Phoney E-Mails From Paypal

Decorating By SquirrellyCakes Updated 27 Apr 2005 , 3:09am by SquirrellyCakes

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 9

Details: Please Report These

Just wanted to warn all of you because I know that many of us use PayPal accounts.
I received what looked exactly like a PayPal E-mail this morning. It stated that I needed to update my account information, exactly the wording that they send you when you actually do need to. Anyway it provided a direct link - which I never use. And right away I received a notice from my Norton Anti-virus of a JS. Trojan.Blinder. Now these are viruses that are in E-mail addresses, phoney E-mail addresses and are usually on E-mails from what appear to be PayPal or bank E-mails and they are fraudulent E-mails attempting to get your financial information.
So do not ever use the direct link they provide. Always send a copy of it to the institution that they pretend to represent asking if this did indeed come from them. I sent a copy to PayPal security and indeed it was fraudulent.
It looked absolutely authentic, so please beware and always go to the actual sites and don't use these links.
Hugs Sqirrelly Cakes

8 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 9

thanks for reminding all of us! I never update my accts ever, without calling companies first!!!!
Want to hear something??? I have a card that I have had since my oldest son was born... I used my ssn of course to get this account....its on all my credit reports as my ssn... never had a problem until the last two monthss.... ssn was switched.... what was weird...it is my oldest sons ssn, not mine! its fixed now, but it makes me wonder how that happened.... yes our ssn are closely related, and perhaps I, being a single mom at the time, gave his ssn instead of mine...but if I did how would it be under all my credit reports under my ssn.... so now my oldest son (14) has a credit history.... I think they are going to erase it, but who knows...its good, so it wont hurt him later!!!! so its things like that, that I dont do things by email/online,,,its me calling company and writing...

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks SquirrellyCakes...I've gotten these too. They're called spoof emails and they look official (like from eBay or Paypal). I use a firewall called Zonealarm. They're a security alliance partner with eBay. They have a new, free feature which will warn you if the page you're on is a spoof.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 9

Fortunately I don't ever use the links even on the real E-mails. Funny thing is I haven't used the account in quite awhile, but used it last week and so it almost seemed plausible that there might be a problem. But I got the message from Norton as soon as the E-mail came.
Just wanted to warn others how realistic these can seem and also to always have a current edition of the latest in Anti-virus, firewalls, Anti-Spam, you name it. I have Live-Update but still scan every few days and also do a complete computer scan for viruses of all files, once a week.
Though I have received phoney E-mails before this one - even the address on this one looked authentic. Never ever use the direct links provided.
Anyway, we can always use a reminder, right folks? These people scare the heck out of me, imagine what could happen to people who aren't up-to-date or not naturally suspicious!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 6:01am
post #5 of 9

make sure you forward these emails to [email protected].

i've been getting several of these a day lately.

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 8:24am
post #6 of 9

Thanks SquirrellyCakes for the update. I know what it is like when your idenity gets stolen write from your computer and even on the phone when making purchases. You never know who is on the other line taking purchase orders from you. I had to contact my paypal account manager and them him about the problem I had this year and was told that I needed to delete my account number from the system which I had used when I purchased something through ebay. So we have be very careful. I would contact the companies that sends e-mails requesting people to update financial or any personal information. I recently got an e-mail from someone who stated that the online banking has changed their format of website, and I'm saying to myself, I did not get any thing in the mail that their website was changing, so I called them up and they told me that the format of their website has not changed. So yes, be ware of fools out there that are trying to harm our computer system.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, I sent a copy to PayPal right away and then shut down my system recovery system, ran a scan of all files and ran all of the anit-virus information again.
Yes, I have a cousin in the U.S. that had his identity stolen. He realized it when the sheriff showed up at the door, what a mess. It ended up that he couldn't recover a lot of finances and had a devil of a time clearing his name, it took 3 years!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks SquirrellyCakes,
I received one the other day and fortunately for me, when I tried to open the direct link it came up that they couldn't find server.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 3:09am
post #9 of 9

Scarey, lucky you that it didn't link!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%