Can You Half A Regular 2 Layer Cake Recipe?

Decorating By Sina Updated 26 Apr 2005 , 9:59pm by Sina

Sina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sina Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:51am
post #1 of 6

I am doing the cake(s) for a co-worker's bridal shower next month. She loves my Red Velvett cake, so I plan to do a 2 layer10in/6in RV. Then I would like to do maybe two to three six inch cakes in different flavors. If I cut a regular 2 layer cake recipe in half for two six inch cake pans, will it bake properly, and will that be enough batter? Has anyone ever done this? icon_confused.gif

5 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 1:58am
post #2 of 6

Yes...you can divide the batter between 2 6" pans. Depending on your recipe, you may have a little batter left over. Just be sure to fill the pans half full.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 1:59am
post #3 of 6

Instead of trying to split the mix, why not go ahead and bake another layer, or cupcakes, something to use the rest of the batter, wrap it well and freeze it, then you'll have a practice cake or a spare next time you bake. Janice

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 2:13am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina

I am doing the cake(s) for a co-worker's bridal shower next month. She loves my Red Velvett cake, so I plan to do a 2 layer10in/6in RV. Then I would like to do maybe two to three six inch cakes in different flavors. If I cut a regular 2 layer cake recipe in half for two six inch cake pans, will it bake properly, and will that be enough batter? Has anyone ever done this? icon_confused.gif

I think I might be misunderstanding your question. You have a cake recipe that you want to use to make 6" cakes. Do you want to cut it in half and use half the recipe to fill 2 6" pans? I was thinking you meant half the recipe for one pan and half the recipe for the other. I don't think half of a recipe will be enough to fill 2 6" pans. Each pan takes about 2 cups of batter. How much batter does your recipe make?

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 2:58am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina

hi sina! can you send me your recipe for the red velvet cake??
[email protected]

thanks!!

Sina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sina Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Lisa and Veejaytx. Yes Lisa, I thought I could cut the recipe in half and fill two 6 inch. You are right, not enough batter. My recipe is about 5 1/2 to 6 cups. Thanks for responding ladies. Momof3jotynjake, I will post my red velvet cake on this website. Thanks again for everyon's help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%