Ladies Fan Wedding Cake - I Finally Did It!

Decorating By Pyxxydust Updated 11 Apr 2006 , 7:14pm by Pyxxydust

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 26

This cake went through many "metamorphises" until this one. In fact - this wasn't even the "final" design - I originally made tassels to go in between the rope garlands and the fan was going to go above them, sort of slightly above the top of the cake. But they wouldn't hold when I started putting them in - silly me was focused on the final design and not the logistics of it all! The tassels were too heavy, plus the thickness of the rope garlands kept the tassel from adhering to the actual cake, so when I tried to adhere them to the garlands - everything would pull off. aaaaaaggggghhhhh! Just shows my inexperience - I've done lots of cakes but this was first official wedding cake, so I really wanted it to be perfect! So my hubby helped me out and we just ditched the tassels (oh, all that work I did at 2 in the morning to get them done!) and just did the fans - somehow he got them to attach with a mixture of royal icing and melted chocolate - and I actually liked the final product BETTER than what I had in mind! So anyway, it's all hindsight, and make me realize why I love my hubby so much! Together, we're the perfect cake decorator - he's good at the logistics of everything and I can execute them! Ha ha.

Anyway, the gumpaste fan on top was fun to do - my first experience with gumpaste. I got the cutter from Scott Clark Wooley in NYC - who is awesome - I never talked to him but we emailed and he was just so helpful and kind - I just love the guy.

It was fun, but thank goodness it's over! I was in total panic mode the day of the wedding!
LL

25 replies
sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 26

The fan is wonderful, your did a great job.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 26

Woo Hoo! Look at that!! Great job! That fan is way to cool!!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 26

Your cake is beautiful!!!

(I agree with you, those hubbies do come in handy now & then!!!)

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 26

Your panic doesn't show on the cake you did a great job.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 26

Fantastic job on your first wedding cake!!!!!! And your DH is absolutely wonderful too........

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 26

With a 1st wedding cake like that, I'm sure there will be many more to come!! Great job!

Pyxxydust Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 26

Thanks guys! You're so sweet! I was so panicked about it that I'm so glad that it turned out well - so it makes me feel so good that you guys liked it! I look at everyone else's cakes on this site and they just blow me away - it's totally inspiring - and I got a lot of great ideas from here. Thanks!

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 26

Beautiful cake!

My hubby helps me with the mechanics of cake decorating all the time. I can envision something but can't figure out how to make it work, but he can!

mcshay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcshay Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 26

Ohhh! So coooollll!!! Love it! I'll be able to do that in about 10, 20, maybe 30 years.

It is simply fabulous!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 26

Excellent job! Congrats!!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 26

Great job, sounds like you have a honey of a husband. I do too...he helps by cleaning the kitchen and I feed him the scraps. He's happy!

Pyxxydust Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 26

thank you guys! It's true - hubby's have a way of understanding the "mechanics" of everything! It's so important to have one that's supportive! I'm glad you guys have helpful hubby's too!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 26

Very beautiful cake! You did a great job!!!!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 26

Wow! Excellent job! Gotta say this is the first fan cake I've seen and I really like it! icon_smile.gif GREAT JOB!!!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 11:51pm
post #16 of 26

O.K. that's too beautiful. I can bake but I don't know if I will ever be able to decorate. Beautiful, Just Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:41am
post #17 of 26

Your cake is just beautiful..........I am so impressed. I too just finished my first wedding cake Saturday and am so glad it is over. What stress. So glad your dh was there for you as mine was......mine was also there rolling fondant and cutting dowels. Your cake is just awesome. The fan looks wonderful. You go girl, I'm sure you will have tons of orders pouring in.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:06am
post #18 of 26

Your cake is beautiful!! The design is so original, I never would have thought that up! I love the colors, too!!!

Pyxxydust Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:36pm
post #19 of 26

You guys, I'm blushing! Thank you for such kind words! To tanyas cakes - I love the colors too - ivory and scarlett red were the bride's wedding colors. I never realized what a pretty combination it was! But it took a while to get the colors right. Wilton's Ivory was too yellowy so I experimented until I found Americolor's ivory. Also, finding the right red took a long time - I needed a deep, crimson type red and all the Wilton's, and even Americolor's, were too bright or orangy for me. I finally found something called Chinese Red in this rinky dink cake decorating shop near me. I can't even remember the company - Cake Master or something (not Chefmaster - I have some of those too) - something that's not very well known but they have great colors. Anyway, live and learn - that's why I had so much fun with this cake cuz I got to try things I've never done before!

cats28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats28 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:05pm
post #20 of 26

Oh my, I just love your cake. You did a great job. Congrats!
Tina

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:09pm
post #21 of 26

Beautiful Beautiful Job! YOu should be so proud Talant like deserves a well deserved thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:14pm
post #22 of 26

I wish I could have seen the bride's face when she saw her cake. This is really beautiful.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:31pm
post #23 of 26

Pyxxydust - could you tell us a little more about the fan? You had stated that you got a ?"cutter"? from Scott Clark Wooley out of NY. I love the cake and have never seen a fan out of gumpaste. I love working with gumpaste. I'd really appreciate it if you could share some more info on it. It is just beautiful and I'd love to try it. I'm heading to NYC this weekend to visit my in-laws and would love to know if there are some items that could be purchased while there.

Pyxxydust Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:40pm
post #24 of 26

Sure! I'd be happy too! Scott Clark Wooley is based in NYC and while he may not be as famous as Nicholas Lodge or Collette Peters, I think he's every bit as talented. He teaches classes and has instructional videos, and he makes his own tools, including gumpaste "cutters." For example, the one I bought from him makes an individual slat for a fan, so you may up to 20 of them, depending on how full you want the fan, and then you attach them at the bottom with a wire and with a ribbon at the top. I think he has examples of the other types of tools on his website. In fact, he has two websites - cakesbydesign.com and cakesbydesign.cc. The one ending in .com is more a gallery, to show his work, but I think the one ending in cc is more for decorators like us, because he has an online store. In fact, I bought his book from amazon.com and I can't WAIT to get it but he's doing a second printing, so it's delayed until the end of the month. So he was nice enough to send me the directions for the fan in email. He is so incredibly nice and helpful - I couldn't believe that he actually responds to his own email! There's a place on the cc website where you can email him and ask for directions to his shop, and I'm sure he'll respond to you really quickly. It was always like within 15 minutes when I emailed him (and it was a lot, the poor man, but he was very sweet and patient). So anyway, since he makes a lot of own tools, you can probably get stuff from him that you can't get anywhere else. I'm jealous - I wish I could go visit his shop! Anyway, let me know how it goes if you get to go, and if you get to meet him personally!

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 7:12pm
post #25 of 26

Well, I just sent off an e-mail requesting an audience with the King of Gumpaste - no - really - I e-mailed Scott asking if I could visit his place. I told him how you gave him credit for supplying a cutter and helping with your beautiful fan and that I'd love to stop by to do a little shopping if it's possible. I'll let you know if I get a response. icon_razz.gif

Pyxxydust Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 7:14pm
post #26 of 26

That's so sweet! thanks for mentioning me, so he knows that something may actually come out of all the aggravation I caused him! Ha ha. By the way - I love your "tag line" under your messages about laughing often - I wish more people felt that way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%