Italian Villa Wedding (Help Me)

Decorating By darlene_000 Updated 27 May 2007 , 4:03pm by NewbeeBaker

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 46

My husbands best friend from HS is getting married in May. I volunteered for the cake. They just sent me pictures of the reception site, an Italian Villa style house ... this will be the base for ideas on the cake.... I need some help/brainstorming. It will probably be a 3-tiered square. I was thinking the base color of the cake to match the house, that antique yellow color---- her flower colors are fuschia.... anyone know of some good cake ideas? I was just speechless when I saw the reception site. Here it is:

45 replies
markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 46

I really dont have any italian cake ideas that would fit in with such a nice reception area. But the first thing that poped into my head was fondant spaghetti and meatball cake.

darlene_000 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 46

hahaha... Im sure spagetti & meatball wedding cake wouldn't go down very well icon_smile.gif

Oh while Im at it, what size cake for approx 150 people (Other desserts are being served also)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 46

ok...high concept idea

tiers stacked off set

tile roof
slate floor
the fountain from the courtyard (yes that is supposed to be lion icon_rolleyes.gif)
the tree from the courtyard (the dark frilly thing on right)
urns (1 each side) from the patio
widows on sides like on villa.
if doing bride and groom topper, it would be put in large area in front of fountain.
LL

darlene_000 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 46

Doug you always have such amazing ideas.... thats a little out of my league though... and the bride wants a pretty simple elegant 3 or 4 tiered cake....

ddmckinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddmckinney Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 46

that was a pretty impressive idea. wish my mind was that creative that quick.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 46

I think making the base color look kind of antique perhaps sponging on some gold. I think something elegant yet old world.

Doug Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 46

ok then...

your idea of yellow color for base icing (fondant?)

four tiers.

bottom and middle w/ green ribbon to match the shutters.

middle and top w/ ribbon to match the red of the roof

topper -- in shape of one of the urns w/ bouquet of flowers -- if possible that match her flower for wedding.

for added interest, turn the tiers as the rise.

darlene_000 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 46

Ohhh I like the urn cake topper idea.......

The second picture, the stone on the floor kind of made me think of mosaic pattersn... but Im not sure how traditional she wants to be... Im compiling an e-mail with different ideas....

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 46

Check out these.
http://www.cakedivas.com/photos/
http://www.fancycakesbylauren.com/ (this site has several lovely cakes)

I also like Doug's and MissRobins ideas.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 46

I forgot to mention that the villa is absolutely gorgeous, it will be a beautiful wedding.

darlene_000 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 4:24pm
post #12 of 46

I know! When she showed me the pictures I was speechless... it's gorgeous. It belongs to her Bishop from church-- a million dollar + property in the Biltmore area Arizona.. very rich snobby area LOL. I can't believe how beautiful it is, and free for them! sheesh LOL.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 46

Hope I can insert this picture- it would be great using the antique gold for the background (I like the green color too!).
(edited to say I don't know who the artist of the cake is)
LL

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 46

Oh wow! I love the green! Then you could do yellow accents or vice versa! I am not sure how good lilac color would go with those though? Maybe more of a grape color? Then you could add grap vines and grape clusters instead of the traditional flowers!

(Doug that is crazy how fast you come up with ideas! icon_eek.gif )

darlene_000 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 46

That cake is gorgeous... but it looks a little out of my league.... I doubt she will want fondant, so it will be a buttercream cake, which you can't really do the brush emroidery on right?

I absolutely LOVE that cake though!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 46

are you OUT of your MIND!? icon_surprised.gif your cakes are WONDERFUL!!! You could so do that! icon_wink.gif
Remember...you can have bc underneath and you can buy some really great fondant online! I don't think you would have to do embroidery...you could just make bc leaves to go into that leaf shape! I think that is an easy leaf!

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:36pm
post #17 of 46

www.gateaux-inc.com has some very pretty cakes. Maybe you could get some ideas from there. She has some very simple and elegant cakes.

That villa is sooooo gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

darlene_000 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 46

step0nmi,

Thanks! I think my fear is more about the fondant LOL. I have yet to cover a cake, I normally use it for accents... although I have 1 & 1/2 months to practice, and Im not afraid of a challenge.

I forwarded her the picture anyway, she is going to browse around online tonight and send me pictures of cakes she likes... so we shall see...

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:52pm
post #19 of 46

Since she wants it simple how about white or ivory buttercream Satin ribbon to match building and brushed embriodered flowers and leaves. And Flowers to match her colors.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:57pm
post #20 of 46

Darlene-
You could do the cake in buttercream and pipe the ferns on. In fact my first thought of a tuscan design is where the BC is intentionally left sort of rough looking (maybe not for this design though). I agree, you aren't giving yourself enough credit. Hope it works out! thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:23am
post #21 of 46

How about a deep ivory color, The Urn on the top tier with flowers & ferns cascading from it to create a beautiful garden theme & incorporate the little cupid/cherub that is near the entrance to the house.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:52pm
post #22 of 46

Here's another cake pic for inspiration. This is a Scott Clark Woolley cake.

http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/DreamComeTrue.html

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:52pm
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaker

Here's another cake pic for inspiration. This is a Scott Clark Woolley cake.

http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/DreamComeTrue.html

I love that cake it does look like a dream.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:10pm
post #24 of 46

I think the simple design of having the cakes in a antique off white color with the ribbon around the bottoms of each layer sounds lovely. Simple but elegant...maybe the same colors of her flowers cascading down the side or a few on the top..

JMO

Christi

darlene_000 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:11pm
post #25 of 46

Her flowers will be fuschia, I have a very hard time picturing fuschia/pink flowers on an antique gold/yellow cake... is that just me?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:58pm
post #26 of 46

Me too...I was wondering that myself.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:08pm
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

ok...high concept idea

tiers stacked off set

tile roof
slate floor
the fountain from the courtyard (yes that is supposed to be lion icon_rolleyes.gif)
if doing bride and groom topper, it would be put in large area in front of fountain.

Was that a ghost in the door????? icon_biggrin.gif
Great ideas!

Doug Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:10pm
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizshelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

ok...high concept idea

tiers stacked off set

tile roof
slate floor

Was that a ghost in the door????? icon_biggrin.gif
Great ideas!

nooooo....that's supposed to be the lion head fountain. -- there are limits to my drawing ability!!!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:12pm
post #29 of 46

maybe like the sopa cake by mypastrychef( i think thats who )

mopsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mopsy Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:37pm
post #30 of 46

Not knowing what the bride wants, and seeing the pictures, if it was me, I would be thinking along the lines of a garden type cake. I love working in buttercream and using the colors of the building or not would be up to you. The reception will probably lean toward that courtyard right? As people walk in they could be seeing this gorgeous cake that you are so capable of making out of buttercream icinng sitting on that table. Using a garden theme, maybe 3 layers with NO separators, use the brides colors for flowers. An antique white background and the idea of that urn on the top bursting with flowers is wonderful!!!! The leaves could be the green of the shutters and some of the accent flowers could be the color of the house. Make some of the flowers for the urn on florist wire out of royal icing so they can give a dramatic effect to your display. If they want a bride and groom topper, it can sit on the bottom tier or right in front. Well that is my two cents. Lots of wonderful ideas. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%