coloring.htm#americolor

I buy the 4.5oz Super Black and Super Red

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 20

I got the big kit before I even took the class. It should have almost everything you need. You may need a few odds and ends but I found that I really did not need to purchase much after gettting it.

asianmango1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asianmango1976 Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 3:28am
post #10 of 20

Thank you so much with all the response....You guys have been so helpful!!!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 4:24am
post #11 of 20

Hi,
Try E-Bay first, they always have the kits on there.

KATE39 Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 20

THANK YOU LISA.

CATHY

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:16am
post #13 of 20

I just buy a little here and there.... I have way more then I use right now.... I still have things to buy, but until I place an order where I just add something, I have most of what I need and then some.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 11:06am
post #14 of 20

the kit is good but each course calls for quite a few things over and above waht is in either the kit or the course boxes so I'm like Peg only you know your budget I tell everyone buy me michaels gift cards and clip those coupons
Oh have fun with your classes!!!!

Lisa Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 1:22pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATE39

THANK YOU LISA.

CATHY

You're welcome.

It also might be a good idea to wait on big purchases until after you take your first class. What if you decide it's just not for you. My SIL was this way. She saw how much fun I was having and thought she might like it too. After a few cakes...she gravitated toward sewing and left the cake decorating to me.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 8:29am
post #16 of 20

I have all these pans I have never useed I mostly do 11x15 ,9x13,pan and I dont care to do the charater pans and have so many of them

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:08am
post #17 of 20

i just took the first wilton class and they told us to buy the big one cause it will save us money and frustration..and you can always add to it... thats what im gonna do.. i already have a bunch but i thought what could it hurt to have more?? lol

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 May 2005 , 6:29am
post #18 of 20

I bought the caddy box.... guess where it is????? In my cabinets empty! I don't like it when I open it w/ tips in it & they all fall out onto to floor!! So I just bought me a tool drawer thing at walmart & have that up on my counter tops for easy access. I have all my tips in order. I even had room to put other cake stuff. I love it!! When I have a wedding cake to transport I just bring a med. size bag with my tips & bags, spatula & anything else in a ziploc bag. It is so much easier.

If I were just getting into cake decorating I would think twice before I bought one. If you need it just for class I would just get a cheap tackle box for $5 & use that. That's just my opinion. I wish someone would have told me this tip before I bought that caddy. I could have saved money. Good luck!!!

KATE39 Posted 4 May 2005 , 12:19pm
post #19 of 20

I LOVE MY CADDY! IT HOLDS EVERYTHING I NEED AND THEN SOME. IT ALSO LETS THE KIDS KNOW THAT IT IS OFF LIMITS.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 May 2005 , 12:32pm
post #20 of 20

Before investing all that money in the "big" caddy kit, I'd make sure I really wanted to go into cake decorating. I just bought the kits as needed and other supplies needed while taking the courses. I found that I loved doing it (not that I'm that great at it, mind you), and I've gradually added stuff to my collection. This is just a suggestion. By all means, if you feel you will want to continue doing cake decorating, buy the completed caddy kit. You can never have too much to me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%